Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Arje Cahn <a....@hippo.nl> on 2006/05/01 16:49:39 UTC

[GT2006] The 5th Cocoon GetTogether: call for ideas

Hi folks,

Following in Steven's footsteps, I'd hereby like to bootstrap this year's jubilee Cocoon GetTogether.
The sun is shining (kind of..), spring is in the air, and we need to start thinking about our beloved annual Cocoon gathering.

I believe the outcome of last year's discussion was that we all want the Cocoon GetTogether to be as much of a community driven event as possible. That's why I'm sending this Request for Ideas to the dev and user mailinglists. So here it is - if you got something to say, or have any ideas you'd like to share, please say it now!

- Who is willing to organize this year's event?
- Where?
- When?
- How long?
- How big?

Of course, I think Amsterdam is a really good place for Get Togethers, just as Ghent is, but maybe it's time to move again :).. However, I'd be happy to host the event in Amsterdam again. For now, let's come up with some ideas and get that Cocoon GT community feeling flowing again...

----

Kind regards,

Arjé Cahn

Hippo

Oosteinde 11
1017WT Amsterdam
The Netherlands
Tel  +31 (0)20 5224466

Re: [GT2006] The 5th Cocoon GetTogether: call for ideas

Posted by hepabolu <he...@gmail.com>.
Arje Cahn said the following on 01-05-2006 16:49:
> Hi folks,
>
> Following in Steven's footsteps, I'd hereby like to bootstrap this year's jubilee Cocoon GetTogether.
> The sun is shining (kind of..), spring is in the air, and we need to start thinking about our beloved annual Cocoon gathering.
>
> I believe the outcome of last year's discussion was that we all want the Cocoon GetTogether to be as much of a community driven event as possible. That's why I'm sending this Request for Ideas to the dev and user mailinglists. So here it is - if you got something to say, or have any ideas you'd like to share, please say it now!
>
> - Who is willing to organize this year's event?

I could give a hand but not organize by myself

> - Where?

Anywhere that's within easy reach of public transport.

> - When?

Same time: start of October, sounds good to me.

> - How long?

at least 2 days, maybe an extra Hackathon day. I had the impression that
  the Hackathon day moved Cocoon much more forward than a single "First
Friday".

> - How big?

Same size would be nice.

Just my €0.02

Bye, Helma

Re: [GT2006] The 5th Cocoon GetTogether: call for ideas

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
Arje Cahn wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Following in Steven's footsteps, I'd hereby like to bootstrap this year's jubilee Cocoon GetTogether.
> The sun is shining (kind of..), spring is in the air, and we need to start thinking about our beloved annual Cocoon gathering.
>
> I believe the outcome of last year's discussion was that we all want the Cocoon GetTogether to be as much of a community driven event as possible. That's why I'm sending this Request for Ideas to the dev and user mailinglists. So here it is - if you got something to say, or have any ideas you'd like to share, please say it now!
>
> - Who is willing to organize this year's event?

Unfortunatly I can't offer the necessary resources to host such an event.

> - Where?

Amsterdam is a really great town and there is a direct flight from Vienna (which
can't be said for Dublin ...)

> - When?

October is fine for me

> - How long?

at least two days for a hackathon and one day with public sessions; thinking
more about it, a three days hackathon would be even better. I know that not
everybody wants to invest 3 days just for doing programming stuff, but having a
location would be great for those (like me) that would want ...

> - How big?

of course the biggest portions of spare ribs possible ;-)

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc

Re: [GT2006] The 5th Cocoon GetTogether: call for ideas

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> On 5/1/06, Arje Cahn <a....@hippo.nl> wrote:
>
>> ...- Who is willing to organize this year's event?..
>
> You guys did a great job last year, why not repeat it ;-)

Yep!

>> - Where?
>
> Amsterdam is very convenient in terms of flights from many places.

Yep again!

>> - When?
>
> October was good.

Yep yep!

>> - How long?
>
> Two days is fine IMHO, but I'd suggest a two-days Hackathon including
> talks, see below.
>
>> - How big?
>
> Having just a Hackathon, with more or less improvised talks, might be
> cool and much easier to organize. People could sign up on site to give
> a talk while we're there, in an informal way.
>
> If I try to remember last year, for me the most information-rich time
> was the discussion of Cocoon internals at the Hackathon: a
> collaborative talk that didn't require much planning but where people
> could share their knowledge.
>
> The "public talks" day is also good, but such talks can also happen at
> ApacheCon and be received by wider audiences.

