Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Chris <cp...@earthlink.net> on 2007/02/25 19:32:43 UTC

email header question

I use earthlink as my provider, back about the middle of this month they
started adding an extra recived header to mail:

        by mx-nebolish.atl.sa.earthlink.net (EarthLink SMTP Server) with SMTP
id 1hiXGc2Gu3Nl3490; Sun, 18 Feb 2007 20:51:00 -0500 (EST)

Then there is the normal header after that

        by mx-nebolish.atl.sa.earthlink.net (EarthLink SMTP Server) with ESMTP
id 1hiXGb40T3Nl3490
        for <cp...@earthlink.net>; Sun, 18 Feb 2007 20:50:59 -0500 (EST)

Previously there was just this:

        by mx-nebolish.atl.sa.earthlink.net (EarthLink SMTP Server) with ESMTP
id 1hg98G1N43Nl3490

What is the purpose of the Received: from noehlo.host ([127.0.0.1])? Is there
a way to remove it from incoming mail?

--
Chris
KeyID 0xE372A7DA98E6705C

Re: email header question

Posted by Chris <cp...@earthlink.net>.
On Saturday 24 March 2007 2:23 pm, vruk wrote:
> Was there ever an answer to this?
> I have every one of my emails from earthlink saying they are suspicious,
> using the earthlnk scamblocker analize.
> What is noehlo.host?

I finally got the attention of a few people at corp and here is a reply from
one of them:

> Ok, I have a little more info on this.  First, my big caveat is that I'm
> the product manager for email and am largely playing a role of
> translating here between our engineers.
>
> The high level thing that is going on is that we are making some changes
> in our mail delivery.   As new email threats emerge (spam, viruses,
> etc.) we wanted to re-architect how we deliver our email so that we
> could do some more things in terms of analyzing the inbound messages.
> The result of this is an extra hop within our network before the message
> delivery.   This hop happens within our network and technically the IP
> address is a local host: 127.0.0.1
>
> We believe we're doing the right thing by listing this hop and
> appropriate IP in the mail headers.
>
> I'm not too familiar with Karsten's anti-spam script.   What IP address
> is the script trying to find that is getting tripped up by this
> additional hop?   It seems that the script could account for this by
> looking for the originating IP instead of other hops.  But maybe I am
> missing something here.
>
> We're working through all this right now, so your feedback is definitely
> welcome.
>
> -Stephen

If I get anymore info I'll forward it along.

--
Chris
KeyID 0xE372A7DA98E6705C

Re: email header question