Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Andrew Petro <An...@yale.edu> on 2004/04/17 04:32:34 UTC

Struts for fatclient-server applications

Struts could be used for the server portion of your client-server
application -- the server could be implemented as a standard web
application, perhaps providing XML to the client.  The client would play the
role of the web browser -- be the web browser -- in interacting with the
webapplication "server".

Never done it.  Duncan notes, Struts is tied to the Servlet API and so a
choice to use Struts for the server portion is really a decision to use a
servlet container contained webapplication as the server portion of your
client-server design.

[[
I've used Struts before for web applications but at the moment I'm
evaluating if it would be possible to use Struts for Java Client-Server
applications (Java fat client). Any thoughts? Has some one seen Struts ever
used in that way?
]]

Re: Struts for fatclient-server applications

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
Andrew Petro wrote:

>Struts could be used for the server portion of your client-server
>application -- the server could be implemented as a standard web
>application, perhaps providing XML to the client.  The client would play the
>role of the web browser -- be the web browser -- in interacting with the
>webapplication "server".
>
>Never done it.  Duncan notes, Struts is tied to the Servlet API and so a
>choice to use Struts for the server portion is really a decision to use a
>servlet container contained webapplication as the server portion of your
>client-server design.
>
>[[
>I've used Struts before for web applications but at the moment I'm
>evaluating if it would be possible to use Struts for Java Client-Server
>applications (Java fat client). Any thoughts? Has some one seen Struts ever
>used in that way?
>]]

One approach to evaluate would be using XML-based data exchanges between
your Java client and the server webapp.  You can see pointers to several
Struts based extensions in this space at:

  http://struts.sourceforge.net/community/views.html

Craig

Re: html:form

Posted by as as <sa...@yahoo.com>.
wonderful..
i guess two submits are the culrpits here then...
then in my second form, how do i implement my fucntionality (wher i want to display a table- but clicking on the left most element in the table must take it to another page----using javascript????
please advise..
Thanks!

Christian Bollmeyer <ja...@christianbollmeyer.de> wrote:
On Sunday 18 April 2004 16:30, as as wrote:

Hi,

>Thanks for the reply. I am submitting both the forsm...

Probably, but where?

>so does only one submitted form end up in the request?

Yes.

>Here is my code briefly:

> > type="com.PrincipalForm" >
>

>       ID #:

This form seems to be more or less ok. Don't know
why you chose over here, but
well.

> > type="com.TeachersForm">   > name="teachers" property="teacher">

Now check this part:

>    " property="last" />

Looks pretty mangled to me; wonder if this compiles
at all. IIRC you mentioned complaints about missing
getters. This part most certainly is the culprit.

You can have multiple forms in a page, but only one
of them can be submitted at a time. Therefore, one
usually provides an with each form
declaration. You can achieve the same with JavaScript,
which you probably do here, but if you say something

document.forms[0].submit();
document.forms[1].submit();

the second line won't be executed anymore, for the
browser has already started a new request.

HTH,
-- Chris.

Re: html:form

Posted by Christian Bollmeyer <ja...@christianbollmeyer.de>.
On Sunday 18 April 2004 16:30, as as wrote:

Hi,

>Thanks for the reply. I am submitting both the forsm...

Probably, but where?

>so does only one submitted form end up in the request?

Yes.

>Here is my code briefly:

> type="com.PrincipalForm" >   <table border="1" width="100%">
>     <th align="right">
>       ID #:
>     </th>
>     <bean:write name="principal" property="ID" />

This form seems to be more or less ok. Don't know
why you chose <html-el> over <html> here, but
well.

> type="com.TeachersForm">   <logic:iterate id="teacher" type="Teacher"
> name="teachers" property="teacher"> <table>

Now check this part:

>             <bean:write name="<td align="center">
>             <bean:write name="driver" property="last" />

Looks pretty mangled to me; wonder if this compiles
at all. IIRC you mentioned complaints about missing
getters. This part most certainly is the culprit.

> </logic:iterate>

You can have multiple forms in a page, but only one
of them can be submitted at a time. Therefore, one
usually provides an <html:submit> with each form

Re: html:form

Posted by as as <sa...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks for the reply. I am submitting both the forsm...so does only one submitted form

end up in the request?
Here is my code briefly:

On Saturday 17 April 2004 05:13, as as wrote:
> Hi
>
> Has anyone implemented two html:form in a same jsp..
>
> I wish to do this to implement two tables.each table displaying
> values in a row, of a bean...
>
> so there are two beans...
>
> for some reason, it gives me error saying it cnat find getter for my
> second bean...though I did add getters and setters for all attributes
> in my struts form class.
>
> thanks in advance for the help,
>
> Sam

Hi,

could well be I'm not fully understanding the exact problem again,
but generally, two in a single JSP page are no
problem. The one you submit ends up in the request, and
gets renderered to just a normal HTML form
tag in the end. On to the beans. I'm not sure what kind of
bean you mean here. If it's the form bean (and it's the same
table), try referring to it in your second via
the token you used for the first one. If we're talking about
two different beans here, you have to make sure both of
them are actually there and bear different token names.
In this case, you have to manually create the 'second'
instance and put it in request or whatever scope so that
it can be found.

HTH,
-- Chris.

Re: html:form

Posted by Christian Bollmeyer <ja...@christianbollmeyer.de>.
On Saturday 17 April 2004 05:13, as as wrote:
> Hi
>
> Has anyone implemented two html:form in a same jsp..
>
> I wish to do this to implement two tables.each table displaying
> values in a row, of a bean...
>
> so there are two beans...
>
> for some reason, it gives me error saying it cnat find getter for my
> second bean...though I did add getters and setters for all attributes
> in my struts form class.
>
> thanks in advance for the help,
>
> Sam

Hi,

could well be I'm not fully understanding the exact problem again,
but generally, two <htlm:forms> in a single JSP page are no
problem. The one you submit ends up in the request, and
tag in the end. On to the beans. I'm not sure what kind of
bean you mean here. If it's the form bean (and it's the same
table), try referring to it in your second <html:form> via

Re: html:form

Posted by JavaSoft <ja...@yahoo.com>.
2 forms i assumed you use 2 diffrent actions. It
wouldn't matter how many form you have as long as you
set the action in your struts-config correctly.

If you use 2 forms just imagine you have 2 diffrent
pages, how you deal with it ? so its supposed to be
same as you handle your multiform.

--- as as <sa...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Has anyone implemented two html:form in a same jsp..
>
> I wish to do this to implement two tables.each table
> displaying values in a row, of a bean...
>
> so there are two beans...
>
> for some reason, it gives me error saying it cnat
> find getter for my second bean...though I did add
> getters and setters for all attributes in my struts
> form class.
>
> thanks in advance for the help,
>
> Sam

=====
==
thx,
a Java Student

html:form

Posted by as as <sa...@yahoo.com>.
Hi

Has anyone implemented two html:form in a same jsp..

I wish to do this to implement two tables.each table displaying values in a row, of a bean...

so there are two beans...

for some reason, it gives me error saying it cnat find getter for my second bean...though I did add getters and setters for all attributes in my struts form class.

thanks in advance for the help,

Sam

RE: basic problem in java

Posted by bi...@tcs.com.
its simple program im  posting it , actually everthing was working fine
but i tried to work with a  program that  was ment for running sqlloader
using my java program.. suddenly what happen  kept me in puzzled
situation.. after which a simple program like foollowing wasnt compiling
:((

the program is

import  java.io.*;
public class  helloWorld
{
        public static void main(String[] args)
        {
                System.out.println("Hello World!");

        }
}

thanks for your attention

Birendar Singh Waldiya

Max Cooper <ma...@maxcooper.com>
18-04-04 05:43 PM

Please respond to
"Struts Users Mailing List" <us...@struts.apache.org>

cc

Subject
RE: basic problem in java

Post the contents of your jaba1.java file up to and including the
"import java.io.*;" line. You might have the import statement in the
wrong place.

-Max

On Sun, 2004-04-18 at 00:16, birendar.waldiya@tcs.com wrote:
> My Classpath variable is set to         :

C:\jdk1.3.1\bin;c:\jdk1.3.1\lib\tools.jar;c:\jdk1.3.1\lib\rt.jar;c:\Drivers\classes111.zip;c:\Drivers\classes12.zip;c:\Drivers;c:\biren\java

> JDK is installed
>
> C:\jdk1.3.1
>
> can you please help me ??
>
> Birendar Singh Waldiya
>

> "David Friedman"
> <hu...@ix.netcom.com>
>
> 17-04-04 08:54 PM
>          Please respond to
>     "Struts Users Mailing List"
>      <us...@struts.apache.org>
> "Struts Users
> Mailing List"
> <us...@struts.apache.org>
>                cc
>
>           Subject
> RE: basic problem
> in java
>

