Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Steffen Gransow <sg...@quasa.de> on 2003/10/29 14:18:09 UTC

Struts and db access

Hi,

I am totally new to J2EE/EJB and Struts - so perhaps this is the wrong
place to ask. In this case I would like to know where I should ask my
question or what I should've read before again asking silly questions.
:-)

I have to use a Sun One Application Server and a PostGreSQL database for
a project. And I am sure that I want to use Struts because of the whole
MVC thing. I would like to know how I should access data in a
appropriate way. I think I want to use CMP and I am wondering where or
how I should address the database. Do I have to create a JDBC ressource
on the Sun One Application Server or do I have to define a datasource
using Struts DataSource manager?

I thought of something like:

          ------ Controller ------------ Actions
          |    (ActionServlet)              |
          |          |                      |
Client ----          |                      |
          |          |                      |
          |          |                      |
          ------ View (JSPs) - - - - - - Model (Beans) ------ PostGreSQL
DB

And on the Model part of this simple ascii art I think it would be nice
to have something like:

Action ---

         --- business logic bean ---
              (use a facade?)      |
                                   --- data representaion (entity beans)

Is this approach okay? Back to my question stated above: How do I get
the entity  beans "connected" to the database? Is struts independent of
this question? Should I try to do this by reading Sun's AppServer
documentation? ;)

Thanks in regards,

Steffen Gransow

anyone used multiple struts configuration file and tiles work together?

Posted by kean <ke...@pcdom.org.my>.
doesn't seem to work on mine ... being spending sometime trying to
figure out:P Any help to point to the right direction will be appreciated.

I do it step by step and make sure it's work on single struts
configuration files and single tile configuration file, then I move it
to multiple struts configuration file and follow the example given by
Ted, but without using the tile. it's work fine. Then I put in the tiles
in, and thing start to get unstable, sometime it's display fine and
sometime it's wouldn't fine.
I can't seem to track down the problem, here is my configuration file:
*struts-config.xml*
<global-forwards>
     <forward name="goToSystem" contextRelative="true"
path="/system/showIndex.do" />
</global-forwards>

*struts-system-config.xml*
<action type="org.apache.struts.actions.ForwardAction" validate="false"
parameter="system.index" scope="request" path="/showIndex" />

*tile-config.xml*
<definition name="system.index" extends="system.main">
	<put name="body"       value="/system/index.jsp" />
</definition>

the error message:
is path "system.index" doesn't start with the character "/"

my altimate goal is to used multiple struts configuration file and
multiple tiles configuration file, but now I would be happy to settle
for multiple struts configuration file and single tiles configuration file.

kean

Re: was Re: Struts and db access: OT: pgSQL

Posted by Mark Lowe <ma...@talk21.com>.
I'm sold.. Thanks Oscar and Vic.

I never touch windows anyway because its silly, especially when its
anything to do with servers. I had the pleasure to setting up an oracle
server once and I wouldn't volunteer a second time (although it ran
okay once the fooker was up).

Cheers Mark

Posted by st...@daydream.stanford.edu.

Posted by Vic Cekvenich <ce...@baseBeans.com>.
oh and another link

Re: Struts and db access

Posted by Vic Cekvenich <ce...@baseBeans.com>.
I did read a beanchmark on pgSQL faster vs Oracle et all, now I can't
find the link:
http://advocacy.postgresql.org/advantages/
.V

Re: Struts and db access