Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Rafa García <co...@rafagarcia.net> on 2020/10/19 11:04:02 UTC

About KAFKA-4759: ACL authorizer subnet support (PR #9387)

Hi,

  First of all, sorry if I'm doing it wrong by contacting you directly.

  Almost two weeks ago, I implemented the support of subnets (IPv4 and
IPv6) in ACL authorizer. I commented in JIRA to the reporter but his
activity was only for that issue (2 years ago). Later, I mentioned in
GitHub to the top committers but no answer, they're really busy reviewing
other issues. I tried to contact using IRC but there was no response there
either.
I want to start with other things but first I want to leave this close.
Who could review these changes?

  Another question, is the build broken in GitHub?

Thanks!
Rafa

--
Enviado desde mi tabla de planchar

Re: About KAFKA-4759: ACL authorizer subnet support (PR #9387)

Posted by Tom Bentley <tb...@redhat.com>.
Hi Rafa,

Changes affecting any of Kafka's public APIs have to be done via the KIP
process [1]. KAFKA-4759 was originally opened for KIP-252 [2] which is
still under discussion (i.e. it never passed a vote). You can read the
previous discussions about it in the archives [3]. Having very briefly
scanned that thread, it doesn't look like the technical issues were ever
ironed out to the point that the KIP was voted on.

If you want to take on this work it would be a good idea to:

1. Comment on the thread that you're going to take it up (to avoid multiple
people accidentally working on the same problem)
2. Figure out solutions to the technical issues and either revise the
original KIP document or open a new KIP.
3. Start a DISCUSS thread.

Hope that helps,

Tom

[1]: