Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net> on 2013/01/03 17:02:28 UTC

What version of Serf will be the required minimum for Subversion 1.8?

Hey, all.  I'd like to get a sense of what we're targeting in terms of
minimum required Serf library versions for Subversion 1.8.

First, the status quo:

- In Subversion 1.7, we require Serf 0.7.1 or better.
- Currently on the trunk, we require Serf 1.0.0 or better.

In reviewing the changes released in Serf since its 1.0.0 release (which is
everything up to and including the current 1.1.1 version), I see a number of
them that stand out as must-haves for Subversion's needs, especially as
ra_serf becomes the sole DAV RA implementation.  I also examined the
as-yet-unreleased changes currently queued for Serf 1.1.2, but don't spot
anything that's mission-critical there.  So, at a minimum, I'd like to
propose that we further bump the minimum required Serf version to 1.1.1 on
trunk (and by extension, for Subversion 1.8).

Now, it appears that Lieven & Co. are prepping for a Serf 1.2.0 release
Soon(tm).  There have been quite a few improvements made in 1.2.0 versus
1.1.0, but I didn't quickly spot any that screamed out
"omigosh-we-must-have-them-now-now-now!"  Still, someone closer to the
project would be able to better evaluate whether 1.2.0 should instead be the
targeted requirement for Subversion 1.8.

Of course, 1.2.0 hasn't been released yet, so if that's our target, then
this community needs to recognize that we have a 1.8 blocker that's not
*directly* in our hands to control.  We might have to start coughing up € to
pay Lieven's bar tab or something. :-)

--
C. Michael Pilato <cm...@collab.net>
CollabNet   <>   www.collab.net   <>   Enterprise Cloud Development

Re: What version of Serf will be the required minimum for Subversion 1.8?

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com>.
On 04.01.2013 00:29, Greg Stein wrote:

> Eep! Didn't realize, or forgot, that I'm blocking the release.
>
> Okay. I'll release 1.2 by Sunday.

I believe you should consider including this (or an equivalent) fix in 1.2:

https://code.google.com/p/serf/issues/detail?id=93

It addresses a known bug in svnsync, triggered by Serf.

-- Brane

--
Branko Čibej

Re: What version of Serf will be the required minimum for Subversion 1.8?

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
Eep! Didn't realize, or forgot, that I'm blocking the release.

Okay. I'll release 1.2 by Sunday.

Then I'd support Lieven's suggestion to make it the minimum for 1.8. I
would also recommend it as the suggested version for 1.7 (and keep 0.7 as
the minimum, I guess)

Cheers,
-g

Posted by Lieven Govaerts <lg...@apache.org>.
Hi Mike,

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
On 01/03/2013 11:23 AM, Branko Čibej wrote:
> On 03.01.2013 17:02, C. Michael Pilato wrote:
>> Hey, all.  I'd like to get a sense of what we're targeting in terms of
>> minimum required Serf library versions for Subversion 1.8.
>>
>> First, the status quo:
>>
>> - In Subversion 1.7, we require Serf 0.7.1 or better.
>> - Currently on the trunk, we require Serf 1.0.0 or better.
>>
>> In reviewing the changes released in Serf since its 1.0.0 release (which is
>> everything up to and including the current 1.1.1 version), I see a number of
>> them that stand out as must-haves for Subversion's needs, especially as
>> ra_serf becomes the sole DAV RA implementation.  I also examined the
>> as-yet-unreleased changes currently queued for Serf 1.1.2, but don't spot
>> anything that's mission-critical there.  So, at a minimum, I'd like to
>> propose that we further bump the minimum required Serf version to 1.1.1 on
>> trunk (and by extension, for Subversion 1.8).
>
> As far as I can see, we should require 1.1.1, since it contains fixes
> critical to this project.
>
> I (currently) see no reason to wait for 1.1.2 or 1.2.0.

I'm in agreement.  Will hold off for a bit more comment before committing
the requisite build system tweaks.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com>.