Posted to commits@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2005/06/24 17:54:21 UTC

[Xmlgraphics Wiki] Update of "XmlGraphicsCommonComponents" by JeremiasMaerki

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Xmlgraphics Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by JeremiasMaerki:
http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics/XmlGraphicsCommonComponents

The comment on the change is:
Scratching the itch again

   * More structured codebase
   * Easier for newbies to contribute to certain parts (They are afraid now of the big blob of code)
   * New (and now easily visible) use cases for certain components (examples: JPS services to allow Java applications to print to PDF and PS through Printables, PDF lib can be used independetly of FOP, etc.)
-  * Faciliating collaboration with "competing" projects like FOray and Defoe, i.e. work together on undisputed parts of an XSL-FO processor.
+  * Faciliating collaboration with "competing" projects like FOray and Folio, i.e. work together on undisputed parts of an XSL-FO processor.

  == The plan ==

@@ -24, +24 @@

  === Common repository ===

+ For the joint operations we need a common repository. Since we now have migrated both subprojects to Subversion we are in a good starting position for this.
- For the joint operations we need a common repository. Since we are supposed to move to Subversion sooner or later we may just as well go for Subversion for the common repository, especially now that we've already got an SVN repo for the XML Graphics site.
-
- Decisions: Batik and FOP will soon migrate to SVN which will make the reorganization easier and preserves the full history.

  === Parts affected in FOP ===

@@ -65, +63 @@

  === Organization and naming ===

- ==== Naming the individual parts (just an idea) ====
+ ==== Naming the individual parts  ====

- ''(axgc = Apache XML Graphics Commons)''
+ ''Apache XML Graphics Commons''

   * xmlgraphics-commons-pdf (PDF library)
   * xmlgraphics-commons-ps (PostScript generation and manipulation/post-processing code)
@@ -79, +77 @@

  ==== Possible layout in SVN ====

- '''Proposal 1:''' ''(discarded)''
-
- {{{
-
- http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xmlgraphics
-   +-- commons
-         +-- branches
-         +-- tags
-         +-- trunk
-              +-- axgc-codecs
-              +-- axgc-fonts
-              +-- axgc-image-adapters
-              +-- axgc-pdf
-              +-- axgc-ps
-              +-- axgc-utils
-   +-- batik
-         +-- branches
-         +-- tags
-         +-- trunk
-   +-- batik-transcoders
-         +-- branches
-         +-- tags
-         +-- trunk
-   +-- fop
-         +-- branches
-         +-- tags
-         +-- trunk
-   +-- site
-
- }}}
-
- '''Notes:'''
-
-  * this layout has the effect that we have four major products (batik, batik-transcoders, fop and axgc), where axgc may have additional (sub-)products for each individual components (if necessary).
-  * batik and batik-transcoders will always be released (tagged) at the same time but they have different committer sets.
-  * axgc builds each component individually (axgc-pdf.jar, axgc-util.jar etc.), as well as a collective (axgc.jar). If the individual components are released or only the collective remains TBD.
-  * All releases are always coordinated on the project level (i.e. on level Apache XML Graphics).
-
- '''Proposal 2:''' ''(amended by 2a)''
-
- {{{
-
[...]
-  * In this scenario, the PDF and PS transcoders are transferred to the Batik subproject under their repository.
-  * There are some from the FOP team who want to continue maintaining these parts so they need write access, thus they will need to be made Batik committers.
-  * this layout has the effect that we have three major products (batik, fop and axgc), where axgc may have additional (sub-)products for each individual components (if necessary).
-  * axgc builds each component individually (axgc-pdf.jar, axgc-util.jar etc.), as well as a collective (axgc.jar). If the individual components are released or only the collective remains TBD.
-  * All releases are always coordinated on the project level (i.e. on level Apache XML Graphics).
-  * This scenario is simpler than proposal 1 (fewer places to look for code), but the FOP team has less control over the code which makes up in important feature of FOP.
-
- '''Proposal 2a:'''
+ '''Updated Proposal 2a:'''
-
- 2a amends proposal 2 with the following items:
-
-  * Basic Graphics2D implementations and supporting code (pattern classes) go into Commons (Batik only gets the Transcoders)
-  * Name change: JARs are called xmlgraphics-commons(-<part>).jar

  {{{

@@ -188, +107 @@

  }}}

+ '''Notes:'''
+
+  * In this scenario, the PDF and PS transcoders are transferred to the Batik subproject under their repository.
+  * Basic Graphics2D implementations and supporting code (pattern classes) go into Commons (Batik only gets the Transcoders)
+  * this layout has the effect that we have three major products (batik, fop and xmlgraphics-commons), where axgc may have additional (sub-)products for each individual components (if necessary).
+  * axgc builds each component individually (xmlgraphics-commons-pdf.jar, xmlgraphics-commons-utils.jar etc.), as well as a collective (xmlgraphics-commons.jar). If the individual components are released or only the collective remains TBD.
+  * All releases are always coordinated on the project level (i.e. on level Apache XML Graphics).
+  * This scenario is simpler than proposal 1 (fewer places to look for code), but the FOP team has less control over the code which makes up in important feature of FOP.
+
  === Notes on additional use cases for the separated components ===

   * PDFDocumentGraphics2D and PSDocumentGraphics2D can be used to create streamed print services for JPS which would allow arbitrary Java applications to create PDF and PostScript by simply printing to JPS.
@@ -197, +125 @@

  === work items ===

+ ''closed''
+
+  * Move Batik and FOP to Subversion.
+
+ ''open''
+
   * Complete and discuss this plan and vote on it.
-  * Move Batik and FOP to Subversion. (Will be done after the imminent Batik release. Vote passed.)
   * Clean up dependencies.
   * Create basic exception classes so the dependency on org.apache.fop.apps disappears.
   * Create common repository.