Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Hans Ulrich Niedermann <ni...@isd.uni-stuttgart.de> on 2000/08/03 00:56:01 UTC

C2/xalan/xerces: NoClassDefFoundError: XSchemaValidator

Hi,

I was brave yesterday and played with C2's Sitemap: I inserted some
Docbook XML -> HTML transformation and ran into a problem.

Now the first time I request some Docbook -> HTML translation I get a
NoClassDefFoundError exception (XSchemaValidator missing, traceback
below). All followup request of the same URI return the HTML code I
want.

If I use the xalan/xerces jars from C2 CVS on the command line, I get
the same exception. Current CVS xalan/xerces works flawlessly from the
command line, but doesn't work with Cocoon2.

BTW, I'm using current C2 from CVS, Tomcat 3.1, Sun JDK 1.2.2RC2.

Just in case someone is interested. Will be resolved with Xalan 2.0
anyway, I think.

Uli

P.S: Docbook XSL is not extraordinarily fast:
     K6-2/300MHz, quite a small&simple document takes
     approx. 30 (thirty!) seconds
-----8<----------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Servlet Error:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/xerces/validators/schema/XSchemaValidator
        at org.apache.xalan.xslt.FuncDocument.getDoc(FuncDocument.java:208)
        at org.apache.xalan.xslt.FuncDocument.execute(FuncDocument.java:171)
        at org.apache.xalan.xpath.Function.execute(Function.java, Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.xalan.xpath.XPath.executeFunction(XPath.java, Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.xalan.xpath.XPath.execute(XPath.java, Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.xalan.xpath.XPath.execute(XPath.java, Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.xalan.xpath.XPath.execute(XPath.java, Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.xalan.xpath.XPath.execute(XPath.java, Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.xalan.xslt.ElemVariable.getValue(ElemVariable.java, Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.xalan.xslt.ElemVariable.execute(ElemVariable.java, Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.xalan.xslt.Stylesheet.pushTopLevelVariables(Stylesheet.java, Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.xalan.xslt.XSLTEngineImpl.resolveTopLevelParams(XSLTEngineImpl.java, Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.xalan.xslt.XSLTEngineImpl.startDocument(XSLTEngineImpl.java, Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.cocoon.xml.util.DocumentHandlerWrapper.startDocument(DocumentHandlerWrapper.java, Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser.startDocument(SAXParser.java, Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.xerces.validators.common.XMLValidator.callStartDocument(XMLValidator.java, Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner$XMLDeclDispatcher.dispatch(XMLDocumentScanner.java, Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner.parseSome(XMLDocumentScanner.java, Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java, Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.cocoon.components.parser.XercesParser.parse(XercesParser.java, Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.cocoon.generation.FileGenerator.generate(FileGenerator.java, Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.ResourcePipeline.process(ResourcePipeline.java, Compiled Code)
        at _home._uli._public_html._xml_isd_uni_stuttgart_de._www._sitemap_xmap.process(_sitemap_xmap.java, Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.SitemapHandler.process(SitemapHandler.java, Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.SitemapManager.invoke(SitemapManager.java, Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon.process(Cocoon.java, Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet.service(CocoonServlet.java, Compiled Code)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java, Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.handleRequest(ServletWrapper.java, Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java, Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.tomcat.service.connector.Ajp12ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Ajp12ConnectionHandler.java, Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpConnectionThread.run(SimpleTcpEndpoint.java, Compiled Code)
-----8<----------------------------------------------------------------

Re: [Cocoon Devel]C2/xalan/xerces: docbook format

Posted by Hans Ulrich Niedermann <ni...@isd.uni-stuttgart.de>.
Brian May <ba...@snoopy.apana.org.au> writes:

>     Hans> P.S: Docbook XSL is not extraordinarily fast: K6-2/300MHz,
>     Hans> quite a small&simple document takes approx. 30 (thirty!)
>     Hans> seconds
>
> Please clear my confusion (not that I am trying to be sarcastic, I am
> just interested in DocBook format). Please tell me if I am wrong in
> any of these points:
>
> - by Docbook format, you mean the format documented at:
> <url:http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/>. Version 4.1 is the latest
> non-beta version, for XML and SGML.

Correct. This is what we want to use in future for documentation.

> - There is no DocBook XSL supplied with Cocoon 1 or Cocoon 2.

Correct.

> - The only DocBook XSL I could find is at
> <url:http://nwalsh.com/docbook/index.html>,

Correct. I use 1.16 - but 1.15 is not different in this respect.

> which doesn't work with Xalan, but requires XT/SAX instead.

It works OK with CVS Xalan/Xerces.

> I contacted Norman about this, he
> said one of the problems was a known bug in Xalan, which has been
> fixed (AFAIK) in CVS. He hasn't replied about the other problem
> yet. As far as I can tell, it looks like another bug in Xalan.

> What version of DocBook XSL works with Xalan? Or, does Cocoon somehow
> solve these problems?

Somehow C2 seems to solve these problems - the first request after
starting Tomcat still raises the exception and from the second request
on everythink works fine. If you use the xalan/xerces jars that come
with C2 from the command line, you always get the exception.

Uli

Re: [Cocoon Devel]C2/xalan/xerces: docbook format

Posted by Brian May <ba...@snoopy.apana.org.au>.

    Hans> P.S: Docbook XSL is not extraordinarily fast: K6-2/300MHz,
    Hans> quite a small&simple document takes approx. 30 (thirty!)
    Hans> seconds

Please clear my confusion (not that I am trying to be sarcastic, I am
just interested in DocBook format). Please tell me if I am wrong in
any of these points:

- by Docbook format, you mean the format documented at:
<url:http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/>. Version 4.1 is the latest
non-beta version, for XML and SGML.

- There is no DocBook XSL supplied with Cocoon 1 or Cocoon 2.

- The only DocBook XSL I could find is at
<url:http://nwalsh.com/docbook/index.html>, which doesn't work with
Xalan, but requires XT/SAX instead. I contacted Norman about this, he

--
Brian May <ba...@snoopy.apana.org.au>

Re: C2/xalan/xerces: NoClassDefFoundError: XSchemaValidator

Posted by Hans Ulrich Niedermann <ni...@isd.uni-stuttgart.de>.
Jeremy Quinn <je...@media.demon.co.uk> writes:

> At 00:56 +0200 03/08/00, Hans Ulrich Niedermann wrote:
> >java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
> >org/apache/xerces/validators/schema/XSchemaValidator
>
> I think this is another example of the currently broken Xerces build!

OK. I'll then try to find a better Xerces build. Or even better, wait
until somebody has introduced Xalan2 with a corresponding working
Xerces.

Uli

Re: C2/xalan/xerces: NoClassDefFoundError: XSchemaValidator

Posted by Jeremy Quinn <je...@media.demon.co.uk>.
At 00:56 +0200 03/08/00, Hans Ulrich Niedermann wrote:
>java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
>org/apache/xerces/validators/schema/XSchemaValidator

I think this is another example of the currently broken Xerces build!

regards jeremy

                                                       webSpace Design
                                            HyperMedia Research Centre

   <ma...@mac.com>     		 <http://www.media.demon.co.uk>