Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Ajith Ranabahu <aj...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/01 00:42:26 UTC

Re: WSS4J 2.0(?)

Hi,
I'm also +1 on this move - it makes things modular and easy to handle.
BTW I don't think you need to move the integration tests - they are
*Axis2* integration tests and they should not go to any other project!
 Of course the rampart module will be external after the change but
that does not mean that the integration tests have to be too :)
I would also like to draw your attention to the structure of the
projects as well. If you look at the current project structure almost
all the projects that are under the ws project space are mostly
independent of each other [1]. For example WSS4J,Woden (which is
really incubated) and other tit bits in ws-commons. It is true that
there are projects that are explicitly focused on adding support to
other projects (like Kandula and Sandesha) but what I feel is that
since Savan and rampart are going to be very Axis2 specific, they
would not fit as immediate children of the ws project space. To me it
makes good sense to have a sub project called Axis2-modules (whatever
the name you guys prefer. I don't want it to be another naming war :))
and have savan and rampart under that - just like what we have in
ws-commons right now.

do I make any sense ?

Ajith

[1] http://ws.apache.org/#Project+List

On 8/31/06, Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk> wrote:
> Another big +1 from me too.
>
> I was really worried about the increasing number of modules within Axis2
> project, but didn't take this up as people were busy with other
> important issues. I'd like to add two more things to Ruchith's proposal.
>
> 1. Move Savan also to a sub-project out of Axis2
>
> 2. Write some integration tests in Axis2 to compensate the valuable
> tests Ruchith had written to test the integrity of Axis2 client and
> server. Whenever you do some random changes in Axis2, security tests
> were failing as they were the only tests which tested the real
> integration. Since these tests also will be moved with Rahas and
> Rampart, we need to have some tests to compensate them
>
> 3. Need to have a gump like thingy setup to run all the tests in Axis2
> and related projects and to bug whoever breaks the total build.
>
> Any volunteers?
>
> -- Chinthaka
>
> Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-08-31 at 20:28 +0530, Ruchith Fernando wrote:
> >> Basically how about pushing these up to be two new sub projects or the
> >> Apache Web services project :
> >>
> >> Ramaprt - WS-Security and WS-SecureConversation implementation
> >> Rahas - WS-Trust implementation
> >>
> >> This is similar to the way we have Sandesha (WS-RM impl), and they
> >> will have their own release cycles etc. ?
> >
> > Big +1 from me. I don't see any need to clutter up WSS4J with all this
> > stuff - let's keep WSS4J at the level it is and add separate projects to
> > cover the other functionality (which are Axis2 and Axiom coupled
> > anyway).
> >
> > Sanjiva.

Ajith Ranabahu

Re: Refactoring WS Projects [ Was : Re: WSS4J 2.0(?)]

Posted by Ruchith Fernando <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On 9/1/06, Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk> wrote:
> Unfortunately I do not agree with this.
>
> Are you saying integration tests of Rampart and Axis2 should live in
> Axis2? And you want to move Rampart out of Axis2?
> For me these are two contradictory statements.
>
> What if tomorrow, Sandesha, Kandula, Savan, etc., wants to have their
> tests within Axis2? Do you agree?

I see this boiling down to the following questions:

  - Can we have a volunteer to develop a set of integration test cases
to test the features tested by rampart and rahas?

- If not AND if we still move the tests can we have a volunteer to
setup something like GUMP to send out an alert when there's a problem
in the dependant project due to a change in another?

If we cannot do any of the above, IMHO it is better to keep the tests in Axis2.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ruchith

Re: Refactoring WS Projects [ Was : Re: WSS4J 2.0(?)]

