Posted to user@ambari.apache.org by Greg Hill <gr...@RACKSPACE.COM> on 2014/06/23 15:27:05 UTC

weird error using the ambari API to kick a cluster

Thanks for the help on Friday.  I was able to get most of the way to using the Ambari API to set up a test cluster, but I'm now stuck on a fairly cryptic problem again.

I'm running into an error on the Ambari agent side, but I'm confused as to the source of the error.  I imagine I'm not passing in some required configuration, but the API made no complaints about my lack of providing it.

My setup is a 3 VM vagrant/virtualbox setup on my local machine using the Ambari quick start guide located here:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AMBARI/Quick+Start+Guide

I wrote a POC script based on the instructions here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AMBARI/Create+a+new+Cluster

Here's a gist with the error message I'm getting from the ambari agent and the script I'm using:
https://gist.github.com/jimbobhickville/e0f744624742b02d2ce6

As far as I can tell, the error occurs after I call install_all_services()

It sounds like the Ambari agent is expecting a 'global' config section to exist, but it is not requiring me to provide it, and it is not provided by the bootstrap process.

Any ideas?

Greg

Re: weird error using the ambari API to kick a cluster

Posted by Yusaku Sako <yu...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Greg,

Not sure if you have or not, but you might want to take a look at the
new Ambari Blueprint API [1]
It makes it really simple set up a new cluster with a small number of API calls.

Ambari Python Client can be extended to support Blueprint API, but
right now it doesn't do that yet.
The Blueprint API itself is very simple, so it should not be hard to
add the support if someone wants to take that up.
Ambari Groovy Client already supports Blueprint API (but if you want
to use Python rather than Java, this is not an option for you).

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AMBARI/Blueprints

Yusaku

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: weird error using the ambari API to kick a cluster

Posted by subin <su...@gmail.com>.
Hi Greg,

Curently there is issue with config in Ambari python client and the new
ambari versions post 1.4.1
ambari client doesn't support stacks completely.
Which i am trying to fix .Of course you are also happy to help and fix
it.Let me know if you are interested I could pass the JIRAs.

~subin

--
~Subin

Re: weird error using the ambari API to kick a cluster

Posted by Greg Hill <gr...@RACKSPACE.COM>.