Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com> on 2006/11/09 12:59:32 UTC

Composite key vs Serrogate for SeqId

I've been continuing my playing around with some of
the pentaho project stuff and there's a limitation
with their query structure that doesn't support
composite foreign keys.  While there are several
places in OFBiz where the composite key holds meaning
with the data model, I was reluctant to see the
benefit of using a composite key for entities like
OrderItem (orderId, orderItemSeqId) over simply having
an orderItemId  as a single field primary key.  Does
the sequence (01,02,03, etc) hold any meaning that
needs to be maintained?

Re: Composite key vs Serrogate for SeqId

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.
That's somewhat true for the orderId (you'll likely
lose several sequential orderIds when you grab 10 in
sequence but only use 3 before the cache expires).
However, I'm referring to the orderItemSeqId, the line
items of the order.

Posted by David Welton <da...@gmail.com>.