Posted to dev@royale.apache.org by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com> on 2020/12/03 21:56:11 UTC

Flash Player EOL and Royale

What does the EOL mean to Royale?

Specifically, we rely on Flash to run tests when compiling the framework. Is it only the tests which will be a problem or is there something else?

Is the Flash Player Debugger also going to stop working or is this just the Flash browser plugin?

Harbs

AW: Flash Player EOL and Royale

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
As this statement says that “All downloads for FlashPlayer will be removed” I think we’ll lose the ability to build “with-swf” with Maven on new machines (Ones that haven’t downloaded the Flashplayer till then).

Perhaps we could ask Adobe if we could publish the playerglobal.swc/swf once and then perhaps adjust the build to use this fixed version.

Chris

Von: Edward Stangler <es...@bradmark.com>
Datum: Freitag, 4. Dezember 2020 um 11:11
An: dev@royale.apache.org <de...@royale.apache.org>
Betreff: Re: Flash Player EOL and Royale

They will remove all downloads after 2020:

    https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/end-of-life.html

There is a way for enterprise users and developers to enable Flash
Player (in browser) beyond 2020 (it's just unsupported):

    https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/enterprise-end-of-life.html

https://community.adobe.com/t5/flash-player/adobe-flash-player-end-of-life-past-dec-31-2020-how-is-blocking-of-flash-content-enforced/td-p/11184441?page=1

I can't imagine how they would block standalone Flash Player / Flash
Debug Player (especially older versions) if you disconnect your network
cable.  Or cover it with tin foil.

Re: Flash Player EOL and Royale

Posted by Edward Stangler <es...@bradmark.com>.

Posted by Hugo Ferreira <hf...@gmail.com>.
Indeed Carlos,

It's very important to choose an open source framework for the client side.
For the server side it's also a better choice, however if you don't have
any more updates it's protected in a black box environment.
On the client side it always depends on the user OS, browser, etc .. that
we don't control.

A community framework it's not dependent on a company's decisions and being
open source allows perpetual the framework support (of course that this
depends on the community).

Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org> escreveu no dia sexta, 4/12/2020
à(s) 10:02:

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.