Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Inge Solvoll <in...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/16 10:53:50 UTC

OT: Better Java performance on Linux

Sorry about this OT question, but I figured you guys were the right ones to
ask about this.

A friend of mine (big linux fan) told me that tests at his workplace
indicated a huge (up to 500%) java performance gap between linux and windows
on machines running on the same hardware, in favour of linux. Sorry also
about the lack of detail here, I don't know the OS and Java version. I'll
get more details from my friend if my description of the issue doesn't ring
a bell with anyone. You can assume that all software is max 1-2 years old.

Has anyone here experienced anything similar, with either OS performing
vastly better on any java task? Is the gap widening or closing with newer
versions of Java and OS?

Thanks

Inge

Re: OT: Better Java performance on Linux

Posted by Marilen Corciovei <le...@nemesisit.rdsnet.ro>.
We are doing all development and deployment on Linux (Unix) servers but
one big difference I have noticed is when installing on Sun machines. We
have an application deployed on a Sun-Fire v210 and the java part
behaves much faster on sun than on a similar linux server while the C
part behaves sometimes slower. Seems normal that the most optimisation
takes place on the sun machines.

Len
www.len.ro

Posted by Martin Strand <do...@gmail.com>.
Are you sure it wasn't just -server vs -client VM?
I've seen the server VM (in certain apps) be up to 500% faster than the
client VM.

Posted by andyhot <an...@di.uoa.gr>.
Inge Solvoll wrote:
> Sorry about this OT question, but I figured you guys were the right
> ones to
> ask about this.
>
> A friend of mine (big linux fan) told me that tests at his workplace
> indicated a huge (up to 500%) java performance gap between linux and
> windows
> on machines running on the same hardware, in favour of linux. Sorry also
> about the lack of detail here, I don't know the OS and Java version. I'll
> get more details from my friend if my description of the issue doesn't
> ring
> a bell with anyone. You can assume that all software is max 1-2 years
> old.
>
> Has anyone here experienced anything similar, with either OS performing
> vastly better on any java task? Is the gap widening or closing with newer
> versions of Java and OS?

I did experience something like this a few years ago - was still using
tomcat for dev back then
and java1.4.something and i'd get 20-30 sec restarts in win while 5 sec
max in the same machine
booting in Gentoo.

Now, i wouldn't attribute all of this to java (perhaps my win was
running lots of crap under the cover)
but then again, it didn't really matter... the performance diff was huge!

--
Andreas Andreou - andyhot@apache.org - http://andyhot.di.uoa.gr
Tapestry / Tacos developer

Re: OT: Better Java performance on Linux

Posted by Martin Strand <do...@gmail.com>.
You should definitely run the server VM. Check java -version, some linux
packages are already configured to use the server VM. Otherwise, just pass
-server to java when you start it.

Posted by Mark Stang <ms...@pingidentity.com>.
Inge,
For development, I would use the desktop version, it starts and stops quicker.  As far as the garbage collection goes, you probably won't see it with all the restarts.  However, for production server, I would use the J2EE Server version.  And ultimately, you might want to modify the start-up parameters to get what you want.  You might want to try a profiler to see where your memory usage is at it's worst.

regards,

Mark

Mark J. Stang
Senior Engineer/Architect
office: +1 303.468.2900
mobile: +1 303.507.2833
Ping Identity

Posted by Inge Solvoll <in...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Inge Solvoll <in...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Danny Angus <Da...@slc.co.uk>.

Posted by Danny Angus <Da...@slc.co.uk>.
"Inge Solvoll" <in...@gmail.com> wrote on 16/01/2007 09:53:50:

> A friend of mine (big linux fan) told me that tests at his workplace
> indicated a huge (up to 500%) java performance gap between linux and
windows

<snip>

> Has anyone here experienced anything similar, with either OS performing
> vastly better on any java task? Is the gap widening or closing with
newer
> versions of Java and OS?

The reason for this is probably that the windows version of Sun's JVM is
set up with defaults for memory sizes and garbage colletion algorythms
which are optimised for a desktop pc, not a server.

All of these options can be changed manually, and a true comparions can
only be made where both instances are set up with the same values on the
same hardware.

At a simple level using -server on both will narrow the gap, but only a
good knowledge (and a refrence book) will ensure that the two things are
the same.

You should tune your server processes, and refine your applications,
according to the resource use that you measure in tests and in the wild.

I'm sorry I don't have a refrence for you to look at, but you might like
to look at my slides from apacheconEU06 at which I talked about Garbage
collection tuning.