Posted to pluto-dev@portals.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de> on 2004/05/28 12:05:39 UTC

[Vote] Preparing the move to the portals project

The two important votes have passed: we are allowed to get out of the
incubator and we are accepted by the portals project. Hurray :)

This move obviously will bring some changes regarding the infrastructure,
for example the mailing lists will be renamed and our repository will
get a different name (portals-pluto).

However, there are two things we should vote on:

1. Bugtracking
Currently we use bugzilla. The other projects in the portals project (wsrp,
jetspeed 1 and 2) use Jira. So it seems to make sense to move to Jira as
well
(for cross-references etc.)
So, what should we use:
[ ] Bugzilla
[ ] Jira

2. Repository
Currently we use CVS. The big plan :) for Apache is that sooner or later
all projects will move from CVS to SVN (I guess it's more later than sooner
though). Although we don't have to hurry, we should think about moving to
SVN now as we move/rename our repository anyway.
Other projects have already migrated - so we won't be the first one :)
But of course, we could stick to CVS now and migrate at a later
time - no problem.
So, again:
[ ] CVS
[ ] SVN

So please cast your votes/state your opinion.

Thanks
Carsten

Carsten Ziegeler
Open Source Group, S&N AG
http://www.osoco.net/weblogs/rael/

Re: [Vote] Preparing the move to the portals project

Posted by Raphaël Luta <ra...@apache.org>.
Le 28 mai 04, à 12:05, Carsten Ziegeler a écrit :

> The two important votes have passed: we are allowed to get out of the
> incubator and we are accepted by the portals project. Hurray :)
>
> This move obviously will bring some changes regarding the
> infrastructure,
> for example the mailing lists will be renamed and our repository will
> get a different name (portals-pluto).
>
> However, there are two things we should vote on:
>
> 1. Bugtracking
> Currently we use bugzilla. The other projects in the portals project
> (wsrp,
> jetspeed 1 and 2) use Jira. So it seems to make sense to move to Jira
> as
> well
> (for cross-references etc.)
> So, what should we use:
> [ ] Bugzilla
> [X] Jira

+1 to Jira.

> 2. Repository
> Currently we use CVS. The big plan :) for Apache is that sooner or
> later
> all projects will move from CVS to SVN (I guess it's more later than
> sooner
> though). Although we don't have to hurry, we should think about moving
> SVN now as we move/rename our repository anyway.
> Other projects have already migrated - so we won't be the first one :)
> But of course, we could stick to CVS now and migrate at a later
> time - no problem.
> So, again:
> [ ] CVS
> [X] SVN

+1 to SVN but mainly because I don't use Eclipse. Eclipse users would
feel the pain.

--
Raphaël Luta - raphael@apache.org
Apache Jetspeed - Enterprise Portal in Java

Re: [Vote] Preparing the move to the portals project

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>However, there are two things we should vote on:
>
>1. Bugtracking

+1 to move to Jira

>[ ] Bugzilla
>[X] Jira
>
>2. Repository
>
>[ ] CVS
>[ ] SVN

-0 to move to SVN

I guess the only reason I'm against it is fear of the unknown. . . and
just not having cycles to learn the unknown at this point in time.

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On May 28, 2004, at 3:05 AM, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> The two important votes have passed: we are allowed to get out of the
> incubator and we are accepted by the portals project. Hurray :)
>
> This move obviously will bring some changes regarding the
> infrastructure,
> for example the mailing lists will be renamed and our repository will
> get a different name (portals-pluto).
>
> However, there are two things we should vote on:
>
> 1. Bugtracking
> Currently we use bugzilla. The other projects in the portals project
> (wsrp,
> jetspeed 1 and 2) use Jira. So it seems to make sense to move to Jira
> as
> well
> (for cross-references etc.)
> So, what should we use:
> [ ] Bugzilla
> [ ] Jira

[x] Jira

> 2. Repository
> Currently we use CVS. The big plan :) for Apache is that sooner or
> later
> all projects will move from CVS to SVN (I guess it's more later than
> sooner
> though). Although we don't have to hurry, we should think about moving
> SVN now as we move/rename our repository anyway.
> Other projects have already migrated - so we won't be the first one :)
> But of course, we could stick to CVS now and migrate at a later
> time - no problem.
> So, again:
> [ ] CVS
> [ ] SVN

Im holding my vote on this -- because the Jetspeed team is still
undecided on this issue.
Reason: SVN support isn't near as good as CVS support in Eclipse
I recommend going to http://subclipse.tigris.org/ and trying it out
yourself before voting

Re: [Vote] Preparing the move to the portals project

Posted by Marcel Dullaart <md...@epo.org>.
Hi,

I do not want to vote on this, since I do not do development for pluto.

I do want to congratulate teh development team for reaching this status.

Thanx very much for your effort!

Ciao,
Marcel

RE: [Vote] Preparing the move to the portals project

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
1. Bugtracking
[ ] Bugzilla
[X] Jira

2. Repository
[ ] CVS
[X] SVN

I'm not against CVS, I would prefer SVN (although I'm an Eclipse user).

Carsten