Posted to oak-dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com> on 2012/03/29 17:22:30 UTC

Location of o.a.j.mk packages

Hi all,

Just checked out oak and I notice there are o.a.j.mk packages in both the oak-core and the oak-mk projects. I think this is fundamentally wrong and may even lead to split packages.

In addition it really leads to confusion as expressed in an early statement by Tom: If I have a class, how do I find the containing project ? I would assume the class's package would hint at that.

Having mk packages in both the core and mk projects makes it actually hard to find mk classes.

So I suggest we either move the mk packages to the mk project or rename the mk packages in core to oak instead.

Regards
Felix

Re: Location of o.a.j.mk packages

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com>.
Hi,

Am 30.03.2012 um 07:26 schrieb Michael Dürig:

> On 30.3.12 9:42, Angela Schreiber wrote:
>> hi felix
>>
>> IMO your comment wasn't noise at all.

My comment about mk package being spread in two projects was in fact noise, since this is already part of some issue discussion pointed out by Jukka.

The rest of my original message, I still don't consider noise ;-)

>> while we did reach
>> some consensus that we want to have a separate oak-api
>> we still have some disagreement on what the oak-api should
>> actually be abstraction wise and ultimately look like.
>>
>> my interpretation of the current discussion is as follows:
>>
>> variant 1:
>> oak-api is basically the same as mk-api but just adds some
>> validation-magic. the tree exposed by oak-api upon creation
>> of a JCR session contains the complete JCR repository.
>> -> oak-core and oak-mk should in this scenario be located
>> in the same module as the basically expose the same
>> level of abstraction.
>>
>> variant 2:
>> oak-api is a separate API and abstraction layer on top of
>> the mk-API. mk-API just being the storage that doesn't have
>> any knowlege of workspaces, items, node types. the oak-API
>> in this variant however, was aware of the different types.
>> the validation in oak-api implementation could rely on it's
>> knowledge of workspaces, repository-unique data (versions,
>> node types, namespace) and different types of (jcr) items.
>> -> oak-core and oak-mk are completely different components
>> and therefore should be separate modules.
>>
>> we are still this discussing this... but your confusion on
>> the current layout, i my opinion originates from this
>> not yet being decided.
>
> I think the original idea was more like variant 2. See whiteboard
> snapshot at the bottom of
> http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/OakComponentStructure. However name
> space mapping and most of node type stuff was though to go into oak-jcr.
>
> AFAIR we didn't discuss workspaces then but from that picture it seems
> logical to me that workspace management should also go into oak-core.

Agreed. In fact, IIRC MK is just a relatively dumb tree storage. The live of it comes from oak-core and oak-jcr brings this into the actual JCR API world.

Regards
Felix

Posted by Michael Dürig <md...@apache.org>.

Posted by Angela Schreiber <an...@adobe.com>.
hi felix

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com>.
Hi

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com>.
Hi

I now created OAK-57 [1] to track this. As a first step I removed the empty MK packages.

I would think the rest should be moved out of oak-core in time for the 0.2 release.

Thank you very much.

Regards
Felix

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OAK-57