Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Josh Fischer <jo...@joshfischer.io> on 2022/05/02 13:57:07 UTC

Re: Idea: Monthly Members Moment/Critical Committer Communications

The newsletter has been updated and just about ready for sending out.. Not
sure of the whos or hows of getting this across the foundation.  Is there
a preferred way that I can get this distributed?  Is this something only
a member can/should do?

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
I just added the CFP information about ApacheCon Asia 2022.
Hope I can catch up with the train this month.

Willem Jiang

Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@apache.org>.
Thank you - I will make sure to add a bullet point to the next draft.

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.
Happy to take on July one (I have Airflow Summit last week of May so I
expect heavy down/recovery time right after).

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Tue, 2022-05-03 at 14:20 -0500, Josh Fischer wrote:
> Yes, I will take point for the June newsletter.

Please start a new thread for each month's newsletter. This one is
getting pretty unweildy to search through. :)

Thanks!

--Rich

Posted by Josh Fischer <jo...@joshfischer.io>.
Yes, I will take point for the June newsletter.

On Tue, May 3, 2022 at 2:08 PM Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2022-05-03 at 12:47 -0500, Josh Fischer wrote:
> > Yeah!  Next month let’s work on making the email cleaner.  Less is
> > more
> > :-).  I saw what was sent, it was still a bit much to parse through
> > and
> > understand.
> >

> Thank you, Josh, for handling this. Are you willing to take point again
> for June?
>
> --Rich
>

> > On Tue, May 3, 2022 at 12:35 PM Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
> > wrote:

> > > members-notify@ but I approved it.
> > >
> > > As did I.  :-)

> > > time.

> > > - Sam Ruby

> > > so
> > > still

> > > email.

> > > it.

> > > possible

> > > --
> > Sent from A Mobile Device

Sent from A Mobile Device

Re: Idea: Monthly Members Moment/Critical Committer Communications

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.
+1

Posted by Josh Fischer <jo...@joshfischer.io>.
Yeah!  Next month let’s work on making the email cleaner.  Less is more
:-).  I saw what was sent, it was still a bit much to parse through and
understand.

On Tue, May 3, 2022 at 12:35 PM Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:

> On Tue, May 3, 2022 at 1:30 PM Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I could not find where we decided whether to use members@ or
> members-notify@ but I approved it.
>
> As did I.  :-)
>
> > If anyone objects to the mail list, we can have that discussion for next
> time.
> >
> > Craig
>
> - Sam Ruby
>
> > > On May 3, 2022, at 10:16 AM, Josh Fischer <jo...@joshfischer.io> wrote:
> > >
> > > sent.

> so
> still

> email.

> it.

> possible

> > Craig L Russell
> > clr@apache.org

Sent from A Mobile Device

Re: Idea: Monthly Members Moment/Critical Committer Communications

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.
Agree. Makes perfect sense Bertrand. The reason for members-notify@ is very
clearly stated in the minutes and it's not that :).

J.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
 -Hi,

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
I could not find where we decided whether to use members@ or members-notify@ but I approved it.

If anyone objects to the mail list, we can have that discussion for next time.

Craig

> On May 3, 2022, at 10:16 AM, Josh Fischer <jo...@joshfischer.io> wrote:
>
> sent.
>
> On Tue, May 3, 2022 at 12:05 PM Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com> wrote:
>
>> Good idea Rich. Converted all subjects to plain text, compressed them so
>> that they fit in three short bullet points (not too long paragraph, still
>> comprehensible) and added the link from Rich :)

>>> https://lists.apache.org/list?members@apache.org:2022-4 is a possible
>>> link to that, in that it lists all of the threads that were active in
>>> April.

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org

Re: Idea: Monthly Members Moment/Critical Committer Communications

Posted by Josh Fischer <jo...@joshfischer.io>.
sent.

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Posted by Josh Fischer <jo...@joshfischer.io>.
Sam Ruby, suggested a plain text version for this round of the email. I

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.

Posted by Josh Fischer <jo...@joshfischer.io>.

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.
Updated. I think it's cool.

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.

Posted by Josh Fischer <jo...@joshfischer.io>.
I plan on sending the newsletter in a few hours.  If someone wants to add
anymore details please add them asap.

On Tue, May 3, 2022 at 7:39 AM Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2022-05-03 at 12:35 +0200, Jarek Potiuk wrote:
> > I looked through it - I have one other comment/proposal: should we
> > maybe
> > add a digest of discussions running on members@a.o ?  I think a lot
> > of
> > people does not follow up those and while it is easy to look at the
> > list in
> > archives, maybe listing the discussions with one-line summary would
> > be good
> > ?
> >
> > Happy to make such a digest if others agree it's a good idea.
>

> Yes, but ... I think it's very important that we don't make the email
> longer than one screen-full, as that will undermine the point here of
> it being only the most important things that every member MUST know.
>
> One option is to put that digest on a separate page, and just provide a
> link to it?

Sent from A Mobile Device

Re: Idea: Monthly Members Moment/Critical Committer Communications

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Le mar. 3 mai 2022 à 08:22, Christian Grobmeier <gr...@apache.org> a écrit :
> Is the move to the new privacy policy interesting enough to be added to the bullet points?
> It’s a boring topic topic too many but maybe worth to mention due to its impact on websites..

Definitely worth mentioning IMO.

-Bertrand

Re: Idea: Monthly Members Moment/Critical Committer Communications

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@apache.org>.
Hi
Is the move to the new privacy policy interesting enough to be added to the bullet points? It’s a boring topic topic too many but maybe worth to mention due to its impact on websites
Cheers

--
The Apache Software Foundation
V.P., Data Privacy

Posted by Josh Fischer <jo...@joshfischer.io>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

Posted by Josh Fischer <jo...@joshfischer.io>.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Mon, May 2, 2022 at 9:57 AM Josh Fischer <jo...@joshfischer.io> wrote:

> The newsletter has been updated and just about ready for sending out.. Not
> sure of the whos or hows of getting this across the foundation.  Is there
> a preferred way that I can get this distributed?  Is this something only
> a member can/should do?

Emails sent to members-notify@apache.org will be placed into a
moderation queue, and if approved, will be sent to all ASF members.
So anybody can send the email, but in general, there is no guarantee
that such emsils will get approved.  In this case, however, approval
is virtually guaranteed as the email is expected.

I'd recommend sending the emails as plain text.  My attempt last month
to copy/paste from the wiki resulted in sub-optimal formatting.

Thanks for following up!

- Sam Ruby