Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Andy Timm <ja...@yahoo.com> on 2001/12/03 08:53:05 UTC

When to store files in DB vs. File system

Hello, I am developing a webapp where users need to
store files (<200k).  I am wondering if these should
be stored in the (mysql) database, or in the file
system.  I am concerned about the number of files I
could get in the database (possibility for 20,000+
users, so 100,000 files).  On the other hand, I plan
on replicating my database across multiple servers.
Do I then also replicate the download of each file, or
run a batch that copies them periodically?  I would
greatly appreciate advice from anyone who has dealt
with these design issues.  Thank you, Andrew Timm