>   What is your CLASSPATH variable set to and is java installed in
> c:\biren\java?
>
>  Regards,
>  David

ForwardSourceID:NT000043B6

RE: basic problem in java (likely is a CLASSPATH problems on Windows)

Posted by David Friedman <hu...@ix.netcom.com>.
Ancient Chinese Secret (as the 70's/80's commercial goes):

In Windows environments (for me in NT 4.0 and XP Home edition),
you can't use "long" windows pathnames.  They must be of the
8.3 variety.  Do a "dir /x" in c:\ and see what is listed
for c:\jdk1.3.1.  I tried it on mine and it came up
with "C:\JDK13~1.1" as the 8.x path. so your path will probably
have to be fixed to look more like this:

C:\JDK13~1.1;C:\JDK13~1.1\LIB\tools.jar;C:\JDK13~1.1\lib\rt.jar; etc....
Keep in mind the c:\Drivers\classes111.zip might not work because it has a
file name longer than 8.3.

This problem gave me headaches for JDK 1.X.X and Tomcat 4.1 (not for 5.0
since I'd already learned my lesson!).

Check out your paths using "dir /x" and see if fixing your classpath (you
may have to reboot, depending on where/how you set your classpath) to
standard 8.3 directory names works. Again, you might need to do the same for
the .jar files but I don't know for sure since I use Tomcat and Eclipse
making paths 'mostly' unimportant to me.

Regards,
David

RE: basic problem in java

Posted by Max Cooper <ma...@maxcooper.com>.
Post the contents of your jaba1.java file up to and including the
"import java.io.*;" line. You might have the import statement in the
wrong place.

-Max

On Sun, 2004-04-18 at 00:16, birendar.waldiya@tcs.com wrote:
> My Classpath variable is set to         :
> C:\jdk1.3.1\bin;c:\jdk1.3.1\lib\tools.jar;c:\jdk1.3.1\lib\rt.jar;c:\Drivers\classes111.zip;c:\Drivers\classes12.zip;c:\Drivers;c:\biren\java
>
> JDK is installed
>
> C:\jdk1.3.1
>
> can you please help me ??
>
> Birendar Singh Waldiya
>

> "David Friedman"
> <hu...@ix.netcom.com>
>
> 17-04-04 08:54 PM
>          Please respond to
>     "Struts Users Mailing List"
>      <us...@struts.apache.org>
> "Struts Users
> Mailing List"
> <us...@struts.apache.org>
>                cc
>
>           Subject
> RE: basic problem
> in java
>

>   What is your CLASSPATH variable set to and is java installed in
> c:\biren\java?
>
>  Regards,
>  David

I sent  the possible reason , i didnt get exact one .. probaly you might
have skipped my mail or deleted

Birendar Singh Waldiya
Tata Consultancy Services
Mailto: birendar.waldiya@tcs.com
Website: http://www.tcs.com

"David Friedman" <hu...@ix.netcom.com>
21-04-04 02:39 AM

Please respond to
"Struts Users Mailing List" <us...@struts.apache.org>

cc

Subject
RE: basic problem in java

So Birendar,

What was your problem?  I never saw a post about you resolving it. (and,
curiosity killed the cat)

Regards,
David

    this may be  a slightly silly question for  people working on struts
etc
  but im facing it and i dont have the clue why im getting it.. can anyone
  suggest me  why im getting proble..
   while compiling a java program  my javac is unable to resolve the
standard
  java classes  like  java.io.*   java.util.* ;

   C:\biren\java>javac jaba1.java
   jaba1.java:2: cannot resolve symbol
   symbol  : class io
   location: class java
   import java.io.*;

   whats  the problem  please help !
               ^
   Birendar Singh Waldiya

  ForwardSourceID:NT0000434E

ForwardSourceID:NT00004B02

RE: basic problem in java

RE: basic problem in java

   this may be  a slightly silly question for  people working on struts etc
but im facing it and i dont have the clue why im getting it.. can anyone
suggest me  why im getting proble..
  while compiling a java program  my javac is unable to resolve the standard
java classes  like  java.io.*   java.util.* ;

  C:\biren\java>javac jaba1.java
  jaba1.java:2: cannot resolve symbol
  symbol  : class io
  location: class java