Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Xiaowei Jiang <xi...@stratify.com> on 2002/03/29 20:23:00 UTC

[httpclient]: support for client side certificate

Hi, we need client side certificate support for https. It looks we can do
this easily with the following changes:

1) in HttpConnection, add a method setSocketFactory(SSLSocketFactory
factory).
In HttpConnection.open, use factory.createSocket(host,port) instead of
SSLSocketFactory.getDefault().createSocket(host,port);

So the user can initialize the ssl socket factory with the appropriate
certificate.

2) in HttpState and HttpSharedState, add a member SSLContext and expose it.

3) in HttpClient and HttpMultiClient, use the SSLContext from HttpState to
get the SSLScoketFactory and pass it to HttpConnection.

How do others think about it? I can post the patch if others agree. It would
be nice if we can get this in the proposed beta. Thanks!

-Xiaowei