Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Erik Huelsmann <e....@gmx.net> on 2005/02/27 16:01:39 UTC

PROPOSAL: /ports top-level directory in Subversion repository

After initial positive reactions, it has gotten really quiet on the front of
the EDBDIC port of Subversion.

So, I propose the creation of a /ports toplevel directory in the Subversion
repository, to be populated with the EDBDIC port.

Each port will have its own /trunk, /branches and /tags directories.
/ports/*/trunk will be used to track the main /trunk. The tags and branches
can be used by the ports projects for whatever use they see fit (within the
bounds of the project ofcourse).

As for the EDBDIC port, once the port-directories have been created, commit
access can be given the same way we normally do in the project. Issues of
how to integrate with the main trunk can be solved while port-development
continues.

Comments?

bye,

Erik.

--
Lassen Sie Ihren Gedanken freien Lauf... z.B. per FreeSMS
GMX bietet bis zu 100 FreeSMS/Monat: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/mail

Re: PROPOSAL: /ports top-level directory in Subversion repository

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <e....@gmx.net>.
> "Erik Huelsmann" <e....@gmx.net> writes:
> > After initial positive reactions, it has gotten really quiet on the
> front of
> > the EDBDIC port of Subversion.
> >
> > So, I propose the creation of a /ports toplevel directory in the
> Subversion
> > repository, to be populated with the EDBDIC port.
> >
> > Each port will have its own /trunk, /branches and /tags directories.
> > /ports/*/trunk will be used to track the main /trunk. The tags and
> branches
> > can be used by the ports projects for whatever use they see fit (within
> the
> > bounds of the project ofcourse).
> >
> > As for the EDBDIC port, once the port-directories have been created,
> commit
> > access can be given the same way we normally do in the project. Issues
> of
> > how to integrate with the main trunk can be solved while
> port-development
> > continues.
> >
> > Comments?
>
> IMHO, let's go for it.

I'll wait for another day, giving people time to react.

> After all, if it doesn't work out, we can always stop.
>
> (Is there a long term plan to fold the EDBDIC changes into the main
> line, though?  Or is that unlikely-to-impossible?)

Umm, yea, that's where the previous 'can we host in the SVN repository?'
thread went into details. Brane suggested having a preprocessor translate
all string constants into arrays of hex-values. As Mark said, getting it to
work is their primary goal, after which integration is to be addressed.

Oh, there are some APR functions on OS/400 which have had their signature
changed by IBM (who didn't donate back to APR... :-(  ) So, those issues
will need to be resolved too.

bye,

Erik.

--

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
"Erik Huelsmann" <e....@gmx.net> writes:
> After initial positive reactions, it has gotten really quiet on the front of
> the EDBDIC port of Subversion.
>
> So, I propose the creation of a /ports toplevel directory in the Subversion
> repository, to be populated with the EDBDIC port.
>
> Each port will have its own /trunk, /branches and /tags directories.
> /ports/*/trunk will be used to track the main /trunk. The tags and branches
> can be used by the ports projects for whatever use they see fit (within the
> bounds of the project ofcourse).
>
> As for the EDBDIC port, once the port-directories have been created, commit
> access can be given the same way we normally do in the project. Issues of
> how to integrate with the main trunk can be solved while port-development
> continues.
>
> Comments?

IMHO, let's go for it.

After all, if it doesn't work out, we can always stop.

(Is there a long term plan to fold the EDBDIC changes into the main
line, though?  Or is that unlikely-to-impossible?)

-Karl

Re: PROPOSAL: /ports top-level directory in Subversion repository

Posted by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU>.
On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 02:42, Erik Huelsmann wrote:
> Given the fact that they will do releases too, you'd get an ebcdic area in
> tags too. Also, they intend to track trunk as well as the current release
> branch; yes, that could be two branches and a tags area, but why scatter
> that around the tree when you can logically group it in one toplevel
> /ports/ebcdic directory?

Because it's nice to be able to find all the tags in /tags, and all the
active branches in /branches.  A /ports directory would force people to
look in multiple places for these things.

Re: PROPOSAL: /ports top-level directory in Subversion repository

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <e....@gmx.net>.
> > Unless we are likely have 3 or more ports, I think the ports
> > subdirectory is just an unnecessary path element.
>
> Why not just stick everything in /branches/ebcdic/* ?  I fail to see the
> need for a top level directory when all this is is a proposal for what
> amounts to a new branch or two.

Given the fact that they will do releases too, you'd get an ebcdic area in
tags too. Also, they intend to track trunk as well as the current release
branch; yes, that could be two branches and a tags area, but why scatter
that around the tree when you can logically group it in one toplevel
/ports/ebcdic directory?

bye,

Erik.

--
DSL Komplett von GMX +++ Superg�nstig und stressfrei einsteigen!
AKTION "Kein Einrichtungspreis" nutzen: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl

Re: PROPOSAL: /ports top-level directory in Subversion repository

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
--On Sunday, February 27, 2005 3:47 PM -0500 Garrett Rooney
<ro...@electricjellyfish.net> wrote:

> Why not just stick everything in /branches/ebcdic/* ?  I fail to see the
> need for a top level directory when all this is is a proposal for what
> amounts to a new branch or two.

+1.  This *is* a branch that we intend to merge back.  They can create
/branches/ebcdic-1.1.x/ if they want or whatnot.  But, /branches/ is the
right namespace here, IMHO.  -- justin

Re: PROPOSAL: /ports top-level directory in Subversion repository

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net> writes:

> Why not just stick everything in /branches/ebcdic/* ?  I fail to see
> the need for a top level directory when all this is is a proposal for
> what amounts to a new branch or two.

+1.

Re: PROPOSAL: /ports top-level directory in Subversion repository

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Feb 27, 2005, at 6:38 PM, kfogel@collab.net wrote:

> Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net> writes:
>> Ok, so there's more than one of these kind of branches, that still
>> doesn't convince me that they're any different than any other long
>> lived branch.  What's wrong with /branches/vms?
>
> This is a bikeshed, but I like Garrett's paint best, FWIW.
>
> All branches have a purpose.  Why should the "porting" purpose be
> special?  Let's just put these in branches (or, if we want a ports
> area, then branches/ports/* is the answer).

+1

Re: PROPOSAL: /ports top-level directory in Subversion repository

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net> writes:
> Ok, so there's more than one of these kind of branches, that still
> doesn't convince me that they're any different than any other long
> lived branch.  What's wrong with /branches/vms?

This is a bikeshed, but I like Garrett's paint best, FWIW.

All branches have a purpose.  Why should the "porting" purpose be
special?  Let's just put these in branches (or, if we want a ports
area, then branches/ports/* is the answer).

-Karl

Re: PROPOSAL: /ports top-level directory in Subversion repository

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
"Erik Huelsmann" <e....@gmx.net> writes:
> Ok. To conclude: most votes have been for branches in branches and tags in
> tags:
>
> So, EBCDIC development will be done in /branches/ebcdic/* and their tagging
> will be in /tags/ebcdic/* .

Yes.  I think they should have the freedom to arrange underneath
branches/ however they need to, though, let's not get over-policied
about it.

Re: PROPOSAL: /ports top-level directory in Subversion repository

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <e....@gmx.net>.

> On Feb 27, 2005, at 3:14 PM, Garrett Rooney wrote:
>
> > John Peacock wrote:
> >> I would prefer a top level /ports/ directory, since I am going to try
> >> and make some time to start a port to VMS, which will likely be a
> >> very different beast than the native Subversion.  It may not be
> >> practical (or desireable) to merge any VMS specific changes back into
> >> the trunk, but I don't know yet how hard it is going to be.
> >
> > Ok, so there's more than one of these kind of branches, that still
> > doesn't convince me that they're any different than any other long
> > lived branch.  What's wrong with /branches/vms?
>
> +1.  Branches is branches.

Ok. To conclude: most votes have been for branches in branches and tags in
tags:

So, EBCDIC development will be done in /branches/ebcdic/* and their tagging
will be in /tags/ebcdic/* .

bye,

Erik (who will do the setting up).

Posted by "Brian W. Fitzpatrick" <fi...@collab.net>.
On Feb 27, 2005, at 3:14 PM, Garrett Rooney wrote:

> John Peacock wrote:
>> Garrett Rooney wrote:
>>> Why not just stick everything in /branches/ebcdic/* ?  I fail to see
>>> the need for a top level directory when all this is is a proposal
>>> for what amounts to a new branch or two.
>> I would prefer a top level /ports/ directory, since I am going to try
>> and make some time to start a port to VMS, which will likely be a
>> very different beast than the native Subversion.  It may not be
>> practical (or desireable) to merge any VMS specific changes back into
>> the trunk, but I don't know yet how hard it is going to be.
>
> Ok, so there's more than one of these kind of branches, that still
> doesn't convince me that they're any different than any other long
> lived branch.  What's wrong with /branches/vms?

+1.  Branches is branches.

-Fitz

Re: PROPOSAL: /ports top-level directory in Subversion repository

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
John Peacock wrote:
> Garrett Rooney wrote:
>
>> Why not just stick everything in /branches/ebcdic/* ?  I fail to see
>> the need for a top level directory when all this is is a proposal for
>> what amounts to a new branch or two.
>

> I would prefer a top level /ports/ directory, since I am going to try
> and make some time to start a port to VMS, which will likely be a very
> different beast than the native Subversion.  It may not be practical (or
> desireable) to merge any VMS specific changes back into the trunk, but I
> don't know yet how hard it is going to be.

Ok, so there's more than one of these kind of branches, that still
doesn't convince me that they're any different than any other long lived
branch.  What's wrong with /branches/vms?

-garrett

Re: PROPOSAL: /ports top-level directory in Subversion repository

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.
Garrett Rooney wrote:
> Why not just stick everything in /branches/ebcdic/* ?  I fail to see the
> need for a top level directory when all this is is a proposal for what
> amounts to a new branch or two.

I would prefer a top level /ports/ directory, since I am going to try and make
some time to start a port to VMS, which will likely be a very different beast
than the native Subversion.  It may not be practical (or desireable) to merge
any VMS specific changes back into the trunk, but I don't know yet how hard it
is going to be.

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group

Re: PROPOSAL: /ports top-level directory in Subversion repository

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Erik Huelsmann wrote:
> After initial positive reactions, it has gotten really quiet on the front
> of
> the EDBDIC port of Subversion.
>
> So, I propose the creation of a /ports toplevel directory in the
> Subversion
> repository, to be populated with the EDBDIC port.
>
> Each port will have its own /trunk, /branches and /tags directories.
> /ports/*/trunk will be used to track the main /trunk. The tags and
> branches
> can be used by the ports projects for whatever use they see fit (within
> the
> bounds of the project ofcourse).
>
> As for the EDBDIC port, once the port-directories have been created,
> commit
> access can be given the same way we normally do in the project. Issues of
> how to integrate with the main trunk can be solved while port-development
> continues.
>
> Comments?

"EBCDIC".

+1, except: realistically, how many ports are we expecting to have? Why not
just /ebcdic/* ?
Unless we are likely have 3 or more ports, I think the ports subdirectory is
just an unnecessary path element.

Max.