Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Mark McCulligh <mm...@visualtech.ca> on 2006/02/21 18:07:55 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache will not start

Hi Group,

I have a Ferdora Core 4 system with Apache 2.0.54 installed from rpm and
it is work fine.  I then installed PostgreSQL 8.1.3, MySQL 4.1.18 and
PHP 4.4.2 from their tarballs.   Everything compiled without any errors
that I saw.  When I add LoadModule PHP4 line to httpd.conf apache will
not start. If I do a configtest the syntax is ok, but get the message
FAILED when I run start.  There is no messages in the error log file and
it displays no error messages to me.  Just says failed.

How to I figure out that the problem is without any error messages or is
there another log file I can look for an error message in.

Thanks,
Mark

Re: [users@httpd] Apache will not start

Posted by Mark McCulligh <mm...@visualtech.ca>.
Joshua Slive wrote:

>On 2/21/06, Mark McCulligh <mm...@visualtech.ca> wrote:
>

>>Hi Group,
>>
>>I have a Ferdora Core 4 system with Apache 2.0.54 installed from rpm and
>>it is work fine.  I then installed PostgreSQL 8.1.3, MySQL 4.1.18 and
>>PHP 4.4.2 from their tarballs.   Everything compiled without any errors
>>that I saw.  When I add LoadModule PHP4 line to httpd.conf apache will
>>not start. If I do a configtest the syntax is ok, but get the message
>>FAILED when I run start.  There is no messages in the error log file and
>>it displays no error messages to me.  Just says failed.
>>
>>How to I figure out that the problem is without any error messages or is
>>there another log file I can look for an error message in.
>>

>Try starting httpd or apachectl directly rather than through the redhat scripts.
>
>But I'd give at least 3:1 odds that your problem is improper SELinux
>configuration on your new modules, meaning that the SELinux-restricted
>httpd cannot load them or one of their dependencies.  I don't have the
>recipe for the solution, but check the links under "Permission Denied"
>here:
>http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/faq/error.html#error.permissiondenied

Thanks Joshua,  I will disable SELinux and see if it solves my problem.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.