Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Ry...@stpaul.com on 2003/06/06 18:59:22 UTC

Memory Settings (was: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError)

The recent posts about FOP running out of memory has me thinking.

Suppose for a second that FOP is run on a Windows 2000 box.  Assume the box
has 512 MB of RAM.  Pretend that a certain XSL-FO causes the JVM to run out
of memory.

The question is:  Can the JVM heap size be set to a value larger than the
available RAM on the computer?  For instance, in this case could -Xmx1024M
be used to up the JVM heap to 1 GB?  Would this prevent the JVM from
crashing with an OutOfMemoryError?

Now, *if* it did work, I'll assume that anytime an XSL-FO pushed the heap
to a value higher than the amount of RAM, there would be a lot of memory
swapping, which of course would hinder performance.  But it might prevent a
system crash.  Would setting the JVM heap to a value higher than the
available RAM adversely affect the performance of all XSL-FO's, or just the
ones where the XSL-FO actually pushed the heap up that much in the first
place?

If anybody has tried this please share your experiences.  Or, share your
thoughts on what might happen.

Thanks!!

-Ryan