Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm> on 2015/10/19 13:49:31 UTC

XSLT filter for httpd

Hi all,

In the light of the move to simple services that talk XML/JSON and HTML and Javascript based clients that become more and more capable, I find myself wanting an XSLT filter quite often these days to sit in the middle and translate between the two.

As a complement to mod_xmlenc, would it make sense to include an XSLT filter in httpd out the box?

Regards,
Graham
—

Re: XSLT filter for httpd

Posted by Jan Pazdziora <jp...@redhat.com>.
On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 03:39:06PM +0200, Graham Leggett wrote:
> On 19 Oct 2015, at 3:20 PM, Nick Kew <ni...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > There are several old modules: for example mod_transform.
> > I expect they still serve for sites without i18n requirements.
> > One option would be to overhaul that.
> >
> > Note, mod_transform is GPL.  Originally my decision when I released
> > its earlier predecessor, before I was part of the dev@httpd team.
> > I'd be happy to re-license it as Apache, and I don't think
> > any of my co-developers would object.
>
> I’ve been using mod_transform v0.6.0 for a while, and have wanted to develop it further. It would be a great starting point.

I've been using xslt_filter and I'd be happy to switch to and help
with any module which the community would prefer.

--
Jan Pazdziora
Senior Principal Software Engineer, Identity Management Engineering, Red Hat

Re: XSLT filter for httpd

Posted by Paul Querna <pq...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 7:54 AM, Nick Kew <ni...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Oct 2015 15:39:06 +0200
> Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm> wrote:
>
>> > Note, mod_transform is GPL.  Originally my decision when I released
>> > its earlier predecessor, before I was part of the dev@httpd team.
>> > I'd be happy to re-license it as Apache, and I don't think
>> > any of my co-developers would object.
>>
>> I’ve been using mod_transform v0.6.0 for a while, and have wanted to develop it further. It would be a great starting point.
>
> I have a distant recollection of consulting Paul and Edward about
> re-licensing, then dropping the ball on it.  IIRC the outcome was,
> they were both happy to re-license, but there had also been one
> or two third-party patches raising a questionmark over whether we
> should consult anyone else.
>
> Cc: Paul.  Do you recollect that?  You still in contact with Edward?

I have no objections to relicensing mod_transform, Adding Edward and
Christian, the only other people with commits in afaik:

https://github.com/OutOfOrder/mod_transform/commits/master

 I'm not sure I believe in belongs in HTTP Server project itself, I
think it has had a fine life as an external module, and github is
doing fine for basic maintenance, but I'll bow to people with energy
if y'all really want it under the ASF domain.

Re: XSLT filter for httpd

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@apache.org>.

Cc: Paul.  Do you recollect that?  You still in contact with Edward?

--