Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Colin Sampaleanu <co...@Bspark.com> on 2001/02/05 17:18:35 UTC

RE: Textarea and Wrap

+1

I actually suggested this 3 or 4 months ago. Not having support for wrap is
a big pain in the butt...

RE: Textarea and Wrap

Posted by Ted Husted <ne...@husted.com>.
Did you want to signup for this?

It's on the TODO list for 1.1 but no one's volunteered yet.

On 2/5/2001 at 11:18 AM Colin Sampaleanu wrote:

>+1
>
>I actually suggested this 3 or 4 months ago. Not having support for
wrap is
>a big pain in the butt...

-- Tel 716 425-0252; Fax 716 223-2506.
-- http://www.husted.com/about/struts/

RE: Textarea and Wrap

Posted by Ted Husted <ne...@husted.com>.
Here's a related idea:

Should all the Struts HTML tags have an option for adding custom
properties as-is? For example

custom="wrap=soft googleplex=centurion optimize"

Duty now for the future ...

RE: Textarea and Wrap

Posted by Michael Gerdau <mg...@technosis.de>.
>The HTML 4.01 specification says that in textareas "user agents may
>wrap visible text lines to keep long lines visible without the need for
>scrolling."
[snip]
>How would Opera be adversly affected by Struts providing an optional
>wrap property?

Opera 3.62 as well as 4.x did support HTML 3.2 and would not wrap.
However the most recent version (Opera 5.02) does claim in its featurelist
to support HTML 4.01.

I will try to check what that means in practice later. Since you said it
is scheduled for 1.1 anyway there probably isn't urgent need.

Best,
Michael
--
 Vote against SPAM - see http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/
 Michael Gerdau       email: mgd@technosis.de

RE: Textarea and Wrap

Posted by Ted Husted <ne...@husted.com>.
The HTML 4.01 specification says that in textareas "user agents may
wrap visible text lines to keep long lines visible without the need for
scrolling."

Unfortunately, many user agents, including Netscape 4.7, won't actually
do this with an additional "wrap" property.

This is on the TODO list for 1.1. When implemented, this would
certainly be an optional property, and if the developer did not specify
"wrap=soft" or "wrap=hard", then a wrap propertly would not be
included.

I agree that it is unfortunate that we have to accomodate the
vagriances of browser implementations, but it is my understanding that
Struts is suppose to be a framework for deploying real-world
applications.

In practice, I would not be able to ship a Web application that used a
text area without wrapping through Netscape 4.x, since there would too
many user requests to add the feature. (I forgot the wrap property on a
comment form once, and, as usual, learned the hard way.)

RE: Textarea and Wrap

Posted by Michael Gerdau <mg...@technosis.de>.
[wrap for textarea]