Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Valentyn Tymofieiev <va...@google.com> on 2020/08/17 19:12:39 UTC

ANNOUNCE: Beam 2.24.0 will be the last release with Python 2.7 and Python 3.5 support.

After the discussion[1] on dev@ (bcc'ed), we decided to extend our prior[2]
proposal to sunset Python 2 by one more release, therefore we will be
removing Python 2.7 support in Beam 2.25.0 [3].

Moving forward, to have a predictable cadence for adding and removing
support for future Python versions, we came up with the following plan[4],
which I wanted to highlight on user@ for visibility.

1. We will aim to add support for a new Python 3.x version in Beam as soon
as it is released.
2. After a Python 3.x version reaches the end of support, we will remove
support for this version in Beam, starting from the first Beam release that
is cut after the end-of-support date[5].
3. The rules above are our default course of action, but can be adjusted on
a case-by-case basis via a discussion on dev@beam.apache.org.

By following these rules we will be removing Python 3.5 support in Beam
2.25.0.

Let me know if you have any feedback, questions or concerns.

Thanks,
Valentyn

[1]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r0d5c309a7e3107854f4892ccfeb1a17c0cec25dfce188678ab8df072%40%3Cdev.beam.apache.org%3E
[2]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r0de71d98d98b213dd1d0c45c1f5642135116f25def5637a5f41c8d29%40%3Cuser.beam.apache.org%3E
[2]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r4be18d50ccfc5543a34e083f3e6711f9f3711110896f109f21f4677c%40%3Cdev.beam.apache.org%3E
[4]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r7b17211ae235c03faed5dc2e9079f719359ca19af5745b99bb8d6f11%40%3Cdev.beam.apache.org%3E
[5] https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0602/
[6] https://www.python.org/downloads/

Re: ANNOUNCE: Beam 2.24.0 will be the last release with Python 2.7 and Python 3.5 support.

Posted by Valentyn Tymofieiev <va...@google.com>.
I am currently making changes to several jenkins suites, and I am testing
these changes by running a seed job on my in-progress PRs. This could cause
temporary unrelated test suite failures on your PRs due to different job
definitions. I will re-run the seed job in a clean state once finished, to
minimize the impact. Seed job also runs regularly.

Sorry about these possible interruptions.

Posted by Valentyn Tymofieiev <va...@google.com>.
+ dev, -user.