Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by sheryle Stafford <sh...@casra.org> on 2006/11/07 08:02:13 UTC

new here, big problem

I sure hope you guys can help me out here.  I am a non-techie that feels
like she's entering a tech world. I receive an e-news type of

deal daily through a reputable group in my line of business. I have
received these for at least 2 years now with no problem. Last week they
started getting interrupted and I was sent some version of the following
with them:

Our UCE (spam) detectors have been triggered by a message you received:-
From: enews@nyaprs.org
Subject: SAMHSA Report: Cost/Coverage Limits Primary Barrier to MH
Treatment
Date: Fri Nov  3 12:25:15 2006
This message has not been delivered. The detectors that were triggered are
spam, SpamAssassin.

The message to you has been detected as spam based on either its contents or
the mail server which sent the message to us, or both.

We do not accept unsolicited commercial (spam) e-mail and actively
work to stop it.

If you have any questions about this, or you believe you have received
this message in error, please contact the site system administrators.

Your system administrators will need the following information:
Server name: the antispam () MailScanner
Message id: AD5344E6A97E.99C0B
Date code: 20061103

__

Uh, yeah, sure whatever you say.  I do not have spamassassin, never
downloaded it.  I changed servers about a month ago at home and have checked
with my ISP and they do not use it.  The "from" address has not changed
either.

I retrieve my mail through Mozilla at home, the account that is having this
problem is on my work account so I don't know how that interplays
because I have a different server at home where I am pulling the
messages from.  The first day I got this was Sep 25 and it blocked all
the msgs (usually 2-5 a day) but it let 1 message through on the 26th
and blocked the others.  The 27th it let 5 through and deleted 2 for me
(gee thanks) but I got all but one on the 30th and all on the 31st.  you
get the idea.  What can I do to get my messages back?  And how do I stop
it from happening?
sheryle

Re: new here, big problem

Posted by John Andersen <js...@pen.homeip.net>.
On Monday 06 November 2006 22:02, sheryle Stafford wrote:

> The message to you has been detected as spam based on either its contents
> or the mail server which sent the message to us, or both.

Even if the content didn't change dramatically, the SOURCE of the enews
may have been reported to one of several spam-source-listings.
(Usually by someone who can't get off their mailing list).

In any event, Somebody is running spamassassin, it usually runs
in mail servers, not desktop machines of end users.

So follow Giampaolo's advice and see the people who run your
Email server.

And I have to include the obligatory: Spamassassin does not block
mail, it only classifies it.  Something ELSE is blocking your mail.

--
_____________________________________
John Andersen

Re: new here, big problem

Posted by Bob Proulx <bo...@proulx.com>.
sheryle Stafford wrote:
> started getting interrupted and I was sent some version of the following
> with them:
>
> Our UCE (spam) detectors have been triggered by a message you received:-
> From: enews@nyaprs.org
> Subject: SAMHSA Report: Cost/Coverage Limits Primary Barrier to MH
> Treatment
> Date: Fri Nov  3 12:25:15 2006
> This message has not been delivered. The detectors that were triggered are
> spam, SpamAssassin.

That reads to me like there are two classifiers going.  One is listing
itself as "SpamAssassin" and one is listing itself as "spam".   It
looks like both are triggered and listing the message as a spam
message.  The generic "spam" tag could be from one of many other
classification engines available today.

> The message to you has been detected as spam based on either its contents or
> the mail server which sent the message to us, or both.
>
> We do not accept unsolicited commercial (spam) e-mail and actively
> work to stop it.

This looks like a message inserted by your company.  This tells me
that some type of filtering is in the mail path to you.  Apparently
they continue to deliver a stripped form of the message when it is
classified as spam.  (That is actually a very bad thing to do because
stripped messages are themselves a form of spam.)

> If you have any questions about this, or you believe you have received
> this message in error, please contact the site system administrators.

The SpamAssassin folks here are a user community who contribute to the
use and development of the free tool.  This is then often deployed by
individual sites around the world.  I would guess that someone has
deployed spamassassin in your environment.  Therefore contacting your
site system administrators with this information makes sense.

If this is being filtered by your site mail administrators then they
will be able to adjust the filters so that these messages are not
classified as spam.  This is valuable feedback to them because many
users will experience the same behavior.

> Your system administrators will need the following information:
> Server name: the antispam () MailScanner
> Message id: AD5344E6A97E.99C0B
> Date code: 20061103

Well that is not very useful because it does not say the name of the
server!  This does not look like a spamassassin message.  This looks
like a message added by a site mail handler.

> Uh, yeah, sure whatever you say.  I do not have spamassassin, never
> downloaded it.

You are using a mail client to access your mail from the mail server.
SpamAssassin is a tool that is typically installed on a mail server.
We believe you that you have not installed it on your desktop.  It is
most probably installed on your mail server by your site mail
administrators.

Here is another important point.  There could be many mail servers
between the sender and the recipient.  Mail messages are passed along
hop by hop from one server to the next.  It is possible that for the
problem with this message that the filtering is not happening at the
final hop but instead at one of the relays in between.  Your site mail
administrator should be able to deduce this information from the
message headers.

> I changed servers about a month ago at home and have checked with my
> ISP and they do not use it.  The "from" address has not changed
> either.
>
> I retrieve my mail through Mozilla at home, the account that is having this
> problem is on my work account so I don't know how that interplays
> because I have a different server at home where I am pulling the
> messages from.

This information seems odd and seems in conflict with itself.  It
reads to me that you have two paths for mail.  One path comes through
your home ISP and your ISP is handling the mail.  Another path comes
through your work account which you are also using for mail and simply
accessing through your ISP.  Your ISP will only be concerned with the
mail through the ISP servers.  But the above messages indicate that
this is probably a problem through your company mail servers.  I think
you need to contact your company's mail administrators.

Bob

P.S. Note that your message went to a mailing list.  When you reply
please group reply to keep the mailing list in the discussion so that
all there may help and the answers will be available to others
searching the archives.

R: new here, big problem

Posted by Giampaolo Tomassoni <g....@libero.it>.
It seems to me that your work company runs its own e-mail server with its own copy of spamassassin. I suggest to contact the network and IT staff at work and explain them the problem: they can whitelist messages caming from enews@nyaprs.org.

Giampaolo