Posted to docs-dev@perl.apache.org by Thomas Klausner <do...@zsi.at> on 2001/12/27 17:40:19 UTC

Some new ideas..

Hi!

I just wrote a small mod_perl handler so everybody can take a look at
different CSS ideas without needing to copy a lot of files.

You can try
http://domm.lap/modperl-site-domm/style1/index.html
http://domm.lap/modperl-site-domm/style7/index.html
(notice "styleX" where X is a number)
The chosen style is also used on all subsequent pages (Take a look at those,
too!!)

and take look at different colored H2/H3 Styles:
style1: light blue background, dark blue letters
style2: light blue background, black letters
style21: as style 2, but H1 has got black letters, too
style3: light blue background, white letters
style4: no background, dark blue letters
style5: no background, light blue letters
style6: no background, blue (0000ff) letters
style7: no background, black letters

I don't really like 4-6 because the headlines don't attract attention.
1, the contrast between text and background is to low
3 is most ASF-like, but I like 2 or 21 better, because the white letters
look sort of translucent.
I like 21 better than 2 because I find some headlines white and some black
confusing.
My favourite is 7. I just think it looks the best, although it's not very
"merry"

A guess the look of the TOC/TOP and prev/up/next widgets will also influence
the way the headlines should look. I will try Allan's widgets soon.

Some other stuff:
I moved the "tail" below the content area and put a <HR> in front of it. I
think the <HR> should solve the "shrinking-page" problem, as suggested by
Philip. Stas, what do you see?

Maybe we could decide on a final basic structure (width of navbar/content,
design of the navbar-buttons...) and than contiune fine-tuning (Headline
Colors, Widgets..)

The only real differnece between Allans and mine version are the NavBar
buttons.
I find mine more pleasant-looking, because the lot of black lines in Allans
version are sort of irritating (at least to me).
I don't really care about the mod_perl logo in the top left corner, although
I think that you can see the camel better in the original version (white
background)

--
 D_OMM      +---->  http://domm.zsi.at <-----+
 O_xyderkes |       neu:  Arbeitsplatz       |

Re: Some new ideas..

Posted by Thomas Klausner <do...@zsi.at>.
Hi!

On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 01:14:50AM +0800, Stas Bekman wrote:
> > You can try
> > http://domm.lap/modperl-site-domm/style1/index.html
> wrong URL :) should be:
> http://domm.zsi.at/modperl-site-domm/style7/index.html
Ups. I used my fake laptop hostname. Sorry...

http://domm.zsi.at/modperl-site-domm/meta.html

> I think that the good thing about putting the h1-h6 in the color box, is
> that it clearly separates sections. May be using a very light grey is a
> better idea. Compare:
> http://domm.zsi.at/modperl-site-domm/style3/docs/devel/writing_tests/writing_tests.html#How_to_Write_Tests
> with
> http://domm.zsi.at/modperl-site-domm/style7/docs/devel/writing_tests/writing_tests.html#How_to_Write_Tests
>
> 3 is much better here. May be should try yet another CSS with very light
> bg and some outstanding fg? Doesn't have to be ASF like if it makes
> things better.
Yeah, you're right. I'll try to find some none ASF colors ...

> True, I think that in the content box we have these elements:
>
> 1 navigation widgets
>   + [home / doc / ...]
>   + [<|^|>]
>   + [top|toc]
>
> and they should probably look the same
Or at least similar. I'd suggest using the darker color for nav items and
the lighter color for text highlighting

> 2. main title
>
> I guess it's OK, not sure if it's too big?
A little bit smaller might be indeed better.

> 3. Table of content
>    + the TOC's header
>    + the TOC's body
>
> and it looks good, but we may have a different header framing then the
> headers in the content.
Thats true. Maybe in the darker color (as the TOC is a Nav item of some sort)

> I think Allan's widgets are slicker :) may be we should try lighter bg?
true. see my last post...

Re: Some new ideas..

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Thomas Klausner wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I just wrote a small mod_perl handler so everybody can take a look at
> different CSS ideas without needing to copy a lot of files.
>
> You can try
> http://domm.lap/modperl-site-domm/style1/index.html
> http://domm.lap/modperl-site-domm/style7/index.html
> (notice "styleX" where X is a number)
> The chosen style is also used on all subsequent pages (Take a look at those,
> too!!)

wrong URL :) should be:
http://domm.zsi.at/modperl-site-domm/style7/index.html

can we have an index of indices page, please? to easy browsing?

> and take look at different colored H2/H3 Styles:
> style1: light blue background, dark blue letters
> style2: light blue background, black letters
> style21: as style 2, but H1 has got black letters, too
> style3: light blue background, white letters
> style4: no background, dark blue letters
> style5: no background, light blue letters
> style6: no background, blue (0000ff) letters
> style7: no background, black letters
>
> I don't really like 4-6 because the headlines don't attract attention.
> 1, the contrast between text and background is to low
> 3 is most ASF-like, but I like 2 or 21 better, because the white letters
> look sort of translucent.
> I like 21 better than 2 because I find some headlines white and some black
> confusing.
> My favourite is 7. I just think it looks the best, although it's not very
> "merry"

I like 3 and 7, but using non-black color for 7 could be a better idea.
Having black color in bold text is very bold :) I'd be nicer to have a
softer touch.

I think that the good thing about putting the h1-h6 in the color box, is
that it clearly separates sections. May be using a very light grey is a
better idea. Compare:
http://domm.zsi.at/modperl-site-domm/style3/docs/devel/writing_tests/writing_tests.html#How_to_Write_Tests
with
http://domm.zsi.at/modperl-site-domm/style7/docs/devel/writing_tests/writing_tests.html#How_to_Write_Tests

3 is much better here. May be should try yet another CSS with very light
bg and some outstanding fg? Doesn't have to be ASF like if it makes
things better.

> A guess the look of the TOC/TOP and prev/up/next widgets will also influence
> the way the headlines should look. I will try Allan's widgets soon.

True, I think that in the content box we have these elements:

1 navigation widgets
  + [home / doc / ...]
  + [<|^|>]
  + [top|toc]

and they should probably look the same

2. main title

I guess it's OK, not sure if it's too big?

3. Table of content
   + the TOC's header
   + the TOC's body

and it looks good, but we may have a different header framing then the
headers in the content.

4. Content
   + headers
   + normal text
   + italics
   + <code>
   + <pre> sections

need to decide on headers color, and I'm looking for suggestions for
making <pre> be different from the rest of the text. the rest is fine I
think.

> Some other stuff:
> I moved the "tail" below the content area and put a <HR> in front of it. I
> think the <HR> should solve the "shrinking-page" problem, as suggested by
> Philip. Stas, what do you see?

Yup, that works!

> Maybe we could decide on a final basic structure (width of navbar/content,
> design of the navbar-buttons...) and than contiune fine-tuning (Headline
> Colors, Widgets..)

Yup, we are getting there. As soon as someone will make Allan's widgets
work across more than one page, so it can be seen in different contexts,
we will be able to decide, I think.

> The only real differnece between Allans and mine version are the NavBar
> buttons.
> I find mine more pleasant-looking, because the lot of black lines in Allans
> version are sort of irritating (at least to me).

I think Allan's widgets are slicker :) may be we should try lighter bg?
but then it's a problem to contrast the fg. I like your idea of having a
few CSS next to each other so you can easily compare. Let's try a few
and see what looks the best.

May be we need a fresh look, since we all too used to what we see already.

> I don't really care about the mod_perl logo in the top left corner, although
> I think that you can see the camel better in the original version (white
> background)

agreed.