Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by "Keith R. Bennett" <kb...@sms-fed.com> on 2006/06/14 20:40:54 UTC

Can I Create a Template with the Template Text Itself?

Hello...

I would like to do *both of* the following with my templates:

* use a template created from a string created in memory at runtime (as
one can do with evaluate()).

* have template caching (as one can do with template.merge()).

In other words, I'd like to create a cached template by providing the
template text itself (rather than a filespec, etc.), thereby bypassing
Velocity's resource management system.

If Velocity provides caching for files, whose contents may change over
time, why would it not provide caching for strings whose contents would
*never* change?

This would enable the programmer to:

1) embed template strings in test classes (without the need to create a
temporary file with their contents).  (Using evaluate() just for testing
is not acceptable because I want to exercise the code that the user
would be using.)

2) support template strings that are themselves generated at runtime

3) support nonstandard data sources

I realize that a workaround would be to create a temporary file with the
string's content, but that is convoluted and I'd rather avoid it.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

- Keith

Re: How Can I Search the Archive?

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@forio.com>.
Search for StringResourceLoader.

There's a couple of archives.  I like GMane.
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.jakarta.velocity.user

But here's a more helpful link with some sample code:
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VELOCITY-183

WILL

Keith R. Bennett wrote:
> All -
>
> Is there a way I can search the archive for a given string, say
> "String Resource Locator"?
>
> The only interface I see is to view messages by month (at
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-velocity-user/).
>
> Thanks,
> Keith

Forio Business Simulations

Will Glass-Husain
phone (415) 440-7500 x89
mobile (415) 235-4293
wglass@forio.com
www.forio.com

Re: How Can I Search the Archive?

Posted by jian chen <ch...@gmail.com>.
You can use mail-archive.com.

Here is the link for the velocity user mailing list search page:

http://www.mail-archive.com/velocity-user%40jakarta.apache.org/

Cheers,

Jian

How Can I Search the Archive?

Re: Can I Create a Template with the Template Text Itself?

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
This sounds good to me.  And some of this may have already been done
for you.  Search the archives of the user and/or dev lists for
"StringResourceLoader".  I haven't looked at it myself, so i can't
recall the details offhand, but i'm sure it would be a good place to
look.