Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com> on 2006/09/23 17:04:11 UTC

[drlvm] my latest round of patches broke something

This is completely my fault.

The latest round of patches, while I dutifully do smoke, c-unit and
kernel tests for each patch, I didn't do any app testing.

I tried to run ActiveMQ, and it breaks with an asset in
object_handles.cpp : 99

I'm going to back out the two GC patches I applied and hope for the
best.

geir

Re: [drlvm] my latest round of patches broke something

Posted by Weldon Washburn <we...@gmail.com>.
OK.  It looks like somebody already added the directories.  My apologies for
wasting 2 hours of Rana and Evgueni's time on IM on this...

Posted by Weldon Washburn <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Evgueni Brevnov <ev...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Evgueni Brevnov <ev...@gmail.com>.
On 9/26/06, Ilya Berezhniuk <il...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1) I guess user must not get os thread handle for destroyed thread. On Linux
> apr_os_thread_get does "*thethd = thd->td", it will not work with destroyed
> structure too. I've simply made Win implementation to be like on Linux.
Native thread is still running but its APR counterpart destroyed. On
Linux they returns native handle... not a pointer to local field. I
think it should work.

Posted by Ilya Berezhniuk <il...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Evgueni Brevnov <ev...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Dmitry Durnev <dm...@gmail.com>.
Yes, "build update" really helps, thanks.

On 9/26/06, Vladimir Gorr <vv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I meant *build.bat update*, certainly. In this case all works fine w/o my
> patch,
>

> I'd like to slightly continue the discussion about this patch. No needs to
> apply it now
>
> after Geir committed the thread.c file for *H-1457*. This file contains a
> fix for the APR bug.
>
> (BTW it'd be not bad to mention about this issue on the APR dev list. Sure
> it makes sense).
>
> Our patch is a workaround to avoid this bug.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Vladimir.
>

>  Maybe a clue for your issue is here. At least I have same issue right now.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Vladimir.
> >
> > --
> > >
> > > Dmitry A. Durnev,

Dmitry A. Durnev,

Posted by Vladimir Gorr <vv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
On Sep 26, 2006, at 12:25 AM, Vladimir Gorr wrote:

> On 9/25/06, Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:
>>

>> Vladimir Gorr wrote:

>> > Sorry I was mistaken :-(. JAVA_HOME refers to RI and therefore all
>> works.
>>
>> So just to make this perfectly clear :
>>
>> 1) the code in SVN is ok
>

> What about *patches/win/APR/threadproc/win32/thread.c* file?

Done

> 2) the problem was because JAVA_HOME was pointing to the RI
>

> Absolutely.
>

> 3) we should ignore the patch you inlined in the message before
> this one
>

> I'm not sure. This patch eliminates a lot of test failures as I
> mentioned
> before (BTW you also commented on same issue into H-1457).
> Do we want to live with this? And one more note is our patch is not
> related
> with eliminating the ActiveMQ crash. It's another story.

I wasn't arguing, I was trying to figure out what you were saying,
because it seemed like once you did a clean rebuild, all was ok.  Now
I'll assume that all was *not* ok.  I just added thread.c.  My fault
- I overlooked it.  Sorry.

Posted by Vladimir Gorr <vv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dmitry Durnev <dm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vladimir Gorr <vv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Vladimir Gorr <vv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vladimir Gorr <vv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Vladimir Gorr <vv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rana Dasgupta <rd...@gmail.com>.
I looked at it( gc.LOS hang ) for a while and my findings are somewhat
similar to Alexey's. The problem occurs for me all the time irrespective of
where the trace statement apprears( ref: Weldon's comment ). On breaking in,
the call stack at hang is:

