Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by "Farr, Aaron" <Aa...@am.sony.com> on 2004/11/01 18:58:00 UTC

Example "closed" site

I uploaded a simple example of an "Avalon is Closed" notice at:

http://avalon.apache.org/closed.html

This was based on the http://commons.apache.org site which was also closed
recently.  Any feedback would be helpful.

In related notes: right now there is some discussion over on the Excalibur
mailing lists about handling the transfer of framework, logkit, etc.  If
you're interested in assisting with the transition then please join the
conversation.

Thanks!

J. Aaron Farr
  SONY ELECTRONICS
  STP SYSTEMS
  (724) 696-7653

Note: the closure isn't official yet.  That cannot occur until after the
Board makes an official ruling at ApacheCon.

Re: Example "closed" site

Posted by hammett <ha...@uol.com.br>.
Hello,

I'd like a link to Castle as well

http://castle.sf.net

--
Cheers,
hammett

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Berin Loritsch <bl...@d-haven.org> writes:

>Adding redirects to the common well known URLs to the new location
>is important.  We should probably have a 5-10 second delay so that
>the person sees an explanation of why they are being redirected.

+1 That would already be a big help.

	Regards
		Henning

What is more important to you...
   [ ] Product Security

Re: Example "closed" site

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@d-haven.org>.

Leo Simons wrote:
> Farr, Aaron wrote:
>
>> I uploaded a simple example of an "Avalon is Closed" notice at:
>>
>> http://avalon.apache.org/closed.html
>

> I suggest replacing "Mailing Lists" with "Mailing List Archives".
>
> Perhaps we should also write a simple script which handles "educating"
> redirects.
>
> Ie if you visit http://avalon.apache.org/framework/ you'll be greeted with:
>
>   Sorry! That resource has moved!
>
>   You were looking for
>
>     http://avalon.apache.org/framework/
>
>   Which has moved to
>
>     http://excalibur.apache.org/framework/
>
>   To read more about this move, please visit
>
>     http://avalon.apache.org/closed.html
>
>   for more information.
>
> And if you visit http://avalon.apache.org/phoenix/ you'll be greeted with:
>
>   Sorry! That resource has moved!
>
>   You were looking for
>
>     http://avalon.apache.org/phoenix/
>
>   Which has moved to
>
>     http://loom.jcontainer.org/
>
>   To read more about this move, please visit
>
>     http://avalon.apache.org/closed.html
>
>   for more information.
>
> WDYT? Worth it?
>
> - Leo

                 - Rich Cook

Re: Example "closed" site

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@d-haven.org>.

Leo Simons wrote:
> Farr, Aaron wrote:
>
>> I uploaded a simple example of an "Avalon is Closed" notice at:
>>
>> http://avalon.apache.org/closed.html
>

> I suggest replacing "Mailing Lists" with "Mailing List Archives".
>
> Perhaps we should also write a simple script which handles "educating"
> redirects.
>
> Ie if you visit http://avalon.apache.org/framework/ you'll be greeted with:
>
>   Sorry! That resource has moved!
>
>   You were looking for
>
>     http://avalon.apache.org/framework/
>
>   Which has moved to
>
>     http://excalibur.apache.org/framework/
>
>   To read more about this move, please visit
>
>     http://avalon.apache.org/closed.html
>
>   for more information.
>
> And if you visit http://avalon.apache.org/phoenix/ you'll be greeted with:
>
>   Sorry! That resource has moved!
>
>   You were looking for
>
>     http://avalon.apache.org/phoenix/
>
>   Which has moved to
>
>     http://loom.jcontainer.org/
>
>   To read more about this move, please visit
>
>     http://avalon.apache.org/closed.html
>
>   for more information.
>
> WDYT? Worth it?
>
> - Leo

                 - Rich Cook

Re: Example "closed" site

Posted by Leo Simons <ls...@jicarilla.org>.

