Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Tyler Akidau <ta...@google.com.INVALID> on 2016/03/09 23:14:29 UTC

Capability Matrix

I just filed BEAM-104 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-104>
regarding publishing a capability matrix on the Beam website. We've seeded
the spreadsheet linked there (
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OM077lZBARrtUi6g0X0O0PHaIbFKCD6v0djRefQRE1I/edit
)
with an initial proposed set of capabilities, as well as descriptions for
the model and Cloud Dataflow. If folks for other runners (currently Flink
and Spark) could please make sure their columns are filled out as well,
it'd be much appreciated. Also let us know if there are capabilities you
think we've missed.

Our hope is to get this up and published soon, since we've been getting a
lot of questions regarding runner capabilities, portability, etc.

-Tyler

Re: Capability Matrix

Posted by Tyler Akidau <ta...@google.com.INVALID>.
Thanks, all!

Re: Capability Matrix

Posted by Amit Sela <am...@gmail.com>.
Looks great!

Re: Capability Matrix

Posted by Kostas Kloudas <k....@data-artisans.com>.

Re: Capability Matrix

Posted by Maximilian Michels <mx...@apache.org>.
Well done. The matrix provides a good basis for improving the existing
runners. Moreover, new backends can use it to evaluate capabilities
for creating a runner.

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 1:15 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net> wrote:
> Catcha, thanks !
>
> Regards
> JB
>

> On 03/18/2016 12:51 AM, Frances Perry wrote:
>>
>> That's "partially". Check out the full matrix for complete details:
>> http://beam.incubator.apache.org/capability-matrix/
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 4:50 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Great job !
>>>
>>> By the way, when you use ~ in the matrix, does it mean that it works only
>>> in some cases (depending of the pipeline or transform) or it doesn't work
>>> as expected ? Just curious for the Aggregators and the meaning in the
>>> Beam
>>> Model.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Regards

Re: Capability Matrix

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Catcha, thanks !

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Capability Matrix

Posted by Frances Perry <fj...@google.com.INVALID>.

Re: Capability Matrix

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Great job !

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Capability Matrix

Posted by Tyler Akidau <ta...@google.com.INVALID>.

Re: Capability Matrix

Posted by Tyler Akidau <ta...@google.com.INVALID>.

Re: Capability Matrix

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Tyler,

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Capability Matrix

Posted by Kostas Tzoumas <kt...@apache.org>.
Great initiative!

Together with Kostas and Max we made a first pass over the matrix for the
Flink runner capabilities.