 ntdll.dll!7c90eb94()
  ntdll.dll!7c90ea53()
  kernel32.dll!7c81e956()
> hythr.dll!apr_winapi_SwitchToThread()  Line 219 + 0x2b C
  hythr.dll!apr_thread_yield()  Line 195 C
  hythr.dll!hythread_yield()  Line 297 C
  hythr.dll!wait_safe_region_event(HyThread * thread=0x0e80d408)  Line 227 C
  hythr.dll!hythread_suspend_all(HyThread * * t=0x036af7b0, HyThreadGroup *
group=0x00000000)  Line 401 + 0x9 C
  harmonyvm.dll!stop_the_world_root_set_enumeration()  Line 89 + 0xb C++
  harmonyvm.dll!vm_enumerate_root_set_all_threads()  Line 143 C++
  gc.dll!enumerate_universe()  Line 127 + 0x8 C++
  gc.dll!copy_gc(int size=4108)  Line 326 + 0x16 C++
  gc.dll!select_gc(int size=4108)  Line 96 + 0x9 C++
  gc.dll!gc_alloc(unsigned int in_size=4108, unsigned int ah=21234656, void
* thread_pointer=0x0102c4cc)  Line 238 + 0x9 C++
  harmonyvm.dll!vm_new_vector_using_vtable_and_thread_pointer(int
length=4096, unsigned int vector_handle=21234656, void * tp=0x0102c4cc)
Line 233 + 0x14 C++
  harmonyvm.dll!vm_rt_new_vector_using_vtable_and_thread_pointer(int
length=4096, unsigned int vector_handle=21234656, void * tp=0x0102c4cc)
Line 111 + 0x11 C++
  01341775()
  harmonyvm.dll!set_unwindable(bool unwindable=true)  Line 140 + 0xd C++
  ntdll.dll!7c90e591()
  ntdll.dll!7c90110a()
  hythr.dll!apr_thread_mutex_unlock(apr_thread_mutex_t * mutex=0x014ddba6)
Line 117 C
  gc.dll!GC_VTable_Info::is_finalizible()  Line 121 + 0x16 C++
  207ea704()
  jitrino.dll!Jitrino::Jet::rt_h_i64_a(__int64 v1=502568517412, __int64
v2=0, JavaByteCodes op=OPCODE_NOP)  Line 211 + 0x2f C++
  ntdll.dll!7c9106eb()
  ntdll.dll!7c9011a7()
  ntdll.dll!7c96cde9()
  ntdll.dll!7c918e94()
  ntdll.dll!7c918f87()
  ntdll.dll!7c90e591()
  ntdll.dll!7c926abe()
  ntdll.dll!7c96cde9()
  ntdll.dll!7c96e0f0()
  ntdll.dll!7c96e0d4()
  ntdll.dll!7c918dfa()
  ntdll.dll!7c90d625()
  harmonyvm.dll!initialize_arg_list_iterator(const char * descr=0x0057c530)
Line 52 + 0x7 C++
  harmonyvm.dll!Method::get_argument_list()  Line 237 + 0x11 C++
  036afd5c()
  harmonyvm.dll!JIT_execute_method_default(void * jit=0x00000000, _jmethodID
* methodID=0x02686c40, jvalue * return_value=0x00000000, jvalue *
args=0x036afeac)  Line 199 C++
  em.dll!DrlEMImpl::executeMethod(_jmethodID * meth=0x02686c40, jvalue *
return_value=0x00000000, jvalue * args=0x036afeac)  Line 488 + 0x16 C++
  em.dll!ExecuteMethod(_jmethodID * meth=0x02686c40, jvalue *
return_value=0x00000000, jvalue * args=0x036afeac)  Line 42 + 0x21 C++
  harmonyvm.dll!vm_execute_java_method_array(_jmethodID * method=0x02686c40,
jvalue * result=0x00000000, jvalue * args=0x036afeac)  Line 58 + 0x1c C++
  harmonyvm.dll!call_method_no_ref_result(JNIEnv_External * env=0x0084e958,
_jobject * obj=0x02d7e1a0, _jmethodID * methodID=0x02686c40, jvalue *
args=0x00000000, jvalue * result=0x00000000, int non_virtual=0)  Line 164 +
0x11 C++
  harmonyvm.dll!CallVoidMethodA(JNIEnv_External * env=0x0084e958, _jobject *
obj=0x02d7e1a0, _jmethodID * methodID=0x02686c40, jvalue * args=0x00000000)
Line 199 + 0x19 C++
  harmonyvm.dll!wrapper_proc(void * arg=0x02d74078)  Line 98 + 0x27 C
  hythr.dll!thread_start_proc(apr_thread_t * thd=0x0042c180, void *
p_args=0x0042c0d8)  Line 704 + 0xf C
  hythr.dll!dummy_worker(void * opaque=0x0042c180)  Line 79 + 0x13 C
  hythr.dll!_threadstartex(void * ptd=0x0039f3a8)  Line 241 + 0xd C
  kernel32.dll!7c80b50b()
  gc.dll!Partial_Reveal_Object::obj_info()  Line 148 + 0x3d C++
  kernel32.dll!7c8399f3()

There seems to be some kind of endless loop in apr_winapi_switchtothread()
,and I suspect that the problem may be quite similar to Alexey's findings.
I plan to investigate, but at this moment I am too broken with several tests
failing before I can even get to this point.