Exactly. As ApacheCon Europe is going to be held every year, it makes
sense to showcase and promote Cocoon there, reaching a more diverse
audience.

> Also, the venue should stay open (including Internet connection ;-)
> much longer than last time, say from 9AM to 10PM so that we don't have
> to rush out just when people start waking up....
>
>> ...I'd be happy to host the event in Amsterdam again...
>
> +1 for Arje and the Hippo team!

+1!

Sylvain

--
Sylvain Wallez - http://bluxte.net

Re: [GT2006] The 5th Cocoon GetTogether: call for ideas

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On 5/1/06, Arje Cahn <a....@hippo.nl> wrote:

> ...- Who is willing to organize this year's event?..

You guys did a great job last year, why not repeat it ;-)

> - Where?

Amsterdam is very convenient in terms of flights from many places.

> - When?

October was good.

> - How long?

Two days is fine IMHO, but I'd suggest a two-days Hackathon including
talks, see below.

> - How big?

Having just a Hackathon, with more or less improvised talks, might be
cool and much easier to organize. People could sign up on site to give
a talk while we're there, in an informal way.

If I try to remember last year, for me the most information-rich time
was the discussion of Cocoon internals at the Hackathon: a
collaborative talk that didn't require much planning but where people
could share their knowledge.

The "public talks" day is also good, but such talks can also happen at
ApacheCon and be received by wider audiences.

Also, the venue should stay open (including Internet connection ;-)
much longer than last time, say from 9AM to 10PM so that we don't have
to rush out just when people start waking up....

> ...I'd be happy to host the event in Amsterdam again...

+1 for Arje and the Hippo team!

-Bertrand

Re: [GT2006] The 5th Cocoon GetTogether: call for ideas

Posted by Marcus Crafter <cr...@apache.org>.
Hi Team,

G'Day back! Top idea - perhaps somewhere near the beach: http://
www.whitsundaytourism.com/ :)

> - London (blurgh. It'll be raining. Surely not? I suppose this is
> me volunteering a fallback location.)

Cheers,

Marcus!

Re: [GT2006] The 5th Cocoon GetTogether: call for ideas

Posted by Andrew Savory <an...@luminas.co.uk>.
Hola,

Sorry for the slow reply. Was hoping to have a chance to come up with a
concrete proposition before replying, but haven't got anything sorted
out yet, so here's some random thoughts instead ;-)

Arje Cahn wrote:

> - Who is willing to organize this year's event?

Always happy to help, though I'm not sure I could single-handedly manage
the whole thing ...

> - Where?

I think both Gent and Amsterdam have won places in all our hearts, so no
objections to either of them. On the other hand, I love having the
opportunity to spend time in new places so how about:

- Rome or Milan (ciao, Gianugo! ;-)
- Australia (g'day, Marcus!)
- London (blurgh. It'll be raining. Surely not? I suppose this is me
volunteering a fallback location.)

> - When?

The same time of year works well for me...

> - How long?

1-2 days is my preference: I felt a little wiped-out by the third day
last year. But if it's only two days, an early start to the hackathon is
a must.

> - How big?

Oooh, very :-)

> Of course, I think Amsterdam is a really good place for Get Togethers, just as Ghent is, but maybe it's time to move again :)

On the other hand, as I've said to you off-list, I think we could
explore hiring the hackathon venue later in the evening and doing a
proper beer-n-pizza event. Though I guess that's not limited by the
venue/country.

Thanks,

Andrew.
Tel: +44 (0)870 741 6658  Fax: +44 (0)700 598 1135
Web: http://www.luminas.co.uk/
Orixo alliance: http://www.orixo.com/

Re: [GT2006] The 5th Cocoon GetTogether: call for ideas

Posted by Andrew Savory <an...@luminas.co.uk>.
Hola,

Arje Cahn wrote:

> - Who is willing to organize this year's event?

Always happy to help, though I'm not sure I could single-handedly manage
the whole thing ...

> - Where?

I think both Gent and Amsterdam have won places in all our hearts, so no
objections to either of them. On the other hand, I love having the
opportunity to spend time in new places so how about:

- Rome or Milan (ciao, Gianugo! ;-)
- Australia (g'day, Marcus!)
- London (blurgh. It'll be raining. Surely not? I suppose this is me
volunteering a fallback location.)

> - When?

The same time of year works well for me...

> - How long?

1-2 days is my preference: I felt a little wiped-out by the third day
last year. But if it's only two days, an early start to the hackathon is
a must.

> - How big?

Oooh, very :-)