Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by Tomba Rakesh <to...@yahoo.com> on 2005/06/08 08:59:14 UTC

Jetspeed2 Security

Hi All,

Could someone help us how to start working on Jetspeed2 security. I have gone through tutorial of previous version, file structure and deployment style are totally different.

Thanks in advance.
Rakesh

---------------------------------
Discover Yahoo!

Re: Jetspeed2 Security

Posted by Randy Watler <wa...@wispertel.net>.
Amit,

You can define named <security-constraint-def/> types in the
WEB-INF/pages/page.security file and use these to control access to
folders and pages in the site.

These definitions can include user, role, and group specifications. See
the demo site.

So, perhaps you can find a way to model your needs with these? Let me
know if you think you need to expand this mechanism to make it work in
your case.

Randy

JS2-255 Proposal

Posted by David Le Strat <dl...@yahoo.com>.
All,

I have a fix for
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JS2-255 ready.  I
am proposing to rename the column "VALUE" to
"COLUMN_VALUE".

Regards,

David Le Strat.

Re: Jetspeed2 Security

Posted by Tomba Rakesh <to...@yahoo.com>.
Hi to all,

Using latest version of jetspeed "jetspeed-current-Tomcat-5.5.9.zip", we could add only users to "Role" but the gui does not provide for adding groups to "Role".

Is it possible to add groups to "Role"? If so, how to add (using gui or other ways)?

Hi Randy,

Thanks for clarifying my doubt....

Could you please tell me the steps for portlet permission. I tried on
"portlet.xml" and "web.xml", but it does not work.

Any related link may also helps us.

Regards
Rakesh

Randy Watler <wa...@wispertel.net> wrote:
Rakesh,

>WEB-INF/pages/page.security is actually usefull, so that specific user
could be assign to view, edit the page. My understanding so far
regarding "page.security" is that, user can view the page,
"adding/removing/change position" portlets to the page. So "page.security" is the security
applies to all pages, please correct me if I am wrong.

The "page.security" and related PSML tags operate
on the page level and control "view" and "edit" permssions for the
page,
not portlet permissions.

>But I would like to protect the portlets individually.
>How to assign permissions to a particular portlet "p1" so that the
specified users (u1, u2) and groups (g1, g2) can access it.

As mentioned by David Le Strat on this thread, take a look at the
portlet standard declarative security. In general, this level of
security is considered more a portlet responsibility than something a
portal should implement. However, over time I suspect that the two
concerns will develop a tighter interface.

Randy

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Jetspeed2 Security

Posted by Tomba Rakesh <to...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Randy

Re: Jetspeed2 Security

Posted by Randy Watler <wa...@wispertel.net>.
Rakesh,

>WEB-INF/pages/page.security is actually usefull, so that specific user could be assign to view, edit the page. My understanding so far regarding "page.security" is that, user can view the page, "adding/removing/change position" portlets to the page. So "page.security" is the security applies to all pages, please correct me if I am wrong.

The "page.security" and related PSML <security-contraints> tags operate

Re: Jetspeed2 Security

Posted by Tomba Rakesh <to...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks everyone for your valuable solutions.

WEB-INF/pages/page.security is actually usefull, so that specific user could be assign to view, edit the page. My understanding so far regarding "page.security" is that, user can view the page, "adding/removing/change position" portlets to the page. So "page.security" is the security applies to all pages, please correct me if I am wrong.

But I would like to protect the portlets individually.
How to assign permissions to a particular portlet "p1" so that the specified users (u1, u2) and groups (g1, g2) can access it.

Assuming various Permissions for specific portlet "p1" as
 1. View Portlet
 2. Edit Portlets
 3. Help
 4. Minimized Portlets
 5. Maximized Portlets
 6. Can add "p1" to a page
 7. Can remove "p1" from a page.
 8. etc.

Regards
Rakesh

Shah Amit <am...@hotmail.com> wrote:
Hi David,

Looks like that does answer my question. However, in my portlet, based on
the user who has logged on, I want to check if he has permission X, Y, or Z
etc. and based on that, I enable and disable some components, load them
differently etc.

Is that doable ?? Can X, Y, Z be anything other than the standard "view,
maximize, minimize" etc. permissions of portlet ?? Also, how would I access
those permissions from my action classes? (I use struts bridge)

Following is the mapping just for reference ...

Role J

P, Q, R

Role G

X, Y, Z

Thanks everyone for your helps !!
Amit

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Jetspeed2 Security

Posted by Shah Amit <am...@hotmail.com>.
Hi David,

Looks like that does answer my question. However, in my portlet, based on
the user who has logged on, I want to check if he has permission X, Y, or Z
etc. and based on that, I enable and disable some components, load them
differently etc.

Is that doable ?? Can X, Y, Z be anything other than the standard "view,
maximize, minimize" etc. permissions of portlet ?? Also, how would I access
those permissions from my action classes? (I use struts bridge)

Following is the mapping just for reference ...

<security-constraint>
       <roles>Role J</roles>
       <permissions>P, Q, R</permissions>
</security-constraint>
<security-constraint>
       <roles>Role G</roles>
       <permissions>X, Y, Z</permissions>
</security-constraint>

Re: Jetspeed2 Security

Posted by David Le Strat <dl...@yahoo.com>.
Amit,

I may be totally off base but I think that what you
are trying to do can easily be supported.  See below.

Regards,

David Le Strat.

--- Shah Amit <am...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> Thanks for your response.
>
> But I think it is still kind of insufficient for my
> situation. I dont know
> if that is the case for the originator of this
> thread, but I will explain my
> situation --

To do what you are trying to do, you will need to
leverage declarative security.  There is no portlet UI
currently supporting this (the permission part).

Companies A, B, C would map to Group A, B, C

> I have a few customers with companies say A, B, C.
> I want to have some permissions - P,Q,R,W,X, Y, Z
> I want to create some "high level groups" of
> permissions -
> J -> has P, Q, R
> G -> has X, Y, Z
> I -> has Q, Y, Z

J, G, I would map to Role J, G, I
where
<security-constraint>
      <roles>Role J</roles>
      <permissions>P, Q, R</permissions>
</security-constraint>
<security-constraint>
      <roles>Role G</roles>
      <permissions>X, Y, Z</permissions>
</security-constraint>
etc...

> Now I want to assign these "high level groups" of
> permissions to companies -
> A -> has J
> B -> has G
> C -> has I

So now Group A has Role J
Group B has Role G, etc.

> And then, a user simply belongs to a company.
> Joe -> Company A
> John -> Company B
> Smith -> Company C

And finally Joe is in Company A.

Hope this helps.

Re: Jetspeed2 Security

>I have the exact same problem !!! I think with J2, roles and groups are
>just 2 interchangeable ways of catagorizing users. I tried to find a link
>between those, but I couldn't. Finally I ended up designing my system
>accordingly atleast for now.
>
>I just check for roles in my system, and treat roles as "actual
>permissions".

Im not sure if I understand the question.
So please be patient with me if Im totally off target here.
It won't be the first time!

Do you want to "link" or associate, roles with groups. Is that correct?

In the database schema, there is the SECURITY_GROUP_ROLE table:

         <column name="GROUP_ID" primaryKey="true" required="true"
type="INTEGER"/>
         <column name="ROLE_ID" primaryKey="true" required="true"
type="INTEGER"/>
         <foreign-key foreignTable="SECURITY_PRINCIPAL" onDelete="cascade">
             <reference foreign="PRINCIPAL_ID" local="GROUP_ID"/>
         </foreign-key>
         <foreign-key foreignTable="SECURITY_PRINCIPAL" onDelete="cascade">
             <reference foreign="PRINCIPAL_ID" local="ROLE_ID"/>
         </foreign-key>

In the API, there is:

o.a.j.security.RoleManager:

     Collection getRolesInGroup(String groupFullPathName) throws
SecurityException;
     void addRoleToGroup(String roleFullPathName, String groupFullPathName)
throws SecurityException;

Re: Jetspeed2 Security

Posted by Tomba Rakesh <to...@yahoo.com>.
Hi David

This api could solve our group and role relationship issue. My understanding according your solution is "SECURITY_GROUP_ROLE " is used for group and role relationship. Correct me if I am wrong?

I found jetspeed2 using list of tables.
Do you have any document regarding what these table are for (I mean tables description).
It will be very helpfull to us if we know these thing so that we can provide our own GUI for security management.

-ve side: If new version of jetspeed comes along with different structure of these tables, our gui may not work.

Your Comment/Suggestion Please.

Regards
Rakesh

Re: Jetspeed2 Security

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

RE: Jetspeed2 Security

Posted by Shah Amit <am...@hotmail.com>.
I have the exact same problem !!! I think with J2, roles and groups are just
2 interchangeable ways of catagorizing users. I tried to find a link between
those, but I couldn't. Finally I ended up designing my system accordingly
atleast for now.

I just check for roles in my system, and treat roles as "actual
permissions".

I dont know if I missed something. May be someone who knows better than me
can comment ??

Amit

RE: Jetspeed2 Security

Could someone help us how to start working on Jetspeed2 security. I have
gone through tutorial of previous version, file structure and deployment
style are totally different.

Thanks in advance.
Rakesh

 Make Yahoo! your home page