Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> on 2007/04/11 18:42:14 UTC

Project conventions

Hi

In debugging through the calculator sample I chased the various dependencies
[2]

1/ the articfact names are mostly, but not always, the module name with
tuscany prepended.
   - I see that the artifact name is used at the start of the resulting jar
file so having "tuscany" is good if the jar is encountered in isolation.
   - Can we have the module (directory) name be the same as the artifact id.

   - should samples-* be tuscany-samples-*?
2/ the names don't add much value (to me at least:-) and mostly the poms
don't have descriptions.
   - How about we instigate <url/> project meta data and point out to the
more detailed documentation for a module (when there is some).
   - we should also tidy the names and decide between Apache Tuscany and
Apache Tuscany SCA unless there is a good reason for the difference.
3/ package names within the modules don't always match the module name which
makes it trick to find classes sometimes. I don't have loads of examples
here  but the problem I have was trying to find
     o.a.t.api.SCARuntime
   This is in the host-embedded module. Is it practical to suggest that
package names to at least contain the module name?

As an aside (and in the hope that we can get a complete list;-) I've copied
the info from the SCA source tree mail [1] into the wiki [2]. Would be
useful to have all the info about all the hidden conventions in one place so
that we can record and extend as we see fit. What more is there to add?

Regards

Simon

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org/msg16253.html
[2] http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/editpage.action?pageId=51313
[3] calculator sample dependencies

Directory                                    Artifact
                Name

Java

  Buildtools -
Apache Tuscany Build Tools

Pom

   Parent -
Apache Tuscany Project Parent

Sca

   Contrib.

   itest

   modules

       assembly                             tuscany-assembly
Apache Tuscany Assembly Model

       assembly-xml                       tuscany-assemly-xml
                 Apache
Tuscany SCA XML Assembly Support

       contribution                          tuscany-contribution
Apache Tuscany SCA Contribution Service

       contribution-impl                   tuscany-contribution-impl
Apache Tuscany SCA Contribution Service Implementation

       core                                     tuscany-core
Apache Tuscany SCA Core Runtime

       core-spi                                tuscany-core-spi
Apache Tuscany SCA Core SPI

       host-embedded                     tuscany-host-embedded
Apache Tuscany Embedded Runtime Host

       host-spi                               tuscany-host-spi
Apache Tuscany Host SPI

       implementation-java              tuscany-implementation-java
             Apache
Tuscany Java Implementation Model

       implementation-java-runtime   tuscany-implementation-java-runtime
Apache Tuscany Java Implementation Runtime

       implementation-java-xml        tuscany-implementation-java-xml
Apache Tuscany SCA XML Java Implementation Extension

       interface                               tuscany-interface
Apache Tuscany Interface Model

       interface-java                        tuscany-interface-java
Apache Tuscany Java Interface Model

       interface-java-xml                  tuscany-interface-java-xml
Apache Tuscany SCA XML Java Interface Extension

       policy                                  tuscany-policy
Apache Tuscany Policy Model

       sca-api                                sca-api
            Apache Tuscany SCA API

     samples

          calculator                           samples-calculator

Re: Project conventions

Posted by haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com>.
I'll take a look at this.
This seems to be related to the email/question that I sent out earlier
today.

re: Project conventions

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Project conventions

Posted by haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com>.

Re: Project conventions

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
[snip]

Re: Project conventions

Posted by haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com>.
I  sync'd up content of [1] with the getInvolved link [2] except for a piece
related to coding guideline and test which seem to have been changed. We now
have two different views on this. I'll start a discuss thread  later this
week to get everyone feedback on what the guideline should be since everyone
needs to be comfortable with it. I will then update the getInvolved page
with the result.

I have removed the developer guide from under Guides menu since it is
covered in the getInvovled page under development section.

I also moved the documentation that you mentioned to the Java SCA parent
since it belongs to that.
I'll take a look at what is there for user documentation and harvest
whatever we can into the proper pages.

Architecture guide is now updated with all the available information. A
review of this guide for correctness would be good.

[2] http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANY/SCA+Java+Development

Re: Project conventions

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
Simon Laws wrote:
> On 4/16/07, Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> [snip]

>> name
>> that
>> >>

>> Simon, I just fixed this API. The package name is now
>> o.a.t.host.embedded, matching the module name.
>>
>> --
>> Jean-Sebastien

> Great, thanks for that.

I found a few more places where the package name didn't match the module
in modules/databinding, which I fixed under revision r529315. There's
more packages like that in tuscany-core-spi, but fixing them will be
more tricky as more modules depend on them.

--
Jean-Sebastien

Re: Project conventions

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On 4/16/07, Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org> wrote:

> [snip]
> Simon Laws wrote:
> >
> >> 3/ package names within the modules don't always match the module name
> >> which makes it trick to find classes sometimes. I don't have loads of
> >> examples here  but the problem I have was trying to find
> >>      o.a.t.api.SCARuntime
> >>    This is in the host-embedded module. Is it practical to suggest that
> >> package names to at least contain the module name?
> >>

> Simon, I just fixed this API. The package name is now
> o.a.t.host.embedded, matching the module name.
>
> --
> Jean-Sebastien

Great, thanks for that.

Re: Project conventions

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
[snip]

Re: Project conventions

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On 4/11/07, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> Tuscany Java Implementation Model
>
>        implementation-java-runtime   tuscany-implementation-java-runtime
> Apache Tuscany Java Implementation Runtime
>
>        implementation-java-xml        tuscany-implementation-java-xml
> Apache Tuscany SCA XML Java Implementation Extension
>
>        interface                               tuscany-interface
> Apache Tuscany Interface Model
>
>        interface-java                        tuscany-interface-java
> Apache Tuscany Java Interface Model
>
>        interface-java-xml                  tuscany-interface-java-xml
> Apache Tuscany SCA XML Java Interface Extension
>
>        policy                                  tuscany-policy
> Apache Tuscany Policy Model
>
>        sca-api                                sca-api
>             Apache Tuscany SCA API
>
>      samples
>
>           calculator                           samples-calculator

Scratch the point about sample-* being tuscany-samples-*. Am looking at them
now they already are. I must be going mad!

Simon