Posted to dev@iotdb.apache.org by Xiangdong Huang <sa...@gmail.com> on 2020/01/11 03:34:37 UTC

[discuss] more strict code reivew for PRs

Hi,

It is a good news that more and more contributors submit codes to IoTDB.
As a database project, guaranteeing its stale and high performance is the
first class task.

Current we have introduced Sonar Cloud code analysis and Cover Coverage
analysis, but it is only enabled for committers (i.e., who has the write
permission of IoTDB repo). I'd like to suggest:

1. For all PRs that for fixing BUG, you MUST add test to REPRODUCE the bug
before you fix it. (For concurrency bug, you at least add a test to try to
reproduce it.)

2. For all PRs that for new feature, you MUST add test to ENABLE the
feature after you implement it.

3. For all committers, if you submit a PR, please pay attention to the
result of Sonar and Cover Coverage. I know some Sonar Cloud results are not
so reasonable but if you decide to ignore them, please leave message in
your PR. Otherwise other reviewers do not know why you ignore them.
For the cover coverage, I think the only reason that the cover coverage
ratio decreases is we add new get/set methods.

4. For other contributors that can not enable IoTDB's code coverage and
sonar cloud. Either please enable it on your forked repo and share the
result, or at least one reviewer forks the branch and analyze it on IoT
repo and share the result (in this way, we let new contributor do less
things but reviewers do more).

Hope the code repo can grow quick and keep stable!

Best,
Xiangdong Huang
School of Software, Tsinghua University

 黄向东