Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Matt Dong <ma...@camilion.com> on 2008/05/09 15:40:39 UTC

Failing to generate pdf document from fo.

Hello everybody,

We have a problem here failing to generate pdf document from fo. In most cases our application uses fo to generate pdf, and it works perfectly, but it fails when it comes in a special case. in the special case, here are the messages we get when building the pdf files.

Failing to generate pdf document from fo.
293     org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.inline.InlineStackingLayoutManager     addALetterSpaceTo
301     org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.inline.InlineStackingLayoutManager     addALetterSpaceTo
141     org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.InlineKnuthSequence     addALetterSpace
80     org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.InlineKnuthSequence     appendSequence
91     org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.KnuthSequence     appendSequenceOrClose
323     org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.inline.InlineLayoutManager     getNextKnuthElements
658     org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.inline.LineLayoutManager     collectInlineKnuthElements
593     org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.inline.LineLayoutManager     getNextKnuthElements
284     org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.BlockStackingLayoutManager     getNextKnuthElements
113     org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.BlockLayoutManager     getNextKnuthElements
284     org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.BlockStackingLayoutManager     getNextKnuthElements
113     org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.BlockLayoutManager     getNextKnuthElements
168     org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.table.TableCellLayoutManager     getNextKnuthElements
480     org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.table.TableContentLayoutManager     createElementsForRowGroup
243     org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.table.TableContentLayoutManager     getKnuthElementsForRowIterator
183     org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.table.TableContentLayoutManager     getNextKnuthElements
229     org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.table.TableLayoutManager     getNextKnuthElements
284     org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.BlockStackingLayoutManager     getNextKnuthElements
113     org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.BlockLayoutManager     getNextKnuthElements
284     org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.BlockStackingLayoutManager     getNextKnuthElements
113     org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.BlockLayoutManager     getNextKnuthElements
284     org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.BlockStackingLayoutManager     getNextKnuthElements
113     org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.BlockLayoutManager     getNextKnuthElements
285     org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.BlockContainerLayoutManager     getNextKnuthElements
285     org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.BlockContainerLayoutManager     getNextKnuthElements
284     org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.BlockStackingLayoutManager     getNextKnuthElements
113     org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.BlockLayoutManager     getNextKnuthElements
285     org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.BlockContainerLayoutManager     getNextKnuthElements
284     org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.BlockStackingLayoutManager     getNextKnuthElements
113     org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.BlockLayoutManager     getNextKnuthElements
106     org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.FlowLayoutManager     getNextKnuthElements
272     org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.PageSequenceLayoutManager$PageBreaker     getNextKnuthElements
554     org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.AbstractBreaker     getNextBlockList
264     org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.PageSequenceLayoutManager$PageBreaker     getNextBlockList
301     org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.AbstractBreaker     doLayout
263     org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.AbstractBreaker     doLayout
157     org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.PageSequenceLayoutManager     activateLayout
385     org.apache.fop.area.AreaTreeHandler     endPageSequence
148     org.apache.fop.fo.pagination.PageSequence     endOfNode
378     org.apache.fop.fo.FOTreeBuilder$MainFOHandler     endElement
194     org.apache.fop.fo.FOTreeBuilder     endElement

 It would be greate if someone could share his or her experience on this problem!

Thanks in advance

Matt

Re: Failing to generate pdf document from fo.

Posted by Andreas Delmelle <an...@telenet.be>.
On May 9, 2008, at 19:02, Matt Dong wrote:
> We tested with 0.94, the bug still exists. When we tested with
> 0.95beta, we got other exception as blow,
>
> Error SXCH0003: org.apache.fop.fo.ValidationException:
> org.apache.fop.fo.ValidationException: Error(43872/-1): column-
> number or number of cells in the row overflows the number of
> fo:table-column specified for the table.

That was indeed a bug before 0.95beta.
With 0.95, what you can do to avoid this is:
* make sure the stylesheet produces no rows containing more cells
than the number of columns,
* or don't specify explicit columns.

The first option should also work for the earlier two versions. The
second one, I'm not sure...

HTH!

Andreas

Re: Failing to generate pdf document from fo.

Posted by Andreas Delmelle <an...@telenet.be>.
On May 9, 2008, at 19:57, Matt Dong wrote:
> Could we just disable the exception and make it like warning
> message for us? If yes, where can we do that?

Nope. This can currently only be avoided by correcting the stylesheet
to produce correct FO.

Cheers

Andreas

RE: Failing to generate pdf document from fo.

Posted by Matt Dong <ma...@camilion.com>.
Could we just disable the exception and make it like warning message for us? If yes, where can we do that?

We tested with 0.94, the bug still exists. When we tested with 0.95beta, we got other exception as blow,

Error SXCH0003: org.apache.fop.fo.ValidationException: org.apache.fop.fo.ValidationException: Error(43872/-1): column-number or number of cells in the row overflows the number of fo:table-column specified for the table.

Thanks,
Matt

Posted by Andreas Delmelle <an...@telenet.be>.

Posted by Matt Dong <ma...@camilion.com>.
Thanks for your help.

We use FOP Implementation-Version: 0.93.

I don't have access to the FO file now. I will try to get it for you.

Matt

On May 9, 2008, at 15:40, Matt Dong wrote:

Hi

> We have a problem here failing to generate pdf document from fo. In
> most cases our application uses fo to generate pdf, and it works
> perfectly, but it fails when it comes in a special case. in the
> special case, here are the messages we get when building the pdf
> files.

First question: which FOP version are you using?

Secondly: It would be very helpful if you could supply us with a
minimal FO for this special case.
(Take care to obfuscate the content if we're not supposed to see it.)

Cheers

Andreas

Re: Failing to generate pdf document from fo.

Posted by Andreas Delmelle <an...@telenet.be>.