Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org> on 2009/09/25 19:16:24 UTC

[VOTE] Should we freeze the public stable APIs after 0.21.0?

We are getting closer to being able to release a Common/HDFS/MapReduce
1.0. I'd hope that we'll get the last set of things in to 0.22 that
mean that it would be labelled 1.0. Toward that end, I'd like to start
locking down the APIs that we've marked as public stable. What that
would mean is that any interface that is tagged with the
@InterfaceStability.Stable and @InterfaceAudience.Public in the 0.21.0
release should not have any changes committed that require a
recompilation of client code. This will provide a stable basis for our
users' applications and reduce the costs of upgrades.

Clearly, I'm +1.

-- Owen

Re: [VOTE] Should we freeze the public stable APIs after 0.21.0?

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@yahoo-inc.com>.
+1

Arun

Posted by Amr Awadallah <aa...@cloudera.com>.
+1

-- amr

Re: [VOTE] Should we freeze the public stable APIs after 0.21.0?

Posted by Sanjay Radia <sr...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Just posted updated proposed classification of interfaces.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-5073?focusedCommentId=12759723&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel
#action_12759723

Re: [VOTE] Should we freeze the public stable APIs after 0.21.0?

Posted by Sanjay Radia <sr...@yahoo-inc.com>.
On Sep 25, 2009, at 10:36 AM, Philip Zeyliger wrote:

> I did a quick grep, and--perhaps I'm missing something--no
> interfaces are
> currently marked as InterfaceStability.Stable.  FileContext is the
> only
> interface that uses the org.apache.hadoop.classification package.
>  (Well, QueueManagerTestUtils has it commented out...)
> Do you have a proposed list of classes to be marked
> @InterfaceStability.Stable?

Yes, please see
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-5073?focusedCommentId=12664679&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel
#action_12664679

There is a proposal at the bottom of that comment.
(there have been a few changes proposed in that jira but that proposed
tagging is mostly intact. I will update it shortly.)

Posted by Philip Zeyliger <ph...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Nigel Daley <nd...@yahoo-inc.com>.
+1.

Posted by Sanjay Radia <sr...@yahoo-inc.com>.