Thanks,

Rana

Posted by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com>.
Folks,

Posted by Weldon Washburn <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Vladimir Gorr wrote:
> On 9/25/06, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Sep 25, 2006, at 5:19 AM, Vladimir Gorr wrote:
>>
>> > As for me (and other people) a lot of tests fail for the latest
>> > sources (revision 449592).
>> > I've run the build.bat clean; build.bat update; build.bat command
>> > in compliance with comments for H-1457.
>> > It's very strange for me it mentions here all C-unit tests work
>> > fine. Sorry I cannot confirm this.
>>
>> It certainly did on my machine after a clean - update build, and then
>> hung on gc.LOS.
>

> Under what platform? This problem exists only for Windows.

Right - that patch was only for windows too.  On WinXP, MSVC .NET 2003

geir

Posted by Rana Dasgupta <rd...@gmail.com>.
Yes, this makes sense. In that case, my vote would be to apply Atrem's patch
new_queued_cond_var.patch  in H-1519. Let's run with this and the new
thread.c( that we have already applied from H-1457 ) for a while. If we
discover no new issues, we can go chat about them on the APR list?

Thanks,
Rana

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Rana Dasgupta <rd...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Evgueni Brevnov <ev...@gmail.com>.
On 9/26/06, Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> > > H-1519 may be
> > > needed ( I suspect it is ), but we can look at it after the first
> > > two fixes
> > > have gone in?
> >
> > Look away
>
> The H-1519 spotted major issue, committed patch to APR thread_cond*
> certainly has holes.
It seems Alexey is right. Before this patch build test (on my local
workspace with Invocation API implemented) worked fine. After I merged
I got 3 new failures on kernel test java.lang.Thread. It still
possible to be a problem of the merge (or my local changes are
incompatible) but I didn't touch the area I got the failures on.

Evgueni

Posted by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com>.
[snip]

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
On Sep 25, 2006, at 5:07 PM, Rana Dasgupta wrote:

> Hi Weldon/Geir,
>   Looks like we have quite a few Windows failures. Could one of you
> folks
> please add in the the new file:
>
> patches/win/APR/threadproc/win32/thread.c
>
>  that is in 1457, but possibly got dropped from the commit?

Possibly?  Most definitely!  So sorry.  I was a bonehead.

>  We also need H-1340 to fix the assert in the fat monitor.

Done

> H-1519 may be
> needed ( I suspect it is ), but we can look at it after the first
> two fixes
> have gone in?

Look away

Posted by Rana Dasgupta <rd...@gmail.com>.
Hi Weldon/Geir,
   Looks like we have quite a few Windows failures. Could one of you folks
please add in the the new file:

patches/win/APR/threadproc/win32/thread.c

  that is in 1457, but possibly got dropped from the commit?

  We also need H-1340 to fix the assert in the fat monitor. H-1519 may be

Posted by Vladimir Gorr <vv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ilya Berezhniuk <il...@gmail.com>.
Geir, Vladimir,

I've returned from vacation today, so my 2 cents to this discussion...

I guess the problem have appeared because in r449399 the changes for
win/apr_thread_ext.c
were committed, but new file patches/win/APR/threadproc/win32/thread.c was
not committed. These changes are work together.

The patch suggested by Vladimir will not fix issue completely. I cannot

Posted by Vladimir Gorr <vv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vladimir Gorr <vv...@gmail.com>.
On 9/25/06, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:

> On Sep 25, 2006, at 5:19 AM, Vladimir Gorr wrote:
>
> > As for me (and other people) a lot of tests fail for the latest
> > sources (revision 449592).
> > I've run the build.bat clean; build.bat update; build.bat command
> > in compliance with comments for H-1457.
> > It's very strange for me it mentions here all C-unit tests work
> > fine. Sorry I cannot confirm this.
>
> It certainly did on my machine after a clean - update build, and then
> hung on gc.LOS.
>

> > The detailed investigation showed the patch for H-1457 is
> > incorrect. I've attached a patch fixing this issue.
> > Thanks Evgueni Brevnov for preparing this patch. After applying
> > these changes the issue disappeared.
>
> Where is that patch?  it didn't make it through to list - can you
> just re-open 1457 and attach there?