Re: Example "closed" site

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@d-haven.org>.
Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:
> "Farr, Aaron" <Aa...@am.sony.com> writes:
>

>>I uploaded a simple example of an "Avalon is Closed" notice at:
>

>>http://avalon.apache.org/closed.html
>

> I still don't understand why the "common" components like Framework
> or LogKit are not moved back to Avalon.
>
> These are core components from which all projects benefit, no matter
> whether they are called Excalibur, Metro or anything else.
>
> There seemed to be at least some agreement between the fractions that
> keeping compatibility to these parts is an intention of everyone. So
> why not put them back here?

Because the Excalibur team is going to manage those assets.  They have
demonstrated a better ability to do so in a way that is not offensive to
dependant projects.  The hiding of these parts from the "products" page,
yet having them as "products" on the download page was one confusion.
Not to mention the confusion of finding the documentation for the logger
and framework.  Lastly documenting framework apart from merlin code.

The thing is that having a TLP just for two small projects that amount
to about 80-100K combined (uncompressed) seemed a waste of resources.
Added to that the fact that they are pretty mature and are not likely
to need any fixes.  What community can be built around that?

The bottom line is that it makes the most sense to provide support for
the two libraries in a place that is both familiar with the libraries
and has a community that can support it already.  Since the life has
left Avalon, what better place than Excalibur?

                 - Rich Cook

Re: Example "closed" site

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Wednesday 03 November 2004 00:21, Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Stephen, you are no longer on the PMC, so you do not really have access
> to information on which to base these allegations.

Read http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=avalon-dev&m=109935141620970&w=2
and look at what Steve was asking.

Not that I understand why Steve is so eager to set the record straight of
whether it is a PMC decision or a PMC Chair decision to close down the
project, but I think he has a point. But do I care?

Cheers
Niclas
--
   +------//-------------------+
  / http://www.bali.ac        /

Re: Example "closed" site

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@d-haven.org>.
Stephen McConnell wrote:

> [...]

I believe that Stefano has a much better grip on Apache Software
Foundation policies and procedures than you.  Further, I will second
the fact that Aaron is working well within his duties as an officer
of the ASF.

If you don't like it, I'm sorry.  The software is still being supported,
just not here.  You need help with anything of that nature, you can
find the support in the new location.  What's so heinous about that?

                 - Rich Cook

Re: Example "closed" site

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@d-haven.org>.

Re: Example "closed" site

Posted by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>.
Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:
> I didn't mean "give them back to the Avalon PMC". As far as I can
> understand, the Avalon PMC is dead and about to be dismantled.
>
> I meant "put them back on avalon.apache.org. Because this is the
> logical place, that people looking at an org.apache.avalon.* package
> will search for them.

I want to stress that if the Avalon PMC is shutdown, that doesn't mean
we'll go about deleting all the Avalon code.  It will still remain
available from the download mirrors and subversion in exactly the same
locations it is now.  Newer versions (if there ever are any) of the
framework would be published over at Excalibur since that is who would
be doing the development.

Now, as for the site, there's still no solid descision yet.  We don't
want to just leave the current site as is, or even roll back to an older
version, because we want to clearly notify visitors that Avalon is
closed.  We don't want to give anyone the false impression that they
should join the mailing list looking for support.  We want to inform
them where they should go for support.  In this respect, we have a
couple of options:

1. Remove all current site documentation.  Redirect everything to a
"closed" page.  Offer prior site docs as an archived file on the
download mirrors.

2. Put a banner on the top of all the site pages which explains that
Avalon is closed with a link to more information.

In the case of #2 we would need to decide if we want to use the current
site or a prior version.

There really isn't much precident for this with the exception of the
Apache Commons project (which is different than Jakarta Commons).  That
project went with option #1.  But we certainly don't have to do the same.

jaaron

Re: Example "closed" site

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> writes:

>> I still don't understand why the "common" components like Framework
>> or LogKit are not moved back to Avalon.

