Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch> on 2002/06/10 10:31:41 UTC

Re: We need a detailed comparison with Struts (XML/REST integration?)

On Monday 10 June 2002 10:23, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>. . .
> 4 - Can we integrate Stuts and Cocoon ?
> --------------------------------------
> The JSP part of Struts can certainly be integrated into Cocoon using the
> JSPGenerator. What about the controller part (i.e. the servlets) ?
>. . .

Rings a bell here, cause I'm thinking along the same lines between Enhydra
(www.enhydra.org) and Cocoon.

How about using these (struts, enhydra, etc.) as XML-based back-ends to a
Cocoon presentation front-end?

I'm thinking of Cocoon relaying user HTTP requests to the back-end, and the
back-end replying with XML documents representing the "logical contents" of
pages (see also [1]).

The back-end would be fully testable with anteater, JUnit/HTTPUnit or
something using HTTP/XML interactions, and the Cocoon front-end would be
nicely decoupled and care only about the presentation layer.

Any comments? First-hand experiences?

-Bertrand

Re: We need a detailed comparison with Struts (XML/REST integration?)

Posted by Ivelin Ivanov <iv...@apache.org>.
As long as Struts is concerned, Cocoon 2.1 includes the XMLForm
components, which takes a lot of Struts' ideas.
XMLForm was designed from the ground up for REST style web services.

http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/howto/xmlform-wizard/howto-xmlform-wizard.html

If you want to contribute a comparison document, I'll welcome it. ;)

Ivelin

Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> On Monday 10 June 2002 10:23, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>>. . .
>>4 - Can we integrate Stuts and Cocoon ?
>>--------------------------------------
>>The JSP part of Struts can certainly be integrated into Cocoon using the
>>JSPGenerator. What about the controller part (i.e. the servlets) ?
>>. . .
>

> Rings a bell here, cause I'm thinking along the same lines between Enhydra
> (www.enhydra.org) and Cocoon.
>
> How about using these (struts, enhydra, etc.) as XML-based back-ends to a
> Cocoon presentation front-end?
>
> I'm thinking of Cocoon relaying user HTTP requests to the back-end, and the
> back-end replying with XML documents representing the "logical contents" of
> pages (see also [1]).
>
> The back-end would be fully testable with anteater, JUnit/HTTPUnit or
> something using HTTP/XML interactions, and the Cocoon front-end would be
> nicely decoupled and care only about the presentation layer.
>
> Any comments? First-hand experiences?
>
> -Bertrand

-= Ivelin =-