Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Tim Colson <tc...@cisco.com> on 2002/06/22 03:19:01 UTC

Display List in Multiple HTML Columns Thread?

Ugh - I know this has been discussed. I searched mail-archive in
vain...and hey, the list has been pretty quiet of late, so why not just
ask. :-)

Would somebody please send a couple links to the discussion threads on
how to take a List and spit it out into multiple columns?

BTW- I threw together a quick and dirty method (shown below) that
iterates twice, displaying whichever 'half' it should. Not pretty, but
works.

I found it curious that the 'rithmetic and logic involving floats didn't
puke. I wonder if I should be nervous? ;-)

Thanks,
Tim
P.S. I still think '&' would be a fine char to use for concatenation
<grin>

## Show $list split into 2 columns, roughly half/half with a slight bias
to the left side
#set ($num_cats = $list.size())
#set ($half = $num_cats / 2)
<TR>
<TD><!-- col 1 -->
    <TABLE>
    #foreach ($category in $list)
      #if ($velocityCount <= $half + 1)
     <TR>
     <TD> Item $category.name
     </TR>
     #end
    #end
    </TABLE>
</TD>
<TD> <!-- col 2 -->
    <TABLE>
    #foreach ($category in $list)
      #if ($velocityCount <= $half + 1)
     <TR>
     <TD> Item $category.name
     </TR>
     #end
    #end
    </TABLE>
</TD>
</TR>

RE: Display List in Multiple HTML Columns Thread?

Posted by Tim Colson <tc...@cisco.com>.
> > #if's, although the docs don't show '<=' or '>=' they seem to work.
> > Is this new in 1.3?
>
> I don't remember when they showed up, but I am almost 100%
> sure it was pre 1.0
Hmm, perhaps a quick update in the User-Docs would be appropriate?

http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/user-guide.html#Conditionals

Cheers,
Tim

Re: Display List in Multiple HTML Columns Thread?

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>.

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.
Research & Development, Adeptra Inc.

RE: Display List in Multiple HTML Columns Thread?

Posted by Tim Colson <tc...@cisco.com>.
> Hey that looks pretty good.
Will was too kind. ;-)

> > BTW- I threw together a quick and dirty method (shown below)
Ugh... just in case anybody was copy/pasting like I did... the second
col' comparison should of course been '>' instead of '<='.

Which brought me to the manual to verify which operators are legal in
#if's, although the docs don't show '<=' or '>=' they seem to work.

Is this new in 1.3?

Correction for Column #2:

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@forio.com>.
Hey that looks pretty good.

I did something similar that made a two column table going across instead of
down.  I don't have the full code with me but it was something like:

#set ($OnLeft = true)
#foreach ($item in $List)
  #if ($OnLeft ) <tr>
  #end