Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by dr <bf...@126.com> on 2015/08/20 13:49:01 UTC

IO probleam in forceMerge(1)

Hi ,all
    Currenty i met a probleam with forceMerge(1). During forceMerging some of my machine spent too much time(10-20 hours for a index size of 15GB). By using some command like top, iostat, jstack. I found that the avg of cpu, and disk is too low, nearly zero.  And the size of the the index files increased very very slowly. From jstack, i found that the application is hanging on IO operations, like FileInputStream or DirectByteArray.  But when i did some copy operation on the machine the speed may become normal.

    Should this issue be related with the JVM, Operating System and hardware?
    Did anybody met the same probleam, or have any idea about Java, Linux and IO.
    Some basic info about my system and application.

|  Lucece version | 4.10.3 |
| Jdk version |  jdk 1.7.0_05 |
| OS |   redhat 4.4.4 |
| cpu |      IntelX5650     |
| Memory | 24GB |

Best Reagrds

Re:Re:Re: IO probleam in forceMerge(1)

Posted by dr <bf...@126.com>.

I used to say "when i did some copy operation on the machine the speed may become normal.",  it seems not correct. But when forceMerge hangs on IO, if i use the command "echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches", the io become normal again.

Posted by dr <bf...@126.com>.

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.