Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ro...@tertio.com on 2002/06/12 11:07:07 UTC

fyi: tomcat 4.0.1 examples on MacOS X (error 404)

I recently downloaded
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/release/v4.0.1/bin/jakar
ta-tomcat-4.0.1.tar.gz but the servlet examples did not work (error 404).

Looking at the files in the logs/ folder showed there was a problem with
SetCharacterEncodingFilter.clas in webapps/examples/WEB-INF/classes/filters/
folder.

When I renamed this file to SetCharacterEncodingFilter.class the examples
were accessible!

It's probably something to do with my OS X being on a Mac compatible partition
and so filenames longer than 32 are truncated (?)

Hope this helps someone

Robert

Re: fyi: tomcat 4.0.1 examples on MacOS X (error 404)

Posted by Martin Jacobson <ma...@libero.it>.
Robert.Parker@tertio.com wrote:

> I recently downloaded
> http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/release/v4.0.1/bin/jakar
> ta-tomcat-4.0.1.tar.gz but the servlet examples did not work (error 404).
>
> Looking at the files in the logs/ folder showed there was a problem with
> SetCharacterEncodingFilter.clas in webapps/examples/WEB-INF/classes/filters/
> folder.
>
> When I renamed this file to SetCharacterEncodingFilter.class the examples
> were accessible!
>
> It's probably something to do with my OS X being on a Mac compatible partition
> and so filenames longer than 32 are truncated (?)

IIRR, the problem is either in Stuffit, or std Mac OS X tar - I
downloaded GNU tar, and have had no problems since.

Hope this helps
Martin.