Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by NORMAN <t1...@btinternet.com> on 2015/12/01 13:44:47 UTC

Serious Problems with Open Office and E.Mails.

Hello,
PLEASE PLEASE, HELP !!
I have had Open Office s/w for a number of years, upgrade whenever there
is an offer and my running s/w is Windows 7. I use the word processing
facility exclusively. Now my problem which has dogged me from the very
beginnings of my useage of your s/w.
I write a letter, two sides of A4 long. I click! SAVE and then go into
the Internet and using BT as my ISP write an e.mail to the recipients of
my letter, click "Attachments" , go into Documents, find the letter,
click it, and its Name/Ref. appears at the top of the e.mail. Then all
done .....I click "Send" and I am told it has been sent succesfully.
But it has not......the recipients tell me it cannot be opened, can only
be opened with a great deal of jiggery pockery, has a corrupt message
attached............
As you can imagine it is driving me crackers. Is there anyway you can
help , PLEASE ?
Thank You
Norman Viles

Re: Serious Problems with Open Office and E.Mails.

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Tue, 01 Dec 2015 12:44:47 +0000
NORMAN <t1...@btinternet.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> PLEASE PLEASE, HELP !!
> I have had Open Office s/w for a number of years, upgrade whenever there
> is an offer and my running s/w is Windows 7. I use the word processing
> facility exclusively. Now my problem which has dogged me from the very
> beginnings of my useage of your s/w.
> I write a letter, two sides of A4 long. I click! SAVE and then go into
> the Internet and using BT as my ISP write an e.mail to the recipients of
> my letter, click "Attachments" , go into Documents, find the letter,
> click it, and its Name/Ref. appears at the top of the e.mail. Then all
> done .....I click "Send" and I am told it has been sent succesfully.
> But it has not......the recipients tell me it cannot be opened, can only
> be opened with a great deal of jiggery pockery, has a corrupt message
> attached............
> As you can imagine it is driving me crackers. Is there anyway you can
> help , PLEASE ?
> Thank You
> Norman Viles

If they do not need to edit the document, export as PDF and send that.  If they do need to edit the document, Save As MS Word 97/2000/XP format (select from the dropdown on the /File /Save as dialog) and make sure "Automatic file name extension" is checked on that dialog.  This will open in any version of MS Word since 1997; more recent versions of MS word (post 2007?) will open .odt (OpenOffice's native format) files directly.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>