Not I cannot due to  I have no permissions for this.
Our patch looks like this:

Index: apr_thread_ext.c
--- apr_thread_ext.c (revision 449604)
+++ apr_thread_ext.c (working copy)
@@ -28,14 +28,14 @@
 APR_DECLARE(apr_status_t) apr_thread_set_priority(apr_thread_t *thread,
                 apr_int32_t priority)
 {
-    HANDLE *os_thread;
+    apr_os_thread_t * os_thread;
     apr_status_t status;

-    if (status = apr_os_thread_get(&((apr_os_thread_t *)os_thread),
thread)) {
+    if (status = apr_os_thread_get(&os_thread, thread)) {
         return status;
     }

-    if (SetThreadPriority(*os_thread, (int)convert_priority(priority))) {
+    if (SetThreadPriority((HANDLE)os_thread,
(int)convert_priority(priority))) {
         return APR_SUCCESS;
     } else {
         return apr_get_os_error();
@@ -50,23 +50,24 @@

 // touch thread to flash memory
 APR_DECLARE(apr_status_t) apr_thread_yield_other(apr_thread_t* thread) {
-    HANDLE *os_thread = NULL;
+    apr_os_thread_t * os_thread = NULL;
     apr_status_t status;
-    if (status = apr_os_thread_get(&((apr_os_thread_t *)os_thread),
thread)) {
+    if (status = apr_os_thread_get(&os_thread, thread)) {
         return status;
     }
-        if(!os_thread) {
-//        printf ("detached thread\n");
-              return status;
-        }
-       //printf("suspending %d\n", *os_thread);
-    if(-1!=SuspendThread(*os_thread)) {
-         ResumeThread(*os_thread);
- //      printf("resuming %d\n", *os_thread);
-        } else {
-  //            printf("fail to suspend %d\n", *os_thread);
-        }
-  return APR_SUCCESS;
+    if(!os_thread) {
+        // printf ("detached thread\n");
+        return status;
+    }
+
+    // printf("suspending %d\n", *os_thread);
+    if(SuspendThread((HANDLE)os_thread) != -1) {
+        ResumeThread((HANDLE)os_thread);
+        // printf("resuming %d\n", *os_thread);
+    } else {
+        // printf("fail to suspend %d\n", *os_thread);
+    }
+    return APR_SUCCESS;
 }

 APR_DECLARE(void) apr_memory_rw_barrier() {
@@ -79,19 +80,19 @@
     FILETIME exitTime;
     FILETIME kernelTime;
     FILETIME userTime;
-    HANDLE *hThread;
+    apr_os_thread_t * os_thread;
     SYSTEMTIME sysTime;
     int res;
     __int64 xx;
     __int32 * pp;
     apr_status_t status;

-    if (status = apr_os_thread_get(&((apr_os_thread_t *)hThread), thread))
{
+    if (status = apr_os_thread_get(&os_thread, thread)) {
         return status;
     }

     res = GetThreadTimes(
-        *hThread,
+        (HANDLE)os_thread,
         &creationTime,
         &exitTime,
         &kernelTime,
@@ -125,13 +126,15 @@

 APR_DECLARE(apr_status_t) apr_get_thread_time(apr_thread_t *thread,
apr_int64_t* nanos_ptr)
 {
-    HANDLE *os_thread;
+    apr_os_thread_t * os_thread;
     apr_status_t status;
     FILETIME creation_time, exit_time, kernel_time, user_time;
-    if (status = apr_os_thread_get(&((apr_os_thread_t *)os_thread),
thread)!=APR_SUCCESS) {
+
+    status = apr_os_thread_get(&os_thread, thread);
+    if (status != APR_SUCCESS) {
         return status;
     }
-    GetThreadTimes(*os_thread, &creation_time,
+    GetThreadTimes((HANDLE)os_thread, &creation_time,
         &exit_time, &kernel_time,
         &user_time);

@@ -141,13 +144,15 @@
 }

 APR_DECLARE(apr_status_t) apr_thread_cancel(apr_thread_t *thread) {
-    HANDLE *os_thread;
+    apr_os_thread_t * os_thread;
     apr_status_t status;
-    if (status = apr_os_thread_get(&((apr_os_thread_t *)os_thread),
thread)) {
+
+    status = apr_os_thread_get(&os_thread, thread);
+    if (status != APR_SUCCESS) {
         return status;
     }

-    if (TerminateThread(*os_thread, 0)) {
+    if (TerminateThread((HANDLE)os_thread, 0)) {
         return APR_SUCCESS;
     } else {
         return apr_get_os_error();

Thanks,