Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Dominique Devienne <DD...@lgc.com> on 2004/01/30 13:59:55 UTC

RE: New Ant Task Offered for Submission - 'warn' - a conditional echo at level MSG_WARN

> From: Peter Reilly [mailto:peter.reilly@corvil.com]
>
> I do think that the <echo> task should have an if/unless attribute.
> - similar to the <fail> task.

So do I. But since it was refused before, I did my own <echo>
on steroid... Echos various types, and sidesteps the text segment
merging Ant does with a nested <text> element.

BTW, it composes my ConditionalAspect to have the usual if/unless,
and then ifTrue/unlessTrue/os/osFamily. I don't get it why some
people still refuse to have such attributes and condition in
general on all tasks and types. The syntax's more compact and
consistent with what Ant already does in many places than using
<if> for example. Anyways, my needs are taken care of... --DD

PS: BTW2, composing ConditionalAspect takes too much code 'cause
    Java doesn't have multiple inheritance, but I think Ant should
    support the notion of Mixin by allowing tasks/types to provide
    auxiliary objects to RuntimeConfigurable so attributes/elements
    not present in the configured task/type can be looked up in
    these helper/aux objects. This would decouple task reuse from
    inheritance, and allow much better composition, with much less
    code to write.

    <echo ifTrue="${verbose}"
          xmlns="antlib:com.lgc.buildmagic">
      <path refid="modulepath" />
      <path refid="classpath" />
      <path refid="systempath" />
      <!--
      <propertyref name="SystemPath" />
      <propertyset refid="binary-configs" />
        -->
      <text />
      <text>Building ${ant.project.name}</text>
      <text>      on ${env.COMPUTERNAME}</text>
      <text>      at ${TIME_NOW} on ${TODAY}</text>
      <text>    from ${basedir}</text>
      <text>   using JDK ${java.vm.version}</text>
    </echo>