Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Vicent Mas <uv...@gmail.com> on 2014/09/11 13:48:58 UTC

Customizing a website using forrest 0.10-dev and dispatcher

Hi,

I'm trying to build a website with forrest 0.10 and the dispatcher
plugin. My current problem is that all my customizations are ignored. For
instance, if I change the copyright in a footer it is not updated. I've used
the Dispatcher Quickstart (version 0.8 is the most modern version I found) as
a guide when possible. The current structure of my website is as follows (best
read with a monospace font):

forrest
  |-forrest.properties
  |-forrest.properties.dispatcher.properties
  |-forrest.properties.xml
  |-build
  |-src
    |-documentation
 |-Readme.txt
 |-sitemap.xmap
 |-skinconf.xml
 |-classes
 |-conf
 |-translations
 |-content
 |  |-xdocs
 |    |-site.xml
 |    |-tabs.xml
 |    |-index.xml
 |    |-files and folders with the website content
 |-resources
   |-images
|-schema
|-structurer
|  |-url
|    |-screenshots
|      |-index.structurer.xml (customize the html view of the
screenshots/index.html page)

|-stylesheets
|-themes
 |-common
 |  |-html
 |    |- a bunch of customized contracts
 |-pelt
 |  |-css
 |  |-images
 |  |-panels
 |    |-pelt-css.panel.xml
 |    |-pelt-html.content.panel.xml
 |    |-pelt-html.footer.panel.xml
 |    |-pelt-html.head.panel.xml
 |    |-pelt-html.header.panel.xml
 |    |-pelt-html.leftbar.panel.xml
 |    |-pelt-html.nav-main.panel.xml
 |    |-pelt-html.panel.xml
 |    |-pelt-html.screeshots_head.panel.xml (used in
 |                                           index.structurer.xml)
 |-common.structurer.xml
 |-pelt.structurer.xml

The content of the $THEMES folder has been copied from
$FORREST_HOME/whiteboard/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.internal.dispatcher/themer/themes
in order to customise (adding/removing contracts or using my own contracts)
how website pages are rendered.
The $STRUCTURER folder allows to customize a given page differently to the
bulk of pages.

The above hierarchy worked in the past (when 0.9 was the development
version) but currently it fails with both 0.9 stable and 0.10 development
versions:
- with 0.9 version I get the error explained in one of my previous mails
  (Subject: Building my website with forrest 0.9. Thanks again to
David Crossley for his help)
- with 0.10 version my customizations are silently ignored but at least the
  website is displayed

It seems that my best chance is to use forrest 0.10.

Could somebody tell me how should I customise my website with the dispatcher
and the 0.10 version please? I am really stuck.

TIA (and sorry for the lengthy mail).

Vicent

--
Share what you know, learn what you don't.

Re: Customizing a website using forrest 0.10-dev and dispatcher

Posted by Vicent Mas <uv...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 11:24 AM, Vicent Mas <uv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 11:03 AM, David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> wrote:

>>> No luck. I keep getting a "Resource not found error".
>>
>> Okay. That might be due to its use of the projectInfo plugin
>> which we think might need tweaking as indicated in FOR-1188.

>>> I see.

>>> I don't use that plugin. As I said I used the quickstart document as a
>>> guide only when possible. IIRC my hierarchy of folders was built
>>> imitating the contents of the dispatcher plugin folder regarding
>>> themes.

>>> I hope so. As I said I'm really stuck.
>>
>> In the meantime you might be able to determine where the
>> Dispatcher is looking for those project resources by investigating
>> the various *.xmap sitemaps in the top-level of the Dispatcher
>> plugin and its locationmap.xml file.
>>
>> There are some debugging techniques listed here:
>> http://forrest.apache.org/howto-dev.html
>> and the link to the FAQ
>> http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_100/faq.html#version
>> to report all "properties" to help with following those sitemaps.
>>
>> -David
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm afraid I don't know anything about sitemaps and they don't seem to
> me something easy to understand. But I'll try to do my best and follow
> your recommendations. Thanks.
>
> Vicent

The dispatcher plugin is working fine now (thanks to David Crossley)
but its documentation (in particular the quickstart part) is still
outdated. I like to customize (via dispatcher obviously) my website as
follows:

- all pages but one share a common set of customizations
- there is one page customized differently to the rest of pages

Can somebody help me to get my goals? As I said in a previous mail I'm
really stuck (I'm trying to find out how the dispatcher plugin works
and then apply something similar to my website but I'm failing).

Any help will be appreciated.

TIA

Vicent

PS: the website hierarchy showed is not used anymore.

Posted by Vicent Mas <uv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vicent Mas <uv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sjur Moshagen <sj...@mac.com>.
11. sep. 2014 kl. 18:52 skrev Vicent Mas <uv...@gmail.com>:

> I've done it but I get a "Resource not found error". Anyway I've found
> the xml version of the document and the content seems to correspond to
> the document I mention above. The document talks about an
> org.apache.forrest.themes.core plugin that I'm unable to find

This was a plugin that was later moved into the Dispather plugin, see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-1213. You should not use it :)

Sjur

Re: Customizing a website using forrest 0.10-dev and dispatcher

Posted by Vicent Mas <uv...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

>> in order to customise (adding/removing contracts or using my own contracts)
>> how website pages are rendered.
>> The $STRUCTURER folder allows to customize a given page differently to the
>> bulk of pages.
>>
>> The above hierarchy worked in the past (when 0.9 was the development
>> version) but currently it fails with both 0.9 stable and 0.10 development
>> versions:
>> - with 0.9 version I get the error explained in one of my previous mails
>>   (Subject: Building my website with forrest 0.9. Thanks again to
>> David Crossley for his help)
>> - with 0.10 version my customizations are silently ignored but at least the
>>   website is displayed
>>
>> It seems that my best chance is to use forrest 0.10.
>>
>> Could somebody tell me how should I customise my website with the dispatcher
>> and the 0.10 version please? I am really stuck.

Vicent

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.