Posted by David Illsley <da...@gmail.com>.
What about neethi? With rahas, savan, security, sandesha, secpolicy
all being WS subprojects should neethi be also?
David

Posted by Ruchith Fernando <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

On 9/1/06, Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk> wrote:
> Unfortunately I do not agree with this.
>
> Are you saying integration tests of Rampart and Axis2 should live in
> Axis2? And you want to move Rampart out of Axis2?
> For me these are two contradictory statements.
>
> What if tomorrow, Sandesha, Kandula, Savan, etc., wants to have their
> tests within Axis2? Do you agree?
>
> The ideal solution I'd like to see is Axis2 project which has
>
> 1. the core of Axis2 which includes:
>
> addressing
> adb
> adb-codegen
> codegen
> common
> integration (without rampart, rahas test cases)
> kernel
> samples
> webapp
> wsdl
> java2wsdl(we can move this out to commons)
>
> 2. The extension to Axis2 which are sub-projects of Axis2 which includes:
> jaxbri
> jaxws
> jibx
> saaj(having this in the core project is fine with me)
> spring
> tools
> xmlbeans

The core components of axis2 (#1 above) and the axis2 sub projects (#2
above) will be modules within axis2 right?

> 3. Different sub projects under WS project for:
> rahas
> savan
> security
> sandesha

+1

> secpolicy

I believe secpoliicy can move into ws-commons since its used by both
Rahas and Rampart.

Posted by Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk>.

Re: WSS4J 2.0(?)

Posted by Ajith Ranabahu <aj...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

--
Ajith Ranabahu

Re: WSS4J 2.0(?)

Posted by Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk>.

Re: WSS4J 2.0(?)

Posted by Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk>.
Ruchith Fernando wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the case of Axiom I think we can now consider it to be a very much
> general XML object model, and I believe it has many other users other
> than Axis2 and Axis2 related projects ... and it sure can be moved out
> of ws-commons (may be as a Apache TLP ??) and it probably will get
> more visibility and more ppl will use it.

Definite +1 for this. I know Tuscany and Abdera guys are using Axiom a
lot. Especially Abdera has nothing to do with Web services.

-- Chinthaka

Re: Refactoring WS Projects [ Was : Re: WSS4J 2.0(?)]

Posted by Jaliya Ekanayake <jn...@gmail.com>.
Oops, I did not mean to get them under WS*, we can keep them outside WS*

-Jaliya

Posted by Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk>.

Re: WSS4J 2.0(?)

Posted by Jaliya Ekanayake <jn...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

Few thoughts from me.

We cannot expect people to use QoS projects like Kandula and Sandesha
without axis1 or axis2 and also we can expect axiom and WSS4J to be used
more independently. In addition they all come under WS* projects. So I would
like to suggest this.

Let's make all these modules separate sub projects may be under WS* and then
have a clear definition of their tasks and compatibilities so that the sub
projects can have an SNAPSHOT of axis2 or axis1 and have its own development
cycles. (Similar to what we have for Sandesha and Kandula).

As Chinthaka mentioned we need those integration tests to be in axis2 and
also the sub projects should have a set of test cases to check their
compatibility with the latest axis2 version that they support.

In addition we need to have some links in the respective web pages for the
users to know what modules(sub projects) they should use to get the required
QoSs.

Thanks,
-Jaliya

Posted by Ruchith Fernando <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

www.ruchith.org

Re: WSS4J 2.0(?)

Posted by Ajith Ranabahu <aj...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
> [...]

> > On 8/31/06, Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk> wrote:
> > > Another big +1 from me too.
> > >
> > > I was really worried about the increasing number of modules within Axis2
> > > project, but didn't take this up as people were busy with other
> > > important issues. I'd like to add two more things to Ruchith's proposal.
> > >
> > > 1. Move Savan also to a sub-project out of Axis2
> > >
> > > 2. Write some integration tests in Axis2 to compensate the valuable
> > > tests Ruchith had written to test the integrity of Axis2 client and
> > > server. Whenever you do some random changes in Axis2, security tests
> > > were failing as they were the only tests which tested the real
> > > integration. Since these tests also will be moved with Rahas and
> > > Rampart, we need to have some tests to compensate them
> > >
> > > 3. Need to have a gump like thingy setup to run all the tests in Axis2
> > > and related projects and to bug whoever breaks the total build.

Ajith Ranabahu

Re: WSS4J 2.0(?)

Posted by Ruchith Fernando <ru...@gmail.com>.
Ajith,