Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Sherlane Lam <sh...@yahoo.com> on 2003/02/16 11:58:16 UTC

OutOfMemoryError when running FOP in Websphere 4.0.4 but sucessful in Win 2000

Hi,

I am currently writing a fop serlvet.  The input is a
xml & xslt file and the output is a pdf file.  During
development, we write and test the program under Win
2000 and running in Websphere 4.0.4 environment.  The
font file is installed and the corresponding font xml
file is generated as well.  In Win 2000, the servlet
can run and generate the pdf file successfully without
error.

However, when we port them (including userconfig, font
ttf and xml) to the AIX environment (also running in
Websphere 4.0.4 environment), it cannot run
successfully, and throws the
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError.

The problem is all the userconfig.xml, font xml & ttf
files are the same.  And all these files can be found
by the servlet sucessfully.  We have also try to
increase the heap sizes to 256.  However, still fails
in AIX environment.

The expected output pdf is only 2 page with a simple
table.  Is there any difference between AIX & Win 2000
for running fop?  Should the font xml file must be
generated in Aix?

Do you have any comment?

Regards,
Sherlane

Re: OutOfMemoryError when running FOP in Websphere 4.0.4 but sucessful in Win 2000

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Sherlane Lam wrote:
> However, when we port them (including userconfig, font
> ttf and xml) to the AIX environment (also running in
> Websphere 4.0.4 environment), it cannot run
> successfully, and throws the
> java.lang.OutOfMemoryError.

I've run FOP in a WebSphere environment quite successfully,
even with rather large output. OutOfMemory errors are also
a problem but in our JVM (a 1.3.0 bugfix level) seems only
to happen due to memory leaking in case exceptions are
thrown across threads. Other JVM versions are reported to
misoptimize code, getting calculations wrong and having
more substantial memory leaks. Also, WebSphere 4 has some
implementation quirks which make the problem worse.

> Is there any difference between AIX & Win 2000
> for running fop?
No.

>  Should the font xml file must be
> generated in Aix?
No.

> Do you have any comment?
I vaguley remember to have read some hints  on the net about
conserving memory with WS4. It included stripping the classpath
and some configuration changes. Either search the net and ask
on a WS related forum, or ask your friendly WS support at IBM
(though they weren't of much help for us).

It might already help to disable the JIT.

J.Pietschmann