Posted to user@spark.apache.org by agg <ag...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/18 06:18:50 UTC

Nodes failing when using MEMORY_AND_DISK_SER

Hi,

I am trying to run kmeans (not mllib verison) on 8 machines (8 cores, 60gb
ram each) and having some issues, hopefully someone will have some advice.

Basically, the input data (250gb) won't fit in memory (even using Kyro
serialization).  When I run the job using MEMORY_ONLY, the program works,
but is slow (understandably), but when I try to run it using
MEMORY_AND_DISK_SER to spill RDDs to disk, I get OutOfMemory exceptions (for
heap space), and worker nodes begin to die.  I am running the job using the
following settings:

System.setProperty("spark.executor.memory", "55g")
System.setProperty("spark.storage.memoryFraction", ".2")
System.setProperty("spark.default.parallelism", "5000")

What is the best configuration for Spark for a scenario like this?  Does
anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!