Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2012/05/21 00:28:39 UTC

Please review trial load of Symphony dumpfile

The JIRA issue for loading the Symphony dump is here:

Daniel made a test load of the dump file here:
https://svn-master.apache.org/repos/test/danielsh/symphony-import/

It would be great if someone can (maybe from the Symphony team) can do
a check out and verify that this is correct. And if anyone sees any
problems, please speak up now.

Discussion here, but if we get a couple of +1's someone should update
the JIRA issue to give the go-ahead.  I'm traveling tomorrow so I will
not be able to do this.

-Rob

Re: Please review trial load of Symphony dumpfile

Posted by Yong Lin Ma <ma...@apache.org>.
On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 7:14 PM, drew <dr...@baseanswers.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-05-22 at 15:29 +0800, zhangjf wrote:

>> > Thank you very much for the build files available there - I installed
>> > the deb package earlier tonight, will put together some short
>> > screencapture videos as I look over, play with the trial work - my first
>> > impression is very positive..
>> > https://plus.google.com/photos/111286111779516013881/albums/5744902446191626369?authkey=COaE18DI05rmJg
>> >
>> > I took a wild guess at your name as here, so sorry if that is way off,
>> > and I _would_ mix in a correction :)
>>
>> That's fine. The video is very interesting, I like the background
>> music.  And welcome more feedback.
>
> Thanks - I'm a little confused by what I'm looking at here. Is the main
> reason for this to review IP clearance?

Are you asking what is this post for?  It is not for IP clearance
review. But you may ask if you get concern about that.

> The merge of the user interface changes, seems off, as it does not seem
> that the latest 3.4 code was used to do this?

Yes. This code base is not based on AOO3.4. AOO3.4 and the code bases
are more like two things development in parallel based on OO.o 3.1.

In short, the major part of this code base is OO.o 3.1 and improments
in Symphony and many improvements in OO.o 3.2, 3.3, 3.4beta and AOO
3.4.

I will add a Q&A item for this in
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Symphony

Thank you for bring this up.

Posted by zhangjf <zh...@apache.org>.
Not yet. You can monitor it's actual state at

Posted by Yue Helen <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by zhangjf <zh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.

Posted by zhangjf <zh...@apache.org>.

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi zhangjf,

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 10:30:53AM +0800, zhangjf wrote:
> Some 3rd party codes are not included in this repository, such as
> ext_libraries, ext_sources, but they are required to build the code
> base. And some extension modules are not included in Symphony code
> base since they are not used in Symphony, such as binfilter, xpdf...
> After the repository is loaded into right svn location, we will
> complement the code base for buildable purpose by moving some stuffs
> from AOO3.4. Please monitor the build guide in
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Symphony.
>
> zhangjf

Now I understand. Thanks for the explanation :)

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

Re: Please review trial load of Symphony dumpfile

Posted by Chao Huang <ch...@gmail.com>.
I have verified full build for Symphony's source code on Windows XP /
Ubuntu 11.04 / Mac OS X 10.6.8.

Here is a breif build guide for Symphony's source code
1) download Symphony's source code from
https://svn-master.apache.org/repos/test/danielsh/symphony-import/symphony/trunk/

2) download extra modules from

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/branches/AOO34/ext_libraries/

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/branches/AOO34/ext_sources/

3) dowload icu package from
http://download.icu-project.org/files/icu4c/4.8.1/icu4c-4_8_1-src.tgz , put
it in ext_sources and rename it to
af36f635271a239d76d038d6cf8da8df-icu4c-4_8_1-src.tgz

4) cd $SRC_ROOT/main
    autoconf
    ./configure ...
    ./bootstrap
    source winenv.set.sh / MacOSXX86Env.Set.sh / LinuxX86Env.Set.sh
    cd instsetoo_native
    build --all -P4

For more details, please refer to this wiki page :
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/How_to_build_Symphony%27s_source_code

Please feel free to let me know if you have any question. Thanks!

--
Best regards,
Chao Huang

Re: Please review trial load of Symphony dumpfile

Posted by Chao Huang <ch...@gmail.com>.

--
Best regards,
Chao Huang

Re: Please review trial load of Symphony dumpfile

Posted by zhangjf <zh...@apache.org>.

Posted by zhangjf <zh...@apache.org>.
This is a good idea. It avoids to check in all 3rd party modules
again. But since we have one extra ICU 4.8.1 dependency, we still need
check if it checks out both the local ext_sources directory and
external copying together, so we can put the ICU 4.8.1 module in local
directory.

regards,
zhangjf

Posted by Andre Fischer <af...@a-w-f.de>.

Posted by Yong Lin Ma <ma...@gmail.com>.

--
Regards

Erik Ma

Re: Please review trial load of Symphony dumpfile

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 6:39 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<de...@acm.org> wrote:
> I did a quick look.
>
> There appears to be a great deal of IP cleanup required, particularly Sun LGPL notices.  It is good that this is going to be in a separate subtree of the incubator/ooo/ SVN starting out.
>
> I have no way to comment on the completeness or accuracy of the materials, of course.

Right.  I think it is mainly for the Symphony developers in Beijing to
confirm that this is correct contents, and for us all to agree that
this is the correct location in the tree, i.e., ooo/symphony.

Posted by Yong Lin Ma <ma...@gmail.com>.
As far as I know, the Sun LGPL should be OK in this stage.

There is a IBM SGA which describes all kinds of license includes in
the contribution.

--
Regards

Erik Ma

RE: Please review trial load of Symphony dumpfile

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
I did a quick look.

Posted by Yue Helen <he...@gmail.com>.
I checked the status of the JIRA, and did not find any new update...Could
someone in Infrastructure team come in and help? Thanks very much in
advance!

Of course the source code has been in the test load directory, and everyone
here can access the code there...but better we can have it in the final
place, so that we are using the same terms when we start the discussion (we
can actually discuss now!) on how to leverage the code.

Helen

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Yong Lin Ma <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 11:33 AM, Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Yong Lin Ma;
>

> On 05/21/12 00:29, Yong Lin Ma wrote:
>>
>> Yeah, we integrated most enhancement/changes from AOO3.4.  Especially
>> those copyleft module cleanup work. We thought it is mandatory
>> requirement of contribution.
>

> I noticed the idlc preprocessor is still there so I guess some
> special care is still required before taking code from there.

Yeah, you are right. idlc preprocessor is still there. But it won't
impact the contribution from legal perspective. Thank you for point
this out.

--
Regards

Erik Ma

Re: Please review trial load of Symphony dumpfile

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
Hi Yong Lin Ma;

Posted by Yong Lin Ma <ma...@gmail.com>.

--
Regards

Erik Ma

Re: Please review trial load of Symphony dumpfile

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
Hi;