>because "no one" of the avalon pmc members expressed interests in
>continuing this project. And the ASF does not allow a project to run
>without a PMC for legal oversight reasons.

>> These are core components from which all projects benefit, no matter
>> whether they are called Excalibur, Metro or anything else.

>True, and that's why it should not matter to you what PMC oversees them.

>> There seemed to be at least some agreement between the fractions that
>> keeping compatibility to these parts is an intention of everyone. So
>> why not put them back here?

I didn't mean "give them back to the Avalon PMC". As far as I can
understand, the Avalon PMC is dead and about to be dismantled.

I meant "put them back on avalon.apache.org. Because this is the
logical place, that people looking at an org.apache.avalon.* package
will search for them.

Why should the Excalibur PMC not run a second web site called
"avalon.apache.org"? Just for political reasons?

This is about outsiders and people that do not know anything about the
Arthurian wars coming to the project. This is about trust and faith in
the future of the avalon based components. If they flock around the
Excalibur PMC in the end, fine.

Re: Example "closed" site

Posted by peter royal <pr...@apache.org>.
On Nov 2, 2004, at 1:27 PM, Stephen McConnell wrote:
> That would be a change in the policy and procedures established by the
> Avalon PMC and as such would be subject to supplementary quorum
> constraints.  Are you saying that these procedures were not followed?

lazy consensus.
-pete

Re: Example "closed" site

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Stephen McConnell wrote [on and on and on]:

<yawn>

Stephen, in case you didn't realize, people are trying to put as much
virtual ground between you and them as possible, so that your stubborn
and obnoxious insability to understand what others are saying when they
disagree with you doesn't hurt them anymore.

So, be my guest, please, go on, continue, you are making my life a lot
easier :-)

--
Stefano.

RE: Example "closed" site

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

PMCs
> to indicate what the project wants the board to do to best fulfill the
> interests of the project and of the foundation.
>
> > These policies require a 'quorum' in order to establish a decision.
If
> > a quorum is not reached - this does not express a yes or no - it
simply
> > means that there was not a sufficient number of votes.
> >
> > Just for reference - was there even a vote on the subject?
>
> No, there was no official [vote]-subject email with +1 and -1 counts,
> no, and this is because there was no disagreement expressed so an
> official vote didn't sound necessary to give that indication to the
> board of what the PMC wanted the future of this project to be.

According to the policies and procedures adopted by the Avalon PMC a
decision of the PMC is made with vote of the PMC members.  If vote does
not reach quorum then the status-quo remains unchanged.

Re: Example "closed" site

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

RE: Example "closed" site

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@dpml.net>.

Re: Example "closed" site

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:

> "Farr, Aaron" <Aa...@am.sony.com> writes:
>

>>I uploaded a simple example of an "Avalon is Closed" notice at:
>

>>http://avalon.apache.org/closed.html
>

> I still don't understand why the "common" components like Framework
> or LogKit are not moved back to Avalon.

because "no one" of the avalon pmc members expressed interests in
continuing this project. And the ASF does not allow a project to run
without a PMC for legal oversight reasons.

> These are core components from which all projects benefit, no matter
> whether they are called Excalibur, Metro or anything else.

True, and that's why it should not matter to you what PMC oversees them.

> There seemed to be at least some agreement between the fractions that
> keeping compatibility to these parts is an intention of everyone. So
> why not put them back here?

for the reason above.

--
Stefano.

Re: Example "closed" site

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@d-haven.org>.

RE: Example "closed" site

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@dpml.net>.

+1

> There seemed to be at least some agreement between the fractions that
> keeping compatibility to these parts is an intention of everyone. So
> why not put them back here?

+1

Steve.

Re: Example "closed" site

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.

RE: Example "closed" site

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Just out of curiosity - on what basis is this taken:

  1. a directive from the Board?
  2. a directive from the Avalon PMC?
  3. you own initiative?

If this is a directive from either the Board or the Avalon PMC I would
be interested in seeing the supporting documentation.

Cheers, Steve.