Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by varunpandeyengg <va...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/03 05:36:00 UTC

Nutch with Letor

Hey Guys,

I am new to Nutch. I am part of a IR research team & need to create a setup
where in I need to crawl Microsoft's LETOR Dataset (
http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/mslr/
http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/mslr/ ) with Nutch. After
googling for a while, I didn't get any tutorial or help. Could anyone guide
me for the same?

I am using Nutch 1.4 on Ubuntu 11.10 & Eclipse 3.7.

Till now I am able to crawl public network from my Nutch setup integrated
with Eclipse...

Thanks in advance.

-
Varun

Re: Nutch 1.4 with Hadoop - how does Nutch know where Hadoop is running

Posted by shlomi java <sh...@gmail.com>.
The Hadoop jar comes with some XMLs inside.
In core-default.xml you'll find the fs.default.name property.
In mapred-default.xml you'll find the mapred.job.tracker property.

You can simply override them in your nutch-site.xml with your desired
values.

SJ

Posted by Markus Jelsma <ma...@openindex.io>.
 It doesn't really. It'll look for hadoop on the path and Hadoop will
 then take care of it. You can submit jobs on any properly installed
 Hadoop node or external client if they share important parts of the
 config such as jobtracker address.

Posted by Dean Pullen <de...@semantico.com>.
Thanks for your reply.

Posted by Markus Jelsma <ma...@openindex.io>.

Re: Nutch with Letor

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
Yeah you can crawl the web as well as localhost, it's the same mechanism
(plugin) that you would use within nutch, http-protocol for HTTP.

Follow the Nutch tutorial for crawling the web

Lewis

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 3:44 PM, varunpandeyengg
<va...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I really appreciate your help... Thanks a lot. i think you are right and
> this
> is "NO GO"...
>
> I read somewhere that Nutch can crawl www as well as LocalHost. I really
> wanted to see how to do that.
>
> Although my question has no answer but i am marking yours as Correct...
> Thanks again.
>

> --
> Varun

*Lewis*

Re: Nutch with Letor

Re: Nutch with Letor

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
Having read a bit into the purpose of these datasets, also the reason why
they are actually produced I can see that this is not something which I
think is going to work with Nutch.

1) the datasets are machine learning data
2) the data consists of queries and URLs (pairs) represented by id's
3) further to this, the datasets comprise of feature vectors accompanied by
relevance judement labels

The purpose of this is to utilise the ranking algorithm (Learning to Rank),
to infer relative certainties (rankings) from across the dataset corpus.

Nutch does not do this, we utilise graph datasets (e.g. web) to do our work
on, this is not machine learning therefore you might wish to look elsewhere
for your answers... possibly Apache Mahout.

Alternatively get in touch with the people at Microsoft and pass your
queries there

mailto:letor@microsoft.com

It took me around an hour to download the dataset and in all honesty I was
really extremely dissapointed that there was no sure way of navigating the
dataset effectively... so I understand your frustration having pondered
over this one for a week or so.

Lewis

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 1:35 PM, varunpandeyengg
<va...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I think you are right about the wiki. Regarding Dataset, Yes I tried... But
> nothing worked out.
> Frankly speaking, I just don't know where to start it. I am guessing random
> things.
>
> --
> Varun

*Lewis*

Re: Nutch with Letor

Posted by varunpandeyengg <va...@gmail.com>.
lewis john mcgibbney wrote

Re: Nutch with Letor

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
Well I can categorically say that you haven't found anything on the Nutch
wiki regarding this dataset simply because it doesn't exist.

I'm assuming that over the duration of the week you've actually tried using
Nutch to crawk and score/rank entities from within the Dataset???

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 12:29 PM, varunpandeyengg
<va...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I tried searching for tutorials or wiki for LETOR and Nutch together. I
> even
> tried finding some other standard Dataset integration with nutch, but
> didn't
> get any success. It has been a week now and this thing has started to
> bother
> me... Help!!!
>
> I am waiting for the results...
>
> --
> Varun

*Lewis*

Re: Nutch with Letor

Posted by varunpandeyengg <va...@gmail.com>.
lewis john mcgibbney wrote

> Hi Varun,
>
> Apologies for taking so long to get back to you.
> I'm trying this out today (later), and will post some results/findings
> when
> I get them.
>
> Have you read any of the tutorials or publications from the research
> community regarding the LETOR datasets?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> *Lewis*

Hey Lewis,

Re: Nutch with Letor

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi Varun,

Apologies for taking so long to get back to you.
I'm trying this out today (later), and will post some results/findings when
I get them.

Have you read any of the tutorials or publications from the research
community regarding the LETOR datasets?

Thanks

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 4:36 AM, varunpandeyengg
<va...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hey Guys,
>
> I am new to Nutch. I am part of a IR research team & need to create a setup
> where in I need to crawl Microsoft's LETOR Dataset (
> http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/mslr/
> http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/mslr/ ) with Nutch. After
> googling for a while, I didn't get any tutorial or help. Could anyone guide
> me for the same?
>
> I am using Nutch 1.4 on Ubuntu 11.10 & Eclipse 3.7.
>
> Till now I am able to crawl public network from my Nutch setup integrated
> with Eclipse...
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> -
> Varun