Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Don Steffy <Do...@kodakgallery.com> on 2007/01/09 00:29:41 UTC

SPOF - can I define more than one mirror of 'central' in settings.xml?

Here is my current settings.xml:

    <mirror>
      <id>mirror</id>
      <url>http://fawkes-dev01.ofoto.com:9999/repository</url>
      <mirrorOf>central</mirrorOf>
    </mirror>

As you can see, I funnel all requests through our corporate maven proxy
mirror.

However, there is a SPOF.  When fawkes-dev01 goes down, all the builds
fail.  So I thought I would create a second maven-proxy server to fall
back on when fawkes-dev01 is down.

I've created the second proxy server, and put the following in my
settings.xml:

    <mirror>
      <id>mirror-backup</id>
      <url>http://fawkes-dev02.ofoto.com:9999/repository</url>
      <mirrorOf>central</mirrorOf>
    </mirror>

    <mirror>
      <id>mirror</id>
      <url>http://fawkes-dev01.ofoto.com:9999/repository</url>
      <mirrorOf>central</mirrorOf>
    </mirror>

Unfortunetly, when I test this solution out, maven still fails when
fawkes-dev01 is down, even though I've added fawkes-dev02 to the list of
mirrors.

I've tried various things, and from my experiments, it seems maven only
checks the last mirror defined in the settings.xml, ignoring any mirrors
beforehand.  So I have the same problem of a SPOF.

Is this a known issue, or am I doing something wrong?  If anyone has
suggestions for eliminating this SPOF, please let me know.  Thanks.

BTW, the build failure is always the same:

[INFO] artifact org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-resources-plugin:
checking for updates from central
[WARNING] repository metadata for: 'artifact
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-resources-plugin' could not be retrieved
fro
m repository: central due to an error: Error transferring file
[INFO] Repository 'central' will be blacklisted
[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] The plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-resources-plugin' does
not exist or no valid version could be found
[INFO]
[INFO]
[INFO] Total time: 1 second
[INFO] Finished at: Mon Jan 08 15:10:02 PST 2007
[INFO] Final Memory: 1M/2M
[INFO]

-Don

Re: SPOF - can I define more than one mirror of 'central' in settings.xml?

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
Please see http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-714

This enhancement is scheduled for 2.1.

Wayne