Posted to user@hive.apache.org by sumit khanna <su...@yahoo.com> on 2009/08/14 21:07:43 UTC

how to access s3 files from ec2 master node

Hi,
i launched a cluster using hadoo-ec2 scripts. I then sshed into the masternode
After i log into hive i tried creating a table
hive> create external table kv (key int, values string)  location 's3n://data.s3ndemo.hive/kv';
FAILED: Error in metadata: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Wrong FS: s3n://data.s3ndemo.hive/kv, expected: hdfs://ec2-174-129-108-91.compute-1.amazonaws.com:50001
FAILED: Execution Error, return code 1 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask
Time taken: 0.606 seconds

why do i get this error ? any help would be appreciated
Regards
Sumit

Re: how to access s3 files from ec2 master node

Posted by Abhijit Pol <ap...@rocketfuelinc.com>.
not sure about the error, never tried sourcing hive table directly with s3
data, we use EBS with ec2 for better data locality.
see if this trick works for you: use distcp to copy data from s3n to hdfs
location and then use create table with copied location...