Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Peter DePasquale <pe...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/17 18:56:32 UTC

Chainsaw and Log4j2

Can anyone clarify the status of chainsaw w.r.t Log4j2?  It seems that
chainsaw is pretty old and no longer being developed. Does it work
with log4j2? Thanks.

--
Peter J. DePasquale, Ph.D.
Department of Computer Science

Re: Chainsaw and Log4j2

Posted by Scott Deboy <sc...@gmail.com>.
Chainsaw has been updated and offered via developer snapshots, but
those updates haven't been released.  The latest developer snapshot is
available at http://people.apache.org/~sdeboy

We are working on an updated release of log4j extras, which Chainsaw
needs.  Once extras is released, we'll release an updated version of
Chainsaw as soon as possible.

As for log4j2 support, the latest developer snapshot of Chainsaw was
recently updated to leverage the 'advertiser' capability built into
Log4j2.

The advertiser mechanism enables log4j2 to advertise fileappender
configurations via multicast DNS/zeroconf.  Chainsaw can discover
these advertised configurations, and you can start tailing the log
file without having to configure Chainsaw at all, just by
double-clicking on the discovered appender entry in Chainsaw's
'Zeroconf' tab.

For more information on how to enable the advertiser mechanism in
log4j2, see http://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/manual/configuration.html#AdvertisingAppenderConfigurations

To use the multicast DNS advertiser, you need to add the jmdns
(http://jmdns.sourceforge.net) jar to your appender-side classpath and
specify a few parameters in your appender configuration.  Once your
log file has started generating entries in the log file, you can start
Chainsaw and double-click on the entry that shows up in the Zeroconf
tab in order to remotely tail the log file.

>From there, you can save off that Chainsaw 'receiver' configuration,
so you can tail the log file from Chainsaw even when the advertiser
mechanism isn't advertising the appender details.

Feel free to send additional questions to the list.

Scott