Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org> on 2014/10/09 21:51:24 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Calcite 0.9.1 (incubating)

Hi all,

The Calcite community has voted on and approved a proposal to release
Apache Calcite 0.9.1 (incubating).

This will be the second release since the project entered incubation in
May 2014 as Optiq, and the first under the new project name, Calcite.

Pursuant to the Releases section of the Incubation Policy and with
the endorsement of 2 of our mentors we would now like to request
the permission of the Incubator PMC to publish the release. The vote
is open for 72 hours, or until the necessary number of votes (3 +1)
is reached.

[ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Calcite 0.9.1 incubating

Apache Calcite PPMC

Proposal:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-optiq-dev/201410.mbox/%3CCAMCtmeL%2Bgcf1yamWqRicpUJxU2tkyqGEzojd9nNXKmdEE3QwQQ%40mail.gmail.com%3E

Vote result:
5 binding +1 votes
3 non-binding +1 votes
No -1 votes

Artifacts:
http://people.apache.org/~jhyde/apache-calcite-0.9.1-incubating-rc1/

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Calcite 0.9.1 (incubating)

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@satisa.be>.
On Thu, Oct 9, 2014, at 12:51 PM, Julian Hyde wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The Calcite community has voted on and approved a proposal to release
> Apache Calcite 0.9.1 (incubating).
>
> This will be the second release since the project entered incubation in
> May 2014 as Optiq, and the first under the new project name, Calcite.
>
> Pursuant to the Releases section of the Incubation Policy and with
> the endorsement of 2 of our mentors we would now like to request
> the permission of the Incubator PMC to publish the release. The vote
> is open for 72 hours, or until the necessary number of votes (3 +1)
> is reached.
>
> [X] +1 Release this package as Apache Calcite 0.9.1 incubating

Re-reading the thread there might still be issues with RAT compliancy
and signing keys but as most of these release procedure requirements are
underdocumented and left as an exercise for the release manager, I
prefer to go for good intent instead of strict adherence.

So +1.

Steven.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Calcite 0.9.1 (incubating)

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Sorry here are the missing links from my last email.
1.http://www.hydromatic.net/
2.http://www.hydromatic.net/calcite/team-list.html

Justin

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Calcite 0.9.1 (incubating)

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 2:05 PM, Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>
wrote:

> > Even if the key is part of a web trust it may not be part of everyone's
> web
> > of trust. I'd see that as a hard requirement to meet.
>
> The last time this came up, Daniel Shahaf suggested an excellent solution:
>
>     http://s.apache.org/U57
>
>     No one said that a release need have only one signature...
>
>     1) RM prepares tarball, signs, uploads for voting
>     2) voting passes
>     3) mentor appends his signature to the .asc file
>     4) artifacts posted to dist/
>
>     That solves the problem for end users until the RM attends a keysigning
>     party.

Duh.

Excellent solution.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Calcite 0.9.1 (incubating)

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 10:28 PM, Justin Mclean
<ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> Even if the key is part of a web trust it may not be part of everyone's web
> of trust. I'd see that as a hard requirement to meet.

The last time this came up, Daniel Shahaf suggested an excellent solution:

    http://s.apache.org/U57

    No one said that a release need have only one signature...

    1) RM prepares tarball, signs, uploads for voting
    2) voting passes
    3) mentor appends his signature to the .asc file
    4) artifacts posted to dist/

    That solves the problem for end users until the RM attends a keysigning
    party.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Calcite 0.9.1 (incubating)

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 1:28 AM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
wrote:

> > First, the signing key is present in SVN, but has not been uploaded to
> the
> > standard key-servers, nor has it been signed by anyone.
>
> I found it here:
> https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?search=Julian+Hyde&op=index
>
> Even if the key is part of a web trust it may not be part of everyone's
> web of trust. I'd see that as a hard requirement to meet.

Better search fu than I had.  Kudos.

Connectivity completion in graphs is an example of a critical phenomenon.
Even uniformly selected graphs that have average degree above a relatively
small threshold will be completely connected with high probability.  With
power law networks, the threshold also applies. (look up Erdos/Renyi model,
percolation theory and giant components).

The practical effect of this is that having even a handful of signatures on
keys on average will cause a wide-spread web of trust.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Calcite 0.9.1 (incubating)

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 14 October 2014 04:40, Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My search was on the key servers, by using pgp.mit.edu.  The issue was that
> you, ironically, can't seem to search by key id.

You need to prefix the (hex) id with 0x, for example:

http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?search=0x2AD3FAE3&op=index&fingerprint=on

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>.
+1, forwarded from the PPMC vote.

Alan.

--
Sent with Postbox <http://www.getpostbox.com>

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Calcite 0.9.1 (incubating)

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Julian Hyde <ju...@gmail.com>.
Regarding Apache RAT. I think we have that covered already. RAT is run if you specify the apache-release maven profile, and therefore is run automatically when we make a release. You can run it standalone using

  mvn -Papache-release verify

As Ted notes, a few exclusions are needed. The top-level pom.xml contains those exclusions, and RAT passes.

Julian

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

Changing my vote to +1 binding.

> Here is a link to the [VOTE] [RESULT] email.

Thanks for that exactly what I needed.

> Is that link in the release, or did you find it via google?

It has copyright Apache on the  page so I assume it was the right one, the other at the apache URL needs a bit of work, but I assume that will be sorted out in time before graduation.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Calcite 0.9.1 (incubating)

Posted by Julian Hyde <ju...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

+0 (binding) Will change to +1 once PPMC vote is clarified.

I checked:
- vote may need another +1 (see below)
- hashes and signatures correct
- artefacts have incubating in name
- DISCLAIMER exists
- LICENSE and NOTICE correct
- all source files have Apache headers
- no binary files in source package
- can compile from source
- tests pass

Looking at the vote thread there is:
+2 binding
+3 unknown
+3 non binding

So I'm not 100% sure if the release has the 3 required +1 votes from the PPMC. Can you confirm that this is the case. For next release could you summarise the vote result via a [VOTE][RESULT] email.

Also any reason why the project seem to be hosted outside of Apache? [1] The team page list no members. [2]

As noted in discussion, release needs to be put in correct location.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Calcite 0.9.1 (incubating)

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 10 October 2014 18:59, Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org> wrote:
> OK, let me clarify as sebb has asked so that the vote can proceed.

Thanks very much, the new text is very good.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 10 October 2014 00:54, Julian Hyde <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Oct 9, 2014, at 4:41 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 9 October 2014 21:14, Julian Hyde <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> That information is all in the vote proposal: http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-optiq-dev/201410.mbox/%3CCAMCtmeL%2Bgcf1yamWqRicpUJxU2tkyqGEzojd9nNXKmdEE3QwQQ%40mail.gmail.com%3E
>>>
>>> I’ll repeat it here:
>>>
>>> The commit to be voted upon:
>>> http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-optiq/commit/6801257324d7515f91c61877a0edd0863c0433f5
>>>
>>> The artifacts to be voted on are located here:
>>> http://people.apache.org/~jhyde/apache-calcite-0.9.1-incubating-rc1/
>>
>> What about the hashes please?
>
> I don’t understand. http://people.apache.org/~jhyde/apache-calcite-0.9.1-incubating-rc1/ contains two tar balls (.tar.gz and .zip) and each has a corresponding .asc, .md5, .sha1 file. What other hashes are needed?

Those hashes need to be quoted in the vote e-mail.
Otherwise it is not possible to prove that the vote was was performed
on the same artifacts as the ones that are published.

The URL (and files) are transient and mutable.

But if the SHA1 of the tarballs are shown in the vote e-mail, then
this should be sufficient to show that the vote took place on the same
artifacts that were eventually published.

> If you mean the git commit hash, that is simply the commit id: 6801257324d7515f91c61877a0edd0863c0433f5.
>

>>> A staged Maven repository is available for review at:
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecalcite-1000
>>>
>>> Release artifacts are signed with the following key:
>>> https://people.apache.org/keys/committer/jhyde.asc
>>
>> Ideally please show the URL that will be included on the download page, e.g.
>>
>> http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/amber/KEYS
>>
>> There was no calcite directory, so I created it.
>>
>> It should be sufficient to add the KEYS file to
>>
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/calcite/
>>
>> By the magic of svnpubsub it will then appear at
>>
>> http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/calcite/
>>
>> Note: I also created
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/calcite
>> which can be used for future release candidates.
>
> Yes, I would have populated those locations but I am still waiting on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-8418.

I see. Oops. I have removed the empty release directory as it may
interfere with the Infra issue.

I will leave the dev directory as there was no optiq one

Posted by Julian Hyde <ju...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Julian Hyde